Author Topic: The Classic .30-30 Winchester  (Read 14268 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: The Classic .30-30 Winchester
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2021, 11:29:51 PM »
i limit head shots to about a 150 yards. After that its rib shots because like was said there isnt enough meat to bother with. Im talking a moa bolt action rifle. If i miss a deers head at a 150 yards with a moa rifle its lack of skill not an equipment issue. Id never try it with a muzzle loader or a 3moa lever action. Matter of fact in my opinion a 150 yards is about time to put away that wnchester 94 even if your taking rib shots.
Yeah, trying for head shots at long yardage is irresponsible IMO.
My longest shot at a deer was 50 yards shooting a .490 roundball out of a CVA left hand Hawken.
It was dim light in the woods and I shot high and took out about 8" of his backbone.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2021, 11:53:27 PM »
yup and i cant count the deer that ive seen gut shot by someone aiming at the front shoulders too. What needs to be factored in is skill level. Theres many even here that do more talking then shooting and sure arent capable of shooting a deer in the head at even a 100 yards reliably. But what i get a kick out of is instead of admitting that they want to claim that nobody should even try it. After all that would just be admitting they cant shoot. thats what the internet lets you do. Shoot 20 rounds a year out of your deer rifle and shoot MAYBE ten deer in your life and your allowed to claim to be an expert. (those last two sentences werent aimed at you orerancher)
Watched a Guy shoot the Lower Jaw off a Deer Once....

I was able to Catch up with It about 4hours later and Put It Down....Without the Dog, Don't Think I woulda ever Found It....
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2021, 03:06:53 AM »
  I'm not in favor of head shooting deer either, and I think I've shot more than 10 deer in my life...  lol

From my range days, dealing with the public, I'd say more than 99% of the hunters out there, couldn't "reliable" hit a deer in the head every shot under field conditions at 100 yards, maybe not even 50 yards.

My dad was the greatest game shot I've ever seen, and even he wasn't a fan of head shots...

DM

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2021, 03:27:53 AM »
  I'm not in favor of head shooting deer either, and I think I've shot more than 10 deer in my life...  lol

From my range days, dealing with the public, I'd say more than 99% of the hunters out there, couldn't "reliable" hit a deer in the head every shot under field conditions at 100 yards, maybe not even 50 yards.

My dad was the greatest game shot I've ever seen, and even he wasn't a fan of head shots...

DM

Given the size of a deers head, and their tendencies for quick movements of their head, I would consider a 100 yard shot at a deers head, a foolish shot. Blowing a deers jaw off, or something similar, is very possible and this could easily happen even at 50 yards.

My shot of choice is a heart lung shot. A a whitetail will usually hump up, maybe buck a little bit, but seldom cover more than 25 or 30 yards.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2021, 06:07:07 AM »

DM

Given the size of a deers head, and their tendencies for quick movements of their head, I would consider a 100 yard shot at a deers head, a foolish shot. Blowing a deers jaw off, or something similar, is very possible and this could easily happen even at 50 yards.

My shot of choice is a heart lung shot. A a whitetail will usually hump up, maybe buck a little bit, but seldom cover more than 25 or 30 yards.

I completely agree with both of you.  Compared to the heart/lung area, a deer head moves a lot in a fraction of a second and only a couple inches is the difference between a kill and a God awful agonizing slow death.  Now most who take head shots won't admit that they've made a bad shot here and there, making it easy to defend.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline orerancher

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2021, 07:48:17 AM »
Lot's of guys with High dollar Rifles, Shoot SubMOA Groups....But make Em get away from the Bench....Some of Em Can't put 5 Shots on a Paper Plate at 50yds...

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2021, 08:12:35 AM »

DM

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
A tiny whiff of man scent, coyote scent, or even another deer scent, can cause that deer to suddenly jerk its head up or to the side, or even take off running.
But if you're an ace shot with a moa rifle those things don't happen to you, just us rifle klutzes whose knuckles drag when we walk. :)
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Eddie Southgate

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2022, 10:37:52 AM »
I would never have owned a 94 except a friend gave me one quite a few years ago. It should qualify as a classic. It is a saddle ring carbine with an octagon barrel and if the serial number information is correct it is 102 years old. It doesn't have a speck of blue left but the action is smooth and tight and the wood is in good shape with a little figure in the fore end. Now if someone hadn't shot corrosive ammo and not cleaned it, it would be a nice old gun. I have never shot it and doubt it would shoot a six inch group at 25 yards.

Drop it off at my house, I'll shoot it for you . ;D

Offline Eddie Southgate

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2022, 10:42:58 AM »
thats one thing ill argue. The 3030 is the only round (i know of) that has bullets made specifically for it and there thin jacketed and expand EASILY. Some of the most shot up deer ive processed were shot with 3030s. They tend to do alot more damage then an 06 shooting 180s or even a 270 shooting 150s. Its why the 3030 kills better then it should. Only gun i played with that was worse up close was a 300 wsm i had. It was finicky and only liked 150 hornady sst's. They were absolutely like bombs hitting deer under 200 yards. That gun lasted one season and i sold it.
The only thing holding back a 30-30 is effective yardage, otherwise it's a 30 cal just like the 300 win mag, 300 ultra mag, etc.  At 100 yards or less, it's better than the big boys as it doesn't destroy as much meat.

Lots of good Lead bullet loads that don't do all that damage . They still kill just as well as they did before jacketed bullets were a thing , not to mention they are cheaper to load by a good bit.

Or your shoulder.

Offline Eddie Southgate

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2024, 07:39:47 AM »
I load for 3 '94 Winchesters , two in 30-30 and one in .32 Special. One 30-30 will be going to JES for reboring to 38-55 , hopefully before too long . Gonna get a valve job on the 29th of this month so it will be a while before I can get it done. Both 30-30's are newer guns . one from 1964 and the other is I think a 1972 . The .32 is a 1911 and is a far better built gun than the others, I prefer the .32 anyway . All of the lever gun posts seem to be dying of old age , are all of the lever gunners on here doing the same ?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2024, 11:05:13 AM »
Most of our posters are from mid 60s to mid 80s in age. I'm in the soon to be 80 range as I'll be 79 next month.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Eddie Southgate

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2024, 04:07:33 AM »
I'm in the won't be too long till 70 but not there yet hardly group.