Author Topic: SSC Tuatara supercar claims world speed record at 282.9 MPH  (Read 462 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
SSC Tuatara supercar claims world speed record at 282.9 MPH
« on: January 27, 2021, 04:02:21 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ssc-tuatara-supercar-speed-record-282-9-mph

By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

Second time was the charm for the SSC Tuatara supercar, which has claimed the world’s fastest production car record of 282.9 mph.

The Washington state-made $1.9 million coupe completed the feat on the old Space Shuttle landing strip in Florida on January 17.

(SSC)

As required by many prominent record-keeping authorities, the 1,750 horsepower supercar did two runs in opposite directions to account for wind and other environmental factors at speeds of 279.7 mph and 286.1 mph. That averages out to 282.9 mph, which would beat the existing mark of 277.87 mph set in 2017 by the Koenigsegg Agera RS.

(SSC)

SSC thought it had smashed that record last October, when the Tuatara was clocked at an average of 316.11 mph on a closed highway in Nevada with pro racing driver Oliver Webb at the wheel, but questions were raised about the accuracy of the timing that led SSC to make the second attempt with redundant speed validation provided by Racelogic (VBox), Life Racing, Garmin and IMRA (International Mile Racing Association).

The Tuatara was driven in Florida by its owner, car collector Larry Caplan, who previously told Fox News he’d never even driven close to 250 mph, but planned to one day. The shuttle landing strip provided a 2.3-mile stretch for the attempt, which was much shorter than what was available in Nevada and required more aggressive acceleration to hit max velocity with room to slow down.

https://youtu.be/bxBdzOr91Gk

SSC owner Jerod Shelby said they’re not done yet, however, and plan to return in the spring with an eye on hitting 300 mph, which the Bugatti Chiron achieved on a Volkswagen test track in Germany, but only in one direction.

Gary Gastelu is FoxNews.com's Automotive Editor covering the car industry and racing. Follow @foxnewsautos

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: SSC Tuatara supercar claims world speed record at 282.9 MPH
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:55:25 PM »
wonder what the range is at 282 mph??? I read that a hellcat doing 190 will burn a 20 gallon tank of gas in 70 miles. that thing is sure more aerodynamic but to feed 1700 hp is still going to need one big ass fuel line!
blue lives matter

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 06:20:35 AM »
wonder what the range is at 282 mph??? I read that a hellcat doing 190 will burn a 20 gallon tank of gas in 70 miles. that thing is sure more aerodynamic but to feed 1700 hp is still going to need one big ass fuel line!
Mid-run refueling?? 
Some fighter planes can be set up for "buddy" refueling.

Just looking at the picture, it does seem like an engine with that horsepower would take up too much room to have much of a gas tank.
A top fuel dragster burns about 5 gallons in 1/4 mile with sometimes as much as 11,000 horsepower.
Of course after 1/4 mile the engine has to be completely rebuilt, and, they can do it in 75 minutes.  Awesome.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 01:38:11 PM »
That is the way prototype race cars looked 40 years ago before they morphed into ugly ground-effect things that look like cockroaches on wheels as they do now.
I assume that has a Chevy based engine although they also build Ford and Dodge.

There is no info on mpg for street version but the street version is a 91 octane 1,350 hp 360, where as this version is a E85 1,750 hp 423 version.