Author Topic: Your new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray won't let you drive it fast until it's read  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/chevrolet-corvette-stingray-fast

By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

The mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette Stingray is a powerful sports car capable of acellerating to 60 mph in under 3.0 seconds and hitting a top speed of 194 mph, but not when it's new.

Like many cars, Chevy advises that you take it easy during a 500-mile break-in period, but the Corvette makes sure that you do.

(Fox News Autos)

Mike Kociba, the assistant chief engineer for the Stingray's 6.2-liter V8, revealed to the Detroit Free Press that the car's compupter has been programmed to limit power until the 500 mile mark has been reached.

Kociba said the engine management system reduces maximum torque available from 470 lb-ft to 330 lb-ft in first and second gear and limits the redline to 4,000 rpm.

"People were really rolling the dice when they opened up the engine too soon 10 or 20 years ago," Kociba said.

However, if you've got your foot to the floor when the odometer ticks over from 499 to 500, you won't feel a boost, because the car needs to be turned on an off before the restriction is lifted.

Gary Gastelu is FoxNews.com's Automotive Editor covering the car industry and racing. Follow @foxnewsautos

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Smart, but, after all the engine fires in the mid engine Pontiac, I wouldn稚 buy one.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
dodge does that with the scat packs and hellcats too. Like the vette they know there selling to people that might run the dog crap out of it day one. They dont need to worry so much about a malibu or pickup.
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
used to be a vette guy. Owned at least one for 25 years. Last one was a 2007 zo6. Had a valve fail and it cost me about 8k to fix (and it could have been much worse if i wouldnt have shut it off immediately)  it and it was a common problem with that motor. Loved that car but decided it was a time for something different. But this new one has my attention. Ive with its non radical entry level motor it will run with a flipping hellcat and costs about the same! Cant imagine what will happen when they drop in a supercharged zo6 or z01 version. this new one has auto testers all over the world scratching there head. It beats cars in every catagory that cost 3 times as much has chev reliabililty and can be fixed at your local chev dealer for no more then fixing your silverado. Try that with a porche or Ferrari when a timing belt replacement costs as much as a whole new motor for the chev.
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
Smart, but, after all the engine fires in the mid engine Pontiac, I wouldn稚 buy one.

comparing this new vette to a fierro is about like comparing a new 911 turbo to a vw thing from the 70s.
blue lives matter

Offline BUGEYE

comparing this new vette to a fierro is about like comparing a new 911 turbo to a vw thing from the 70s.
I'm cautious.   :)
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
  Super cars are not for just everybody !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWxCCjAcWGo
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline BUGEYE

I値l stick to my 22 year old truck.
If I decide to burn it, I知 not out much money.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
everyone either wasted there life and have no money or wastes there money on something someone else thinks is stupid or dies with it. Me? Id rather be called stupid with a smile plastered on my face.

blue lives matter

Offline ironglows

everyone either wasted there life and have no money or wastes there money on something someone else thinks is stupid or dies with it. Me? Id rather be called stupid with a smile plastered on my face.

...But some of these nouveau riche, spend their money on a new Ferrari or Lamborghini, and end up somewhere, with their face plastered on a bridge abutment !   ...No mention as to whether the smile remains..   ;)  :-[
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Online Bob Riebe

...But some of these nouveau riche, spend their money on a new Ferrari or Lamborghini, and end up somewhere, with their face plastered on a bridge abutment !   ...No mention as to whether the smile remains..   ;)  :-[
That is God's way of improving the gene pool, although; a short happy life is better than a long boring one.

Offline BUGEYE

When I met the love of my life nearly 45 years ago, I switched my focus to HER, and away from me.
I have no desire for an expensive car, however, I give my wife about everything she wants.
Thankfully, most of her wants is to help others, which is as it should be.

Oh, the man who dies with the most toys is not always the winner. ;D
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
My daughter and I saw a new Corvette literally destroyed on the Lubbock loop. Parts of it, beer cans, were all over the road, even the engine. So was the driver. The semi trailer he hit in the rear at 100mph, was badly damaged but the driver was able to walk away.

Online Bob Riebe

There are probably a good many more such stories; when I was a yout, a dude hit a cement bridge abutment with his new 1963 Corvette at what was reported near 100 mph.
You could scratch pieces of fiberglass out of the abutment till they redid highway 7 in the nineties, but then to this day, highway 7 is called Suicide Seven for reason beyond that one.

