Author Topic: nef forearm o ring Q  (Read 3875 times)

Offline ken s

• Trade Count: (0)
nef forearm o ring Q
« on: February 29, 2004, 08:44:55 PM »
what kind of o ring do you use an how tight are you guys makeing forearm screw. just snug or X amount of torque. need some help here guy's
                         thanks.   ken s :D

Offline brown-trout

o ring
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 02:26:42 AM »
i used one from a  mechanical broadhead. just snug enough to not come apart.
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline josebd

• Contributor
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 04:29:14 AM »
i tried the washer thing but made it worse

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 11:17:57 AM »
I use an O ring from the hardware store that is 9/16"O.D. x 3/8"I.D. x 3/32"(thick) just snug enough so you can still get a dollar bill to easily slip between the barrel and the stock.  It works for me.

Moonlitin

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 11:43:32 AM »
I just picked up another package of O-rings today at Walmart. They are in the plumbing section, and you get an assortment for $0.97. Just use the one that fits around the barrel lug, two if you need to. When you can slip a couple of dollar bills between the forearm and the barrel, you have enough. I tighten the screw down hard, then back it of until it's just grabbing. The O-rings have some spring to them, and they will press the forearm against the screw enough to hold it.
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 07:24:54 PM »
I use some flat, magnetic, rubber material that I have laying around.  I form fit it to the cut out area in the forend with scissors, because I didn't like the way other setups let the forend wiggle.  I snug the screw down pretty good and have no troubles with it moving and it feels secure.

I can post a picture if anyone is interested but it will take a while.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline vick

nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 11:04:59 AM »
I have had good luck using the sidewall from a blown out tire (don't ask).  I just cut the disk to fit the stud and inlet.  The tire has lasted for quite a while, gives good backpressure to keep the forearm snug, and turned my .308 survivor ( in tracker II wood ) into a tack driver.
Fear is but a stepping stone on the foot path to Glory.

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
O ring Q
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 04:28:16 AM »
I have o-ring kits for hydalics in several sizes,would one of the right size work.  Zeak

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Re: O ring Q
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 05:37:02 AM »
Quote from: Zeak
I have o-ring kits for hydalics in several sizes,would one of the right size work.  Zeak

Zeak,
  They should work fine. When you tighten the forearm down, with the O-ring in place, get it good and tight, then back off until you feel the bolt is being held by the O-rings pressure. You don't want it too tight.
Don

Offline Deadeye47

nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 04:21:57 AM »
Moonlitin...nice group but how does it group out past 20 yards or so..... :)   :D
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 04:36:45 AM »
O ring did not work for me , but a strip of business card in front and behind the mounting lug worked very well. This and a Harris bipod helped me a lot in bringing the groups down.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 08:10:49 AM »
I had some o-rings sitting around here from my paintball guns...I just squeezed it down to fit into the recessed area of the forearm and then re-mounted the forearm.  I didn't torque it down tight...Just snug.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Moonlitin

• Avid Poster
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 01:04:24 PM »
Thanks Deadeye47.  I was shooting at an indoor range, so I was limited to 25 yards.  When we some nicer weather in Michigan I will see how it shoots at 50 and 100 yards.

Moonlitin

Offline Deadeye47

nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 05:09:20 PM »
Dang moonlitin I was just yankin yer chain there  :oops: ....I was thinking ..dang that rifle shoots!...Thats still pretty good as I go to an indoor range occasionally with a buddy and its 25 yards also. I was sighting in a 45-70..seemed like a huge waste of power in there...LOL But it;s fun if it's cold and rainy outside..... :D
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Deadeye47

nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 05:14:19 PM »
By the way moonlitin....where bouts in Michigan do you reside? The ex-wife moved up there after we got divorced.  Shes in Colon...seemed appropriate at the time..... :lol:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Moonlitin

• Avid Poster
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2004, 05:22:08 PM »
No problem on the chain yankin...I just didn't want anyone to think I was doing that at 100 yards!

I'm about an hour north of Colon...and closer to the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan!

Moonlitin

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 04:19:49 PM »
I'll have to try to figure this new forum out, but here goes.

I have been using a rubber "O" ring that fits a VW case (engine).  When I switch barrels, the groups start stringing, sometimes to the tune of 6".  Here are two .357 Mag groups shot at 100 yards with a 200 gr Hornady with 14.0 gr Lil'Gun, CCI 400 and seated in the cannelure.  The lower group was shot with the synthetic forearm torqued to 60 in-lbs with an "O" ring.  The upper group was shot today with a wood forearm just snugged down and no "O" ring.

The aiming point was the same for both groups.

The same thing happened when I switched to the .223 barrel.  The group shrunk from 3" to 1.75".

