Author Topic: Large Cities VS Country Living.  (Read 403 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Large Cities VS Country Living.
« on: July 18, 2020, 03:00:58 PM »
I think our government will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there are vacant lands in any part of America.
When they get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, they will becomes corrupt as in Europe.

Thomas Jefferson,
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
Re: Large Cities VS Country Living.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 03:16:56 PM »
When they get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe”
[/size]
[/size]Hmmm. When was the last time you were in Europe and drove around Spain, France, Italy, England? It is true that you wont find the wide open spaces of our West and Midwest but “piled upon one another”....nah.  Small town life is basic to European culture.
[/size]Pete

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 04:04:56 PM »
 England , square miles.. 50,346   population  67 million

Ohio, square miles..44,825          population... 11.73 million

New York State, square miles.. 54,556   population... 19.4 million

Belgium, square miles... 11,849     population... 11.46 million

Maine, square miles.. 35,385      population... 1.33 million

I cannot speak for all of Europe, but where I lived in Europe, "country living" was virtually non-existent, small town or hamlet, was about as far as they would go.  For the most part, small farmers lived in little villages, and went out to their fields daily.
  To my understanding, one could live in the country , but they were required to make use of municipal utilities.. gas, water, electric and sewage.  Try living just 2-3 miles from town, and paying for the installation of all those utilities.
  You can google earth and see that Europe is covered with small village clusters, between cities.  ..But perhaps now, the larger, consolidated farms have special allowances, so far as utilities etc. are concerned, so they can be involved in "country living".
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Dee

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 11:02:40 PM »

Hmmm. When was the last time you were in Europe and drove around Spain, France, Italy, England? It is true that you wont find the wide open spaces of our West and Midwest but “piled upon one another”....nah.  Small town life is basic to European culture.
Pete

Well, I guess Thomas Jefferson should have fact checked with you before he said that.

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 01:48:27 PM »
New Mexico,square miles---121,697    population---2.1 million. Our political situation is decided by the canker that surrounds the crossroads of I-40 and I-25 and extends north to Santa Fe.

Offline darkgael

• The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »

Hmmm. When was the last time you were in Europe and drove around Spain, France, Italy, England? It is true that you wont find the wide open spaces of our West and Midwest but “piled upon one another”....nah.  Small town life is basic to European culture.
Pete

I missed the Jefferson attribution. My error. Sorry about that (and don’t I feel silly now).
Pete

Well, I guess Thomas Jefferson should have fact checked with you before he said that.

Offline Dee

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »
Never been to Europe, ain't nuthin over there that interests me. But I got his point.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 04:12:08 PM »
Took 2 wars to get 'em to go back
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .