Author Topic: New model pocket .31  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
New model pocket .31
« on: March 01, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
Anyone have one of these and how do you like it? Looks kinda unique with the spur trigger and all. I was thinking about getting one from cabelas just for plinking. I noticed their prices on all the cap & balls went up $20. I assume Pietta makes them- does anyone know? Also who makes the CVA 1858 Rem Army?  Thanks-Tad :D

Offline D R Greysun

• Trade Count: (0)
New model pocket .31
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 12:02:07 AM »
Hey Tad,
Pietta is the maker, the brass frame has been around for awhile. The nickel is on the brass frame. The steel frame is new and I was excited about getting one. A friend saw one at the Shot Show and he was not impressed, he said the machine work looked rough. Kind'a soured my interest. I have had good reports about the older brass frame model.
D R
"Keep'm on the Steel"

Offline crossbow

New model pocket .31
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 07:35:13 AM »
I have one,cant speak for all of them but mine is gem,I have a post about it on page 2 I think it is now, named Remington pocket. Its a brass frame I was thinking about a steel frame, sorry to hear they a bit rough,still just a case of wait awhile until Pietta gets their act together on this one.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Do not reactivate.

Offline crossbow

New model pocket .31
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 07:37:32 AM »
I have one,cant speak for all of them but mine is gem,I have a post about it on page 2 I think it is now, named Remington pocket. Its a brass frame I was thinking about a steel frame, sorry to hear they a bit rough,still just a case of wait awhile until Pietta gets their act together on this one.

Offline dodgecity

New model pocket .31
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 05:45:33 PM »
I bought one before Thanksgiving at the local Gander Mountain store. Between hunting season, and, the winter we had, I didn't get to do a whole lot of shooting with it yet. The couple of times that I did take it out, it functioned flawlessly, and it sure is fun to shoot. I even took an evening and made a fancy tooled holster for mine. I liked it so well, that I bought another one for my son for Christmas.

Offline D R Greysun

New model pocket .31
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 08:59:24 PM »
Dodgecity,
Do you have the steel frame?
D R
"Keep'm on the Steel"

Offline dodgecity

New model pocket .31
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 04:03:27 AM »
No, mine is the brass frame from Pieta. Normally, I shy away from brass frames, but, I did not feel it would be a problem in a .31.

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
New model pocket .31
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 05:20:00 AM »
Think i'll order one today. What size balls does that gun shoot? From the reserch i did it looks like .315, and it seems i can't find a mould that size. Any ideas?

Offline Flint

31 caliber
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 05:36:05 AM »
Seems that the 00 Buckshot was the right size, but buckshot is a bit harder than pure lead.  Try also Warrenmuzzleloading.com for cast, sprueless bullets.  They also have a good tight fitting 380 ball for the 36 cal.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline dodgecity

New model pocket .31
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 07:06:58 AM »
I started out with a cast .321 from Dixie over 10 gr FFF. Others, who have had more experience than I with these little revolvers, have since recommended to me that the .315 is a better choice since it exerts less stress on the loading lever pivot which can break under excess force.

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
New model pocket .31
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 07:18:53 AM »
I use .323.

Offline crossbow

New model pocket .31
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 08:01:03 AM »
Actually I use .319, I guess its not overly fussy about ball size.Properly loaded this gun is capable of two inch groups at twenty yards which is superb for a miniature gun.I notice looking into it that the rifleing is cut very deep I wonder if this is what makes it so accurate.

Offline tryit

New model pocket .31
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2004, 03:38:35 PM »
Gents, I got one of the steel framed Remington .31 pocket guns about a month ago. The mechining is a bit rough and the barrel is not finished as well as most but after deburring the frame,barrel and cylinder I find that this little gem will out shoot my well worked and faithful Colt pocket model 1849 pocket models. I love my carry .31 Colts but this little Remy I think will be a new carry for me. I plan to lap the barrel and case- harden the frame. Also I have a couple of Colt 1849 trigger guards on hand and I think I can fit one to the Remy and have a neat little gun. I am getting 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 25 yards with a .323 cast,11 grs of Swiss 3f, and tumbled round ball of 99.9 % lead. With lapping, some forcing cone work and other tricks I hope to get 1.5 or better groups from this little gem. Also when my shop is finished my lathes and mill are in place I am looking at a .36 conversion. Tryit.

Offline tryit

New model pocket .31
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2004, 03:40:52 PM »
Gents, I got one of the steel framed Remington .31 pocket guns about a month ago. The mechining is a bit rough and the barrel is not finished as well as most but after deburring the frame,barrel and cylinder I find that this little gem will out shoot my well worked and faithful Colt pocket model 1849 pocket models. I love my carry .31 Colts but this little Remy I think will be a new carry for me. I plan to lap the barrel and case- harden the frame. Also I have a couple of Colt 1849 trigger guards on hand and I think I can fit one to the Remy and have a neat little gun. I am getting 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 25 yards with a .323 cast,11 grs of Swiss 3f, and tumbled round ball of 99.9 % lead. With lapping, some forcing cone work and other tricks I hope to get 1.5 or better groups from this little gem. Also when my shop is finished my lathes and mill are in place I am looking at a .36 conversion. Tryit.

Offline D R Greysun

New model pocket .31
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2004, 08:06:17 PM »
Hey thar Tryit,
Sounds like you're discribin' one a' my 58 Ubreti's. I bought two just before CHRISTmas, one is slicker than snot. (Very Able)  :grin:  The other was like yor 63 Pocket 31. (Cain)  :cry:  It's taken some work but Cain is shoot fine now.
D R
"Keep'm on the Steel"

Offline tryit

Remy pocket .31 steel frame
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 03:53:13 PM »
Gents, I want to ask if anyone is having a problem with the loading lever on their .31 Remy's. I was loading some with a bit of lapping compound to get a head start on the lapping of the barrel and the loading lever bent on me enough to make it almost impossible to relatch the loading lever. The steel in the loading lever seems to be real soft with just a hint of casehardening on it. I am still impressed with the groups I am getting and I think this little gun has great promise. I wish I knew what kind of steel the gun is made of. Anyway I am sorry for the double post earlier but my bosses boss showed up at my door just as I had posted and I get a message that the system was not receiving so I did it again. Also I am planning to try 8 to 10 grains of 4f Goex and Swiss. Has anyone tried this yet? I LIKE THIS LITTLE GUN. Tryit.

Offline crossbow

New model pocket .31
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 12:38:55 AM »
No problems with my loading lever, try .319 or maybe smaller ball the .319 loads without undue pressure and shoots excellent.

Offline Flint

steel
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2004, 07:14:09 AM »
Don't know what the Pietta steel is, but it is certainly not 4140...
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life