Author Topic: Poor poor george floyds family rips Minneapolis off for a record $ 27 MILLION  (Read 624 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)

Poor poor george floyds family rips Minneapolis off for a record $ 27 MILLION
« on: Today at 05:51:21 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-to-pay-27m-to-settle-floyd-family-lawsuit

Minneapolis to pay $27M to settle George Floyd family lawsuit
The city of Minneapolis on Friday agreed to pay $27 million to settle a civil lawsuit from George Floyd’s family over
Associated Press

Minneapolis protesters set up 'autonomous zone' amid Chauvin jury selection
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The city of Minneapolis on Friday agreed to pay $27 million to settle a civil lawsuit from George Floyd’s family over the Black man’s death in police custody, even as jury selection continued in a former officer’s murder trial.

The Minneapolis City Council emerged from closed session to announce the record settlement, which includes $500,000 for the neighborhood where Floyd was arrested. Floyd family attorney Ben Crump called a news conference for 1 p.m. that was to include family members.

Crump, in a prepared statement, said it was the largest pretrial civil rights settlement ever, and "sends a powerful message that Black lives do matter and police brutality against people of color must end."

DEREK CHAUVIN JUROR TOSSED OVER NEGATIVE IMPRESSION OF DEFENDANT

Floyd was declared dead on May 25 after Derek Chauvin, a former officer who is white, pressed his knee against his neck for about nine minutes. Floyd’s death sparked sometimes violent protests in Minneapolis and beyond and led to a national reckoning on racial justice..

George Floyd Square is shown on Feb. 8, 2021, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)
"I hope that today will center the voices of the family and anything that they would like to share," Council President Lisa Bender said. "But I do want to, on behalf of the entire City Council, offer my deepest condolences to the family of George Floyd, his friends and all of our community who are mourning his loss."

Floyd’s family filed the federal civil rights lawsuit in July against the city, Chauvin and three other fired officers charged in his death. It alleged the officers violated Floyd’s rights when they restrained him, and that the city allowed a culture of excessive force, racism and impunity to flourish in its police force.

In 2019, Minneapolis agreed to pay $20 million to the family of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, an unarmed woman who was shot by an officer after she called 911 to report hearing a possible crime happening behind her home.

DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL: DISMISSED JUROR SAYS GEORGE FLOYD VIDEO MADE HER CRY, RIOTING NECESSARY IN BLM MOVEMENT

The federal lawsuit sought unspecified compensatory and special damages in an amount to be determined by a jury. It also sought a receiver to be appointed to ensure that the city properly trains and supervises officers in the future.

placeholder
Meanwhile, another potential juror was dismissed Friday after she acknowledged having a negative view of the defendant.

In this image taken from video, defense attorney Eric Nelson, left, and defendant, former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, right, listen to Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill during pretrial motions, prior to continuing jury selection in the trial of Chauvin, Thursday, March 11, 2021, at the Hennepin County Courthouse in Minneapolis, Minn. Chauvin is accused in the May 25, 2020, death of George Floyd. (Court TV/Pool via Pool)
The woman, a recent college graduate, said she had seen bystander video of Floyd's arrest and closely read news coverage of the case. In response to a jury pool questionnaire, she said she had a "somewhat negative" view of Chauvin and that she thought he held his knee to Floyd's neck for too long.

"I could only watch part of the video, and from what I saw as a human, I, that did not give me a good impression," she said. She said she did not watch the bystander video in its entirety because "I just couldn’t watch it anymore."

The woman repeatedly said she could put aside her opinions and decide the case on the facts, but Chauvin attorney Eric Nelson nonetheless used one of his 15 challenges to dismiss her.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

With jury selection in its fourth day, six people have been seated — five men and one woman. Three of those seated are white, one is multiracial, one is Hispanic and one is Black, according to Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill.

Cahill has set aside three weeks for jury selection, with opening statements no sooner than March 29.

placeholder
Friday's quick dismissal echoed others earlier in the case for similar reasons. On Thursday, one woman was dismissed after she said she "can’t unsee the video" of Chauvin pinning Floyd.

Nelson pressed the woman hard on whether she could be fair despite her strong opinions.

