Author Topic: Wisconsin wolf hunt ends early after 82 wolves harvested in less than two days  (Read 465 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/wisconsin-wolf-hunt-ends-early-harvest-quota-days

Wisconsin's hunting enthusiasts were right on target

By Janine Puhak | Fox News

Those who missed the mark are probably howling at the moon.

Wisconsin's first gray wolf hunt in seven years ended early after participants harvested 69% of the statewide quota in less than two days, prompting wildlife authorities to shut it down.

Hunters and trappers registered 82 gray wolves in the first 39 hours of the special season, which began Monday and was scheduled to run through Sunday if harvest quotas were not met. However, outdoor enthusiasts were apparently right on target, surpassing the kill goal in two of six management zones across the Badger State, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) closed the hunt on Wednesday.

Hunters and trappers registered 82 gray wolves in the first 39 hours of the special season, which began Monday and was scheduled to run through Sunday if harvest quotas were not hit. (iStock)

"I'm a little bit surprised with how quickly [the season] went," George Meyer, executive director of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, told the outlet. "I think the snow had a lot to do with it and conditions were good. The use of hounds and trapping have had high success in the past, and it's likely they did this week, too."

The Journal reports that the 82 kills represent 69% of the statewide harvest quota of 119 wolves for the season. Hunters and trappers must report their harvest within 24 hours of the time of kill.

The special hunt was a desirable one for outdoor enthusiasts in the area, too. The DNR was reportedly flooded with over 27,151 applications, ultimately selecting 2,380 hunters and trappers in a drawing.

Gray wolves were officially removed from the federal Endangered Species List on Jan. 4, giving states the leeway to determine how to manage local populations. Wisconsin mandates that the DNR open a wolf hunt from early November to late February when the wolves are not listed as endangered or threatened, and the department planned to start the season in November. However, a hunting advocacy group called Hunter Nation pushed back in state Court of Appeals earlier this month, arguing that the wolf hunt should open up this winter – and they won the case.

The Journal reports that the 82 kills represent 69% of the statewide harvest quota of 119 wolves for the season. (iStock)

The Midwestern state most recently held a wolf hunt in 2014, during which 154 wolves were killed. From there, a federal judge ruled to return the wild animals to federal Endangered Species Act protections.

By DNR estimates, the Badger State had 1,195 wolves in 256 packs during the late winter of 2020.

This year’s hunt was controversial in that it was the first wolf hunt in state history held during wolf breeding season. Animal advocates voiced concern that the hunt would disrupt "pack dynamics and killing of pregnant females during this time," the Journal reported.

The DNR did not release further details on Tuesday regarding the sex or age of the wild animals.

Janine Puhak is an editor for Fox News Lifestyle.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
That's about 82 not enough...

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
That's about 82 not enough...

It's a start at least.
That's 82 problems that'll never have
to be dealt with again.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
That article is incorrect, after today they killed a total of 178 wolves.  I'd like to say we but I didn't apply for a tag for this short season. 

The anti's are all up in arms because the target was a total of 200, 119 going to general public and 81 tags went to the Indian tribes.  Tribes were against the hunt so their tags won't be used anyway...

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/hunters-trappers-exceed-wisconsin-wolf-kill-quota-76088911

MADISON, Wis. -- Hunters and trappers blew past Wisconsin's wolf kill target in less than 72 hours, forcing a premature end to a hunt that initially wasn't supposed to happen for another nine months and raising the ire of animal rights activists.

The Department of Natural Resources closed the season Wednesday afternoon after hunters and trappers had killed 178 wolves, which was 59 more than the state's target of 119. Hunters and trappers exceeded their target in all six of the state's management zones.

The agency estimated that about 1,000 wolves roamed the state before the hunt began. The department's population goal is 350.

The season began Monday and had been scheduled to run through Sunday. DNR officials announced Tuesday that the hunt would end Wednesday afternoon because so many animals had been killed in the first two days.

The wolf season has been one of the most contentious outdoors issues that Wisconsin has grappled with in the last 20 years.

Animal rights advocates have argued that wolf populations are too small to support hunting and that the animals are too majestic to kill. Farmers and rural residents, though, say wolves are killing their livestock and pets.

Wisconsin law hands wolf hunters and trappers significant advantages during the season. Unlike with deer hunting, wolf hunters and trappers can operate at night and use dogs to corner wolves. Snow cover also aids tracking.

Wayne Pacelle, president of animal rights group Animal Wellness Action, said in a statement Wednesday that killed Wisconsin wolves didn't stand a chance.

“Traps are set like landmines for unsuspecting animals and the hunters are deep into the woods and out of the range of communication, and they can easily claim they didn't get the ‘stop the hunt’ notice before they killed their wolf,” he said.

Collette Adkins, carnivore conservation director for the Center for Biological Diversity, an Arizona-based nonprofit that works to protect endangered species, issued a statement calling the Wisconsin hunt “a reckless slaughter.”

Hunters and trappers exceeded the state’s kill target during Wisconsin's 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons, which were held before the wolf was placed back on the federal endangered species list.

Wisconsin law requires the DNR to give 24-hour notice of wolf hunting zone closures, which means hunters and trappers can keep killing wolves for another day after a closure is announced. If they kill a wolf after the zone is closed, they would face a $330 fine.

The DNR announced on Tuesday that three zones would close at 10 a.m. Wednesday and the remaining three would close at 3 p.m.

The Trump administration removed federal protections for wolves in January, returning management to the states. Wisconsin law requires the DNR to hold an annual hunt between November and February. The department was preparing for a November hunt when Republican lawmakers demanded the season start before the end of February, saying they were worried the Biden administration might re-list wolves before November and deny Wisconsin hunters a season.

The DNR resisted, but hunter advocacy group Hunter Nation won a court order earlier this month that forced the immediate launch of a wolf hunting season.

The DNR still plans to hold a November wolf hunting season.

Keith Warnke, the department's fish, wildlife and parks administrator, told the agency's policy board during a meeting Wednesday that hunters had exceeded the limit.

None of the board members expressed any reaction to the news. The board's chairman, Fred Prehn, said the target was too low given the population goal of 350 wolves and that the November target should be set to get closer to that goal.

Warnke said he didn't know if that would be safe for the overall population, but that the department would use that 350-animal goal to inform its decisions. He said new population estimates are expected in April.

Lawmakers in neighboring Minnesota have introduced dueling bills that would ban wolf hunting and establish a season.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline northwoodneil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
1000 wolves my butt. Triple that or more. The 1000 is the DNR guarantied minimum count (guess). We managed to kill 20% of all the wolves in Wisconsin in 2 days??? My butt again. The DNR also says we have 700,000 deer but I hunted 7 days to see 5. Using those numbers I would have to hunt 3500 days to see 5 wolves. I saw 3 the last time I was at my cabin (deer season).
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline orerancher

Hope Them 3 Ya Saw got the S-S-S...

Offline northwoodneil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
 :-X
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
Oh I'm sure there are plenty that get the old 22 in the guts to go off and die, but don't think many through the trouble of shoveling  That's what the anti's don't get, they will be controlled one way or another up there. By them returning wolves to the endangered list they will be sentencing hundreds every year to a long painful death...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne