Author Topic: Test Driving the Glock 43 Single-Stack 9mm  (Read 927 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Test Driving the Glock 43 Single-Stack 9mm
« on: August 14, 2020, 08:58:47 AM »
https://gundigest.com/article/test-driving-glock-g43-single-stack-9mm

By Jim Schlender -

When it comes to 1 pound carry pistols, it doesn't get much sweeter than the Glock 43.

Why the single-stack Glock 43 was necessary:

Provides a slimmer concealed carry option.

Large enough to remain highly manageable.

Enough grip to engage entire hand.

Offers caliber upgrade on the single-stack Glock 42.

Strong law enforcement appeal as a backup gun.

Back in 2015, we broke the news about Glock’s long-awaited single-stack 9mm, the G43. At the time, those observations were limited to my experiences and those of a handful of writers who got to preview the gun at Glock’s Smyrna, Ga., training facility. Now that we’ve had a bit more time to learn about the Glock 43, it’s time to round out the story.

The first and most obvious question from a practical standpoint is why a single-stack 9mm from Glock is even necessary. After all, one major draw for Glock fans is the double-stack magazine with its higher ammo capacity. Doesn’t the Glock 43 (6+1 capacity) run counter to the very thing Glock is known for? Not surprisingly, Josh Dorsey, vice president at Glock, Inc., thinks not, and offered a compelling defense for the Glock 43.

“With the G43, I believe we’ve hit the ‘sweet spot,’” Dorsey said. “It’s small, but not so small that you can’t handle it. Its design means not a lot of recoil is transferred to the shooter. We’ve replicated the trigger pull of the larger Glock models, and it’s got that familiar Glock balance that so many shooters favor.”

Expanding on Dorsey’s “sweet spot” analogy, the G43 fits right in between the Glock 26 and the Glock 42. Compared to the G26, it’s .2 inches narrower at the grip and 6 ounces lighter. The G43 specifications are more in line with the Glock 42: the Glock 43 is just a couple of ounces heavier and a fraction of an inch wider. The big difference, of course, is that the sweet-shooting G42 is chambered in .380. For consumers and law enforcement professionals who rely on the 9mm as their go-to caliber and main carry gun, the G43 is great news indeed.

The new Glock G43, left, shown with the Glock G42 in .380, released a year ago. Both models are slender as can be.

“The bulk of our G42 sales have been commercial sales in the U.S., with some sales to law enforcement as a backup gun,” Dorsey went on to explain. “The G43 will have strong crossover to the L.E. market as a backup gun because it replicates their duty round, and we anticipate a larger demand from L.E. because of that.”

The advantages of replication don’t stop with the L.E. market. Anyone who carries a 9mm and wants a trustworthy yet compact backup will find the G43 worth consideration. In true Glock fashion, the G43 I tested digested a variety of ammo without a hiccup.

In addition to the random range ammo I fired in a prototype G43 in early March, I’ve since pounded through nearly 300 rounds of Winchester “white box” 124-grain FMJs, followed by a couple mags each of self-defense ammo: Hornady Critical Defense 115-grain Flex Tip; Hornady Critical Duty 135-grain FlexLock; Hornady Custom 147-grain XTP JHP; and both the T (FMJ) and D (JHP) versions of Winchester’s 147-grain Train & Defend loads. So far the Glock G43 has functioned without fail during two different outings and with no cleanings.

The G43 is extremely manageable with all of the loads mentioned above. I purposely didn’t run any +P through it because I was more interested in seeing if it was enjoyable enough to shoot during extended, meaningful range sessions—the kind of practice that really counts. Shooting the Glock 43 isn’t as drastically different from shooting the G26 as I thought it would be. Yes, there’s less surface area to wrap the paws around, but I liked the familiarity of the high grip, the similar distance to the trigger and the distinct Glock trigger pull to which I’m accustomed.

The Glock 43 has more snap to it than the Glock 26, but with less weight to suck up the recoil, that’s not surprising. Nevertheless, you shouldn’t have any issues crushing off 100 or more rounds in a practice session, and that’s a compliment I haven’t bestowed on any other sub-1-pound carry gun.

