Author Topic: question on picatinney rails  (Read 959 times)

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
question on picatinney rails
« on: July 30, 2020, 06:44:15 AM »
    For shots 300 yards and shorter with small calibers like .17 .22  calibers    can you get by with 0 moa rails or should you go with a 20 moa ?

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: question on picatinney rails
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
Here you go..McBammer.

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/rimfire/moa-and-adjustment-required-for-shooting-22lr-long-range/
   Thanks , should have mentioned shooting  centerfire  .17 & .22  rifles  .

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: question on picatinney rails
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 06:07:38 PM »
If you are talking centerfires then the answer is definitely no you don't need anything but a flat base. With my .17 Fireball all I had to do was aim where I wanted it to hit out to 300 and it was flat enough to not require any sighting adjustment for prairie dogs.

Out beyond 500 yards you might but I doubt it with most any .17 or 22 centerfire as big as the .223. I've shot PD out to well over 400 yards with the .223 tho the .22-250 sure made hits that far out easier.

Those 20 MOA bases are only needed out really far like 700 yards and more. Even then I'd bet most scopes could be adjusted enough.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!