Offline ironglows

When I met the love of my life nearly 45 years ago, I switched my focus to HER, and away from me.
I have no desire for an expensive car, however, I give my wife about everything she wants.

A REAL winner when he dies..may have many or few toys!  They don't matter, since when he dies they are no longer of any use to him !  ;)  ;D

We have a few decades here..the real important message is.."What then?"  We will have an eternity to enjoy heavenly bliss, or suffer for that eternity..  Our choice !

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
yup and some die crossing the road or live to be a miserable 95 years old bed ridden. ill never own a ferrari. I wasnt smart enough in life to get into that catagory but if i was i would probably have one. I lead kind of a wild young life. Racing snowmobiles, cars, dirt bikes had a fairly dangerous job in the service and when i got out. Always told my friends if i made 50 i would be a lucky sob. Truth be told i got very lucky a few times and if God wanted me he sure had opportunitys. So in fact im living on borrowed time anyway. Like i said id rather hit a bridge at a 150mph in a ferrari at 70 then die after being bed ridden for 3 years at 95. Truth of the matter is God already has your time card punched. Whats going to happen is going to happen. Buying a prius instead of a vette sure isnt going to change that and at least for the last couple years ill have fun in a vette. Lifes WAY TO SHORT for boring cars. Next to your home there the biggest and most important investment you make. Why would i even consider choosing boring. I guess a guy could get by with a 12 guage and a 3030 too. But thats not me. Im more of the life contest type. The one who dies with the most toys wins! The guy who dies with the biggest bank account is a fool. My own father is just like that. 93 years old,  LOTS of money in the bank. Cheaper then hell. He wont buy food unless its on sale. He constantly talks about buying a new truck, has been talking that talk for 5 years. Has enough that he could by 6 of them cash if he wanted. Even so bad his 4 wheeler at camp has had a bad battery for a couple years. Every time he uses it he has to jump start it off his truck. He refuses to spend 50 bucks on a battery. Says he doesnt use it enough to justify that. I guess its probably the reason i am the way i am. I watched him patch and duct tape crap for years. Buys his clothes at st vinnys or the thrift shop. But watch his eyes light up when his monthly bank statement comes! Its down right sad. I told him hes a fool. Not one of us kids needs his money. told him when he dies im taking my share the next week and going out and buy a new truck or a new boat. One things for sure. Going without today sure isnt going to allow you to buy something special in heaven. LIVE! 

blue lives matter

Offline ironglows

There are extremes in every facet of life...

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
here you go. The vette didnt make the highest or lowest list and if you look at the highest youll see MANY NERD CARS. More then performance cars. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-lists-cars-with-highest-and-lowest-rates-of-deaths/  my guess is the big difference in those lists lies in who buys them. There sure isnt many 22 year old men buying new vettes. There mostly drove and iowned by mature people over 50. Id bet 3/4s of the vettes sold today never see north of 80mph. I must be kind of amazing. Through the years ive owned 6 vettes. Never did anything more dramatic that putting a little scratch on a couple of them and believe this. Every one of them saw triple digit speeds. Truth be told a corvette going down the road at 80 is probably safer then a prius at 60. Better tires, better handling and MUCH better brakes. Comical thing is for you save the planet types they get just about as good of gas mileage to boot. My last one a 2008 zo6 was 505 hp and on a trip to chicago a few years ago got 31mpg. Wrecks? Havent been in a wreck since i was 29. Funny thing is that thats when i decided driving and drinking didnt mix. Had nothing to do with how much HP i had. My guess is anyone stupid enough to pile into a bridge or tree in his corvette would have done the same thing if he was driving a kia or a toyota.
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
Thank GOD!!  because if that wasnt true life would be a boring waste of time.
blue lives matter

Online Bob Riebe

You Tube has a gob of videos of dweebs wrecking their cars from foo-foo exotics to fwd econo-boxes.
No one is hurt except the pocket book badly.