I was using a Caldwell rest with the frame rested at the hinge pin for all of these shots.

Any suggestions for a cure?

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2004, 04:39:14 PM »
Paul5388...
Welcome to the new home for H&R/NEF :D

You are going to find that there are a great bunch of guys here. We are one big family who share the same love(addiction)for these single shot rifles and shotguns. I am waiting on my first Handi-Rifle to come in so I can't be much help on your post, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

P.S.
  As someone else on here has already posted, do not go to the barrel accessory page on the H&R site.
I don't even have my gun yet and I'm already looking hard at the 45-70 :biggun:    :)  :)  :)
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline josebd

• Contributor
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2004, 02:08:26 PM »
how does the oring help with accuracy?

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2004, 12:25:54 AM »
Paul5388- 60 lbs. sounds too tight, try tightening just enough so a folded dollar can slide between barrel and forend, you want the barrel free floating.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline josebd

• Contributor
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2004, 04:05:58 PM »
free floating the barrel will improve accuracy?

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2004, 04:25:35 PM »
60 in-lbs (not ft-lbs) is quite common for 1/4" bolts and screws.  It is only 5 ft-lbs and aluminum threads will stand that without a problem.

It doesn't seem to matter if the barrel is free floated if I am using the synthetic forearm.  However, I have relieved enough material in the forearm and used enough shim material to free float it the entire length, including where the farearm joins the receiver.  I got a 9" group with it free floated.

Offline josebd

• Contributor
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2004, 04:34:45 PM »
im having all kinds of trouble with mine,i removed some material and tried the oring thing did good for a while then the groups got worse,glass bedded the stock,got groups back for a while,still not good,shot the same loads in my 700 bdl excellent groups.cant figure it out,all off the bench and sand bags.

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2004, 09:42:49 AM »
josebd,

I called NEF yesterday and the only response I got was, "send it in and we'll see."  They did re-enforce the need for free floating (being able to pass a folded dollar bill between the barrel and forearm the full length), but they didn't make any effort to ensure it was free floated while it was there for the .357 barrel.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2004, 01:10:16 PM »
Quote from: Paul5388
josebd,

I called NEF yesterday and the only response I got was, "send it in and we'll see."  They did re-enforce the need for free floating (being able to pass a folded dollar bill between the barrel and forearm the full length), but they didn't make any effort to ensure it was free floated while it was there for the .357 barrel.

Paul,
  If they have realized the need to float the barrel, why won't they do it when it's new? It sure could save a lot of agravation over something so simple, not to mention time and shipping costs. You know what gets me the most about your rifle. It does the same thing with either barrel. That eliminates a scope problem and barrel problem, only leaves the stock, forearm, and frame.
Don

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2004, 04:23:15 PM »
Don,

I think it actually points to one thing, the forearm not fitting properly.  I keep debating on what course to take to resolve the problem.  I would kinda hate to use a wood forearm with a synthetic stock, so I think I'll just have to get more aggressive with relieving material in the synthetic.  I've trimmed quite a bit of material already, but still don't have the right side with the same amount of free space as the left side.

Since this seems to be a common problem, one would wonder why NEF doesn't take the necessary steps to correct the situation instead of just saying, "send it in"?

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
O-Ring
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2004, 04:44:19 PM »
I still haven't got to site in the new gun yet, but was wondering if any of ya'll have seen that the synthetic forend is as sensitive to freefloating as the wooden one is for better groups.
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline Deadeye47

nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2004, 05:37:37 PM »
:idea3:  The stocks don't fit, wood is mis-matched, needs relief under the forends ejectors stick, rough chambers, break button sloppy and opens up when fired, crowns buggered up, bores bigger at one end than at the other, triggers rough and or heavy or both, crappy blue jobs, rediculously long throats, Yada,yada,yada,yada!  :evil:  Hey!!... NEF makes firearms that cost less than 200 da#n dollars....also they are cutting back. It is painfully obvious in that there is no Q.A. dept or final inspection departmant and they closed down the chat room as it was too expensive to operate......they are handling problems with "knee jerk management techniques".....if ya want a beautiful top drawer rifle that works and is a looker drag out your spiderweb infested billfold and buy a presentation grade  Ruger #1......that being said...geeze I love these little rifles... :mrgreen:  Ihope I can order a .44 mag barrel pretty soon before they dry up!  :toast:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2004, 02:11:16 AM »
:agree: , Good for you Deadeye, say it like it is....<><.... :lol:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline josebd

• Contributor
nef forearm o ring Q
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2004, 02:48:46 AM »
well these guns are just to unpredictable,im selling mine and going to enjoy my remington 700 and quit wasting my time on the h&r