Glock 43 Specs:

Caliber: 9mm
Barrel Length: 3.41 inch
Weight: 20.64 ounces (loaded)
Magazine Capacity: 6
Overall Length: 6.26 inch
Slide Length: 6.06 inch
Overall Width: 1.06 inch
Slide Width: .87
Height Including Mag.: 4.25 inch
Sight Radius: 5.24 inch (Polymer), 5.20 inch (Steel), 5.16 inch (GNS)
Trigger Distance: 2.56 inch

This article appeared in the May 2015 issue of Gun Digest the Magazine.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Test Driving the Glock 43 Single-Stack 9mm
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 05:59:06 AM »
The Glock 43 is a great gun, I love mine.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 12:08:41 AM »
love mine too but my dad loved it more and stole it away. Ill get it back someday but until then I have 3 shield 9mms. Id buy another 43 in a heartbeat if they would chamber it in 40 sw.
blue lives matter

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 04:05:52 AM »
Ok,old thread, I know and not likely to see a follow up after me either but only because I don't see but just a few guys responding to any threads at all no matter what the topic. That's a shame too, that there isn't more activity.
Anyhow, I still have my Glock 43 along with a few M&P's in 9 and 40 but it seems, that in spite of my friends all hating Glocks in any shape or form, I tend to carry mine more then the M&P shields. For some reason, because of my sensitive back problems from surgery that didn't seem to help, they just feel kinder to my back in that 5 : O'Clock position. I have a nice set of sights on mine and I am pretty good with it.
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 06:08:01 AM »
I think we are doing pretty good here overall for the short time this site has been online. Likely that is due in large part to it being a revival of the old GBO site before me and Matt sold it. Still it isn't as active as I'd like and hope it will become with more time.

As to Glocks, I really don't like them. I guess to be honest it's mostly due to the fact I just can't seem to break it down for cleaning. Those two little thingies you must push down to take it down just don't work for me.

These days my left hand is mostly useless since the surgery which seems not to have gone well for me. But even before the surgery, I just couldn't feel those little tabs and couldn't tell if they were up, down or somewhere in between.

I know that taking down a Glock is about as easy as falling off a log for most but for me it's next to impossible. So I don't like Glocks and no longer own any. At one time I had five of them, now none. Shame, other than the almost impossible for me take down of them I like Glock guns.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »
Agreed, the little tabs are not fun, even for me but my hands too, suffer from arthritis and since a 1/2 inch plate fell on the two digits that are required of me to  work those two tabs, it's quite hard. The plate squished my pointer and thumb like two grapes and so now everything I touch seems weird like thousands of needles sticking me. That happened about 20 years ago and they still give me nerve fits.
How long has your new site been up and running? I really don't do a whole lot of posting and I have been a member of some forums but often time I end up not going back because of the childish ways of some adults that I see happening.
NRA Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 09:50:46 AM »
I think Matt set this site up sometime last year but I don't recall exactly. He might come along and notice this and tell you.

He has been wanting to do it since the day we sold the other site. Since I was on their payroll I just didn't feel like I could take ownership with him and promote this site properly. So I resisted his efforts. He finally just did it anyway.

I have now severed my ties to the other site so can devote my efforts here and can even invite folks from over there to come here. I still won't ask them to stop using that site, that's a decision they will have to make after using both. I don't think it right to ask on someone's site that members stop using it anyway. But there is no longer anything keeping me from asking those members to visit here and give it a try.

I now seem to spend 10 minutes a day or less there. I do still look over what's been newly posted since my last visit but rarely find anything worth taking the time to read there.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 12:08:37 PM »
I think Matt set this site up sometime last year but I don't recall exactly. He might come along and notice this and tell you.

He has been wanting to do it since the day we sold the other site. Since I was on their payroll I just didn't feel like I could take ownership with him and promote this site properly. So I resisted his efforts. He finally just did it anyway.

I have now severed my ties to the other site so can devote my efforts here and can even invite folks from over there to come here. I still won't ask them to stop using that site, that's a decision they will have to make after using both. I don't think it right to ask on someone's site that members stop using it anyway. But there is no longer anything keeping me from asking those members to visit here and give it a try.

I now seem to spend 10 minutes a day or less there. I do still look over what's been newly posted since my last visit but rarely find anything worth taking the time to read there.
I sure wish this site well.
NRA Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 05:48:32 PM »
For now it's rolling along nicely and outpacing the original site daily.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125