I think the original Sting Rays had a faux confidence effect on buyers back then as they were vastly superior to the live axle 1962.
Out side of the dude who turned his Vette into a pile of glass fiber shreds, another who lived just down the block from me, killed himself on twisty  tree lined road,  simple stupidity of going fast on that road killed him.
It is a road where if you slid off in winter, chances of hitting a tree were well above fifty percent while it has SHARP curves.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
yup there is no shortage of idiots. Have you seen over the last month or so the videos of a guy who got one of the first trx rams. Hes been doing his best to destroy a 100k truck. Already had to have the frame and all the suspension replaced from jumping it. Last one he put like 12 wheel spacers on each hub and bolted on some 44 inch tires (instead of lifting it) and was out mudding. couldnt even make a full turn because the tires would hit the fenders. Finally bent the axles. Now he made a deal with his you tube fans if he got enough likes hed light it on fire and burn it to the ground. He got those likes in something like 2 hours. What a shame. Guys waiting in the for the oportunity to buy one and hes destroying one to get likes on facebook!!! Makes me sick to my stomach!
You Tube has a gob of videos of dweebs wrecking their cars from foo-foo exotics to fwd econo-boxes.
No one is hurt except the pocket book badly.

I think the original Sting Rays had a faux confidence effect on buyers back then as they were vastly superior to the live axle 1962.
Out side of the dude who turned his Vette into a pile of glass fiber shreds, another who lived just down the block from me, killed himself on twisty  tree lined road,  simple stupidity of going fast on that road killed him.
It is a road where if you slid off in winter, chances of hitting a tree were well above fifty percent while it has SHARP curves.
blue lives matter

Offline BUGEYE

That's true, and sad.
My wife and I have been blessed with good incomes, both while working and now in retirement.
And we feel much more blessed when we write a check to someone who needs money, than writing a check for a car that can run 200mph.

Wasn't it JESUS who said something about collecting toys here on earth??
Folks can buy fast cars but they can't really use that speed without collecting speeding tickets. ;D
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
 Reckless driving tickets, and sometimes an arrest. Which in some states is a felony .

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
There was a time in my life when I decided I could afford a used Corvette. I've waned one from the time I could first pronounce the word but it wasn't meant to be...   It wasn't the cost of the car that kept me from getting one.  If you're over 6'2" forget trying to get in one.  At over 6'5" I didn't have a chance in hell of getting behind the wheel of one...

I've since gotten over that and I'm happy with my old pickup trucks now...

Tony

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
either is that savings account. Yup your wife can make good use of it. But my wife will have a paid off house, a car truck and jeep a pile of guns to sell if she wants. She gets my social security, my work pension, my va disability pension. Free medical and her 401k so i sure dont feel guilty buying something that makes me happy. She keeps her paycheck and i keep my retirement check to do what we want and the other checks pay the bills. I dont tell her she cant buy 10 pairs of shoes or go on cruises or vacations with her freinds that i dont have the slightest interest in and she doesnt tell me i cant buy a new truck, a gun or any toy i can pay for without taking away from the home budget. Like i said in another post today she did clamp down on my once. Last summer my son in law was selling a supercharged caddy and i wanted it but promise her a new house this comming up summer and she said no more toys till she gets the house. Nope fast cars, atvs, motorcyles, boats ect arent for everyone. but sitting on my porch twiddling my thumbs isnt for me. I worked hard for what i have and wont appologize for anything i buy. Fact is NOTHING means a thing after you die except your standing with God. We only have a short time here on earth and i plan on having fun for the 20 (maybe) years i have left.

A REAL winner when he dies..may have many or few toys!  They don't matter, since when he dies they are no longer of any use to him !  ;)  ;D

We have a few decades here..the real important message is.."What then?"  We will have an eternity to enjoy heavenly bliss, or suffer for that eternity..  Our choice !
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
Probably why i got away from vettes. There just to tough even for me at 5'9" to get in and out of with all my back problems. Absouletly nothing wrong with old trucks!!! Id love an old square body shot box chev. Or something from the 50s. trying to squeze enough into the house budget to put another 2 car garage up. I have the money for the house but if i do the garage it will take a loan and i just dont know if i want to do that this late in life so it might have to wait another year. the other garage and barn are full and i need more toys so its eating at me!!
There was a time in my life when I decided I could afford a used Corvette. I've waned one from the time I could first pronounce the word but it wasn't meant to be...   It wasn't the cost of the car that kept me from getting one.  If you're over 6'2" forget trying to get in one.  At over 6'5" I didn't have a chance in hell of getting behind the wheel of one...

I've since gotten over that and I'm happy with my old pickup trucks now...

Tony
blue lives matter

Offline Mule 11

I don稚 (openly) agree with you on much. You only live once. May as well have some fun... I致e been a bit of a motorized speed freak myself at times and only have limited scars. The smiles are longer...