Author Topic: ONLY 29 GOP sens against impeachment trial.  (Read 1500 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
ONLY 29 GOP sens against impeachment trial.
« on: January 25, 2021, 04:32:57 PM »

ONLY 29 GOP sens against impeachment trial.
« on: Today at 10:30:30 PM »

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/senate-trial-republican-senators/2021/01/25/id/1007100/

Home | Politics
Tags: Donald Trump | Marco Rubio | Ted Cruz | Trump Impeachment | senate | trial | republican
Epoch Times: 29 GOP Senators Oppose Trump Trial
tom cotton speaks into microphone
Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark. (Greg Nash/Getty Images)
By Theodore Bunker    |   Monday, 25 January 2021 03:51 PM

Short URL|Email Article|Comment|Contact|Print|    A   A
House Democrats plan to walk the impeachment charge against former President Donald Trump to the Senate on Monday evening, but multiple members of the GOP in the Upper Chamber have already come out against holding a trial.

The Epoch Times reported Monday, 29 GOP senators have spoken out against holding a trial, arguing it is unconstitutional to try to convict a former office holder, or a waste of time.

"I think right now Donald Trump is no longer the president; he is a former president," Sen. Mike Rounds, R-S.D., told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday. He insisted the Constitution does not say "that you can impeach someone who is not in office."

Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., also said Sunday the Senate lacks the constitutional authority to convict Trump now that he has left office. He also said, according to PBS NewsHour, "the more I talk to other Republican senators, the more they're beginning to line up" behind that argument.

"I think a lot of Americans are going to think it's strange that the Senate is spending its time trying to convict and remove from office a man who left office a week ago," he added.

"Well, first of all, I think the trial is stupid; it's counterproductive," Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., told Fox News on Sunday. "We already have a flaming fire in this country, and it's like taking a bunch of gasoline and pouring it on top of the fire."

He added, "the first chance I get to vote to end this trial, I'll do it."

However, Democrats say Trump's leaving office does not prevent the Senate from holding an impeachment trial, a view seconded by several legal scholars and Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, the only member of the GOP to vote to convict Trump in his first impeachment trial.

"I believe that what is being alleged and what we saw, which is incitement to insurrection, is an impeachable offense," Romney said, according to PBS. "If not, what is?"

He noted, there is a "preponderance of opinion," an impeachment trial for a government official can be held after they leave office.

This is The Epoch Times' list of GOP Senators who oppose a trial:

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.
Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont.
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky.
Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.
Sen. Kevin Cramer, R-N.D.
Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C.
Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo.
Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.
Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith, R-Miss.
Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss.
Sen. Tommy Tuberville, R-Ala.
Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark.
Sen. Mike Rounds, R-S.D.
Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo.
Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis.
Sen. John Boozman, R-Ark.
Sen. Mike Braun, R-Ind.
Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La.
Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas
Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo.
Sen. Roger Marshall, R-Kan.
Sen. John Thune, R-S.D.
Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn.
Sen. Jodi Ernst, R-Iowa.
Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa.
Sen. Bill Hagerty, R-Tenn.
Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D.
Sen. Cynthia Lummis, R-Wyo.
Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla.
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: ONLY 29 GOP sens against impeachment trial.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 04:55:26 PM »
This will set a terrible precedent.
If he is convicted then congress will start trying other private citizens for any little thing to keep them from running for office.
Our country is about to become like North Korea or Cuba or Venezuela.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 05:45:52 PM »
And that's what it's about Bugsy. To keep him from running again.  Their scared to death of him. He's their worst nightmare. A non-politician with a flashlight.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline magooch

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 06:20:49 PM »
Well if 67 so-called Senators are addle brained enough to vote for an impeachment of Donald Trump on the meager evidence of inciting insurrection by encouraging his supporters to "peacefully and patriotically to have their voices heard."  Then they too are bound to step over the line just for letting one go in public.  Free speech is absolutely the cornerstone of our society and it is being assaulted by these traitorous a-holes.
Swingem

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 09:36:40 PM »
I didn't see Mitch's name there.  CHARLIE.  >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 01:42:21 AM »
Time for conservatives to start supporting a party other than the GOP.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 03:08:38 AM »
Third party? Then Dem's win all elections.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 03:15:09 AM »
And that's what it's about Bugsy. To keep him from running again.  Their scared to death of him. He's their worst nightmare. A non-politician with a flashlight.