Bridgett Floyd speaks about how losing her brother has impacted her on the first day of the Derek Chauvin trial which began with jury selection Monday, March 8, 2021 in Minneapolis, Minn. Chauvin is the former Minneapolis police officer charged in the death of George Floyd. (Richard Tsong-Taatarii/Star Tribune via AP)
"Looking in your heart and looking in your mind can you assure us you can set all of that aside, all of that, and focus only on the evidence that is presented in this courtroom?" Nelson asked.

"I can assure you, but like you mentioned earlier, the video is going to be a big part of the evidence and there’s no changing my mind about that," she replied.

Potential jurors' identities are being protected and they are not shown on livestreamed video of the proceedings.

Chauvin and three other officers were fired. The others face an August trial on aiding and abetting charges. The defense hasn't said whether Chauvin will testify in his own defense.
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Mule 11

Fox News would write this tripe? Another msn news source... It appears the court only allows positive views of drug dealing and violent criminals to be jurors. Represented by his peers seems correct.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Chauvin has a colorful past in his personell file. Was it all founded? Who knows.
I watched the arrest video several times and, 9 minutes with your knee on a cuffed prisoner was quite a bit over the line.
Do I think the Chauvin killed Floyd? With Floyd already having a lethal dose of fentanyl in his system, along with several other drugs, the knee certainly didn't help.
The Floyd family will go through that 27 million like a dose of salts through a widow woman.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
The Floyd family will go through that 27 million like a dose of salts through a widow woman.

Pretty much ^ ^
Be a lot of new big skreem teebees en
new Escalades hittin de skreets for long.
How many cans of malt likkah fit in a
bobtail truck? I wonder if the local foot
locker stores have enough Nike shoes and
socks on hand? Or if they'll have a GF sale?
Are they ordering extra inventory of red
sweatpants and leopard print fuzzy house
shoes? My gosh at the scenarios.  . .
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

I can't help but wonder if there'll be
a shortfall in the police and fire
department pension fund now like
there was here
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

Oh lawd I forgot to list the gold glitter
lipstick and the weaves
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Bob Riebe

Not a Christian attitude but I dearly nope the cops walk and Minneapolis burns again.

Offline Ranger99

Not a Christian attitude but I dearly nope the cops walk and Minneapolis burns again.
Why not Christian?
Because of the cops actually being innocent
which they are,  or the burning?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline mcbammer

Chauvin has a colorful past in his personell file. Was it all founded? Who knows.
I watched the arrest video several times and, 9 minutes with your knee on a cuffed prisoner was quite a bit over the line.
Do I think the Chauvin killed Floyd? With Floyd already having a lethal dose of fentanyl in his system, along with several other drugs, the knee certainly didn't help.
Apparently the knee technique is routine and by the book for restraining combative suspects .

Offline Ranger99

I don't have any LE training, but it
makes sense to me to do whatever
it takes to restrain a struggling suspect
regardless of the suspect's mental
or physical condition.
All I have to compare with is my
hunting and fishing experience.
If an animal or fish keeps flopping
around and might damage me or
my property, what's the course of
action? You escalate the force
needed to subdue the game .
Not really much difference here IMO
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

I'll add that handcuffs or not makes
no difference. They can still wreck
you, especially with a snoot full of
dope or hootch
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Dee

Apparently the knee technique is routine and by the book for restraining combative suspects .

Well, I guess I should have been more clear. A knee TO THE BACK OF THE NECK ain't exactly a good idea. Especially for 9+ minutes.
There! That's I meant.

Offline Dee

I'll add that handcuffs or not makes
no difference. They can still wreck
you, especially with a snoot full of
dope or hootch

Well, not to argue, but "necessary force", is all that is allowed. After Floyd was cuffed and face down on the pavement, the scuffle was over.
If it weren't, the other two cops wouldn't have been stupidly standing there, watching an unnecessary show of force.

Offline Goldie

• A Real Regular
Irregardless of the outcome there will not be a fair trial for these cops.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
$27mil for a dope fiend.  Now we know what reparations will look like.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline powderman

I got kicked off FB today for voicing my personal opinion on poor georgie. CHARLIE.  >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline scattershot

• A Real Regular
 So.... that’s the price for a worthless thug now?

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
If George was so bad off and couldn't breath. Then why was he struggling and able to be screaming profanities at these Police? According to the witnesses. Drugs killed Floyd not the police. He became hyperactive and suffered a heart attack.