Author Topic: Stick-shift Jeep Wrangler, Gladiator models recalled for fire risk  (Read 350 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/stick-shift-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-recalled-fire

Clutch plate can fracture and send debris through transmission case

By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

If you were wondering how many Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators are sold with V6 engines and manual transmissions, the answer is 42,887 since the 2018 model year.

(Jeep)

That's how many of the trucks are being recalled due to a fire risk posed by the six-speed stick available in V6-powered models.

The problem is due to a clutch pressure plate that can overheat and fracture sending debris through the transmission case that can cause other parts to combust or end up on the road and pose a safety risk to other vehicles.

Jeep will address the issue with a software update that reduces engine torque when the temperature gets too hot.

The recall is set to begin on March 19 and affects 2018-2021 Wranglers and 2020-2021 Gladiators. Owners can call 1-800-853-1403 for more information with recall number Y01.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Stick-shift Jeep Wrangler, Gladiator models recalled for fire risk
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 04:05:43 AM »
Id never have another stick shift wrangler. Automatics just work so much better in the rough stuff. Even performance cars like my challenger thats a stick are faster today with autos. Really for the most part that was true in in the 60s and 70s muscle car days. Believe me if i hadnt got the deal i got on my challenger i would have prefered an automatic. Sticks should have went the way of crank starters.
blue lives matter

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 03:38:28 AM »
I'll never have a stick shift anything again. Auto transmissions have the manual beat in every way and have done so for years.

Offline Fixit

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 08:14:30 AM »
My current truck is an automatic, but I prefer a stick due to my afflictions, a.d.s. and a.d.o.s.. They are, respectively, attention deficit SQUIRREL!, and attention deficit OOH SHINEY! The requisite shortage of attention has been the cause of most of my vehicular altercations, that is, when I rear end somebody.
chicken little has finally found an audience

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »
The old AMC jeeps did better than that. Hooked up to a 304 V3 or a 258 in line six.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 11:37:21 PM »
hate to tell you but that old 304 put out about a 150 hp which is about the same as a 2000 tj with a 2.5 4 cyl. I owned one and can tell you flat out. its so underpowered its almost dangerous on a highway. I had a 304 cj. It did well after a set of headers an aftermarket intake and a holley carb. But even then my 3.6 v6 would walk circles around it. It felt fast because it made lots of noise and had that even shorter squirrely wheelbase and bias ply tires. But truth be told they were dogs. IMO the best jeep motor that ever came out of the factory was the fuel injected 4.0 straight 6s. they will run about forever. 
The old AMC jeeps did better than that. Hooked up to a 304 V3 or a 258 in line six.
blue lives matter

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 04:00:17 AM »
I've never owned a Jeep, tho have thought about doing so several times, just never was able to talk myself into it. I think I've ridden in 3 of them total.

First was an old military surplus one. It was a cold morning and we had a long way to go. The dilapidated canvas top flopped and made noise in the breeze. No heater and even bundled up for the hunt I was nearly frozen when we got there. I think top speed was around 35-40.

The next was a fairly new Jeep, no clue the model year of it, pretty sure it was a CJ7. It had the V8 engine, I can't be sure it was stock but all else about the Jeep was so I assume that engine was as well. It was loud and it was powerful. It went places that I had no clue a 4 wheel vehicle could go before I went on that ride in the mountains. It really opened my eyes to what a 4x4 could do.

The last was an old and mean old CJ5 my best friend had. On my first ride we went thru the woods behind his house and drove to the paved road on the other side of those woods. There were no roads, not even a trail thru there so he just made one. When we got to the paved road there was a steep and deep ditch that had to be crossed to get onto the road. We both looked at it and I told him no way.

It was rather narrow but very deep. I figured the nose of the Jeep would go in and that would be the end of it until we walked back to his house to call a wrecker to get it out. He wasn't sure either but said he was going for it so hold on.

He hit that ditch and somehow that little Jeep managed to claw its way out of that hole and up onto the road. That had to be the roughest ride I'd ever experienced but it gave me a new appreciation for what a littler CJ5 could do. My Bronco would never have gotten thru that ditch and onto the road.

I guess all added up my Jeep riding experience totals less than 100 miles.

I think it's safe to say I'll never own one as these days I really hate to drive anywhere even just 3 miles up the road to the small store where I get most of our food stuff these days. My days of going out and spending a day riding in the mountains are over.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!