19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”  (John 3:19-21)

Remember that list, and if your GOP senator is not on it..get active in the next primary.  Sadly, some states are a complete loss, such as the one I live in.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Goldie

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 04:23:13 AM »
Here in Arizona we lost our only republican senator, both bleeding heart liberals. Add our turncoat governor ducey to the list as well. This state is getting close to california in its political climate and ignorance.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 04:27:42 AM »
Third party? Then it Dem's win all elections.

What difference does it make. The radical left just stole the presidency from us and it was basally uncontested.  They have just proven they can steel elections. It wouldn't make any difference if there were two parties or 100 parties.  Free and fair voting was our voice. Free and fair voting was our way to squelch tyranny. Free and fair voting was was our most important right. The radical Marxists have just stole that from us.  Are we going to look to the GOP to fix things? Heck half of them were happy to see Trump go. Its why they did nothing.  At least at a minimum, the electoral votes were stolen from five states, and not one state was corrected.  I'm sick of the GOP.  Look what supporting the GOP has got us.  Biden/Harris, and a bunch of other Marxists now in control. Before that it was Obama for eight years, globalist Bush, the Clintons, and another globalist Bush.  I'm not counting Trump, because he really wasn't what the GOP is, and the GOP proved that by their non support for him.     You can bet the radical left will even be better at it next time. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »
Third party? Then it Dem's win all elections.

What difference does it make. The radical left just stole the presidency from us and it was basally uncontested.  They have just proven they can steel elections. It wouldn't make any difference if there were two parties or 100 parties.  Free and fair voting was our voice. Free and fair voting was our way to squelch tyranny. Free and fair voting was was our most important right. The radical Marxists have just stole that from us.  Are we going to look to the GOP to fix things? Heck half of them were happy to see Trump go. Its why they did nothing.  At least at a minimum, the electoral votes were stolen from five states, and not one state was corrected.  I'm sick of the GOP.  Look what supporting the GOP has got us.  Biden/Harris, and a bunch of other Marxists now in control. Before that it was Obama for eight years, globalist Bush, the Clintons, and another globalist Bush.  I'm not counting Trump, because he really wasn't what the GOP is, and the GOP proved that by their non support for him.     You can bet the radical left will even be better at it next time.

Well said sir.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »
If a person decides to become an independent, what does he do to make that known??
I no longer want to identify with the republican party.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 02:12:37 PM »
Actually 45 Republican senators voted with Ran Paul to dismiss impeachment proceedings Tuesday. Even McConnell.
5 Republicans voted with Democrats.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 12:28:15 AM »
If a person decides to become an independent, what does he do to make that known??

Go to where you sign up to vote and ask to change your registration to independent. Just remember it will limit your choices in the primary.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline ironglows

"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline DDZ

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 12:30:58 PM »
Really its a no brainier. There is absolutely no grounds for impeaching him in the first place, let along after he is gone from office.  Shame on the rest of the GOP, and even the Democrats. They know there is no grounds for impeachment. Its all about trying to ruin him. Just like the baseless first impeachment was.   
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 04:01:40 PM »

Go to where you sign up to vote and ask to change your registration to independent. Just remember it will limit your choices in the primary.
I hadn't thought of that, and since Trump says he's not interested in a third party, I'll hold off.
He has hopes of rebuilding a "clean" republican.
My way of cleaning the party would be to tie the never-Trumpers to a stake and whipping them.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglows

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 01:43:01 AM »

I hadn't thought of that, and since Trump says he's not interested in a third party, I'll hold off.
He has hopes of rebuilding a "clean" republican.
My way of cleaning the party would be to tie the never-Trumpers to a stake and whipping them.
     I just told the folks at the election tables where I vote, that I am no longer affiliated.  I went  a bit different route however, because I was registered as Conservative (a local party in NY) for a few years.
  I couldn't vote in primaries then either, since the Conservative party is not one of the "big two"..