Author Topic: heating gas  (Read 799 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
heating gas
« on: March 17, 2021, 10:29:10 PM »
My propane delivery guy filled my tank yesterday. I have a locked in price of  1.50 a lb till june. He said his boss just told him the price went up for 1.50 to 2.10 yesterday. Boss told him that he was told that its going even higher. Thanks JOE!!!
blue lives matter

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: heating gas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 03:19:06 AM »
My propane delivery guy filled my tank yesterday. I have a locked in price of  1.50 a lb till june. He said his boss just told him the price went up for 1.50 to 2.10 yesterday. Boss told him that he was told that its going even higher. Thanks JOE!!!
That's a big jump, and since it depends on natural gas and crude, yeah, it's going way up.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 03:29:10 AM »
I'm switching my wife kitchen cookin from electric to gas. Not a fan of total electric.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 04:36:12 AM »
You do the cookin'? I don't so I  defer to what the queen of the kitchen prefers and it's electric. I ain't messin' with the cook. This house only had provision for propane when we bought it and guess who had to crawl around under the house and run 210 to the kitchen.

I hope all the people that voted for slo jo are happy with their green new deal and greatly increased energy prices. He told us what he was going to do and it happened. No one that voted for him gets my sympathy when they bitch and bellyache about the increased costs we are seeing. 

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 06:33:46 AM »
It was on the news up here that the winter storm you had down there caused an increase in natural gas price to the supplier and they now want to pass that on to the customers.
Not sure how it works up here but they need permission to do so.

I loathe electric ranges, and outside of being easier to clean the new glass top ones are worse than the old ones.
You can set a NG range to simmer  and you know you have constant heat; electric it switches on and off, on and off, on and off with the new ones.
I do admit the real, real, real old ones with a built in deep fryer were kind of nice.

Offline ulav8r

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 07:08:53 AM »
Propane was $2.49 a gallon in Damascus, Arkansas last week.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »
I'm not a fan of electric ranges either, gas only at my house.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 01:39:33 PM »
191 and change increase from
last month's charges
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline magooch

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 05:27:52 PM »
Which brings to mind a little hymn about the one who stopped the fracking and brought this on.  An ode to Joe Obiden: Him, him--frack him.
Swingem

Offline Dee

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 05:35:40 PM »
You do the cookin'? I don't so I  defer to what the queen of the kitchen prefers and it's electric. I ain't messin' with the cook. This house only had provision for propane when we bought it and guess who had to crawl around under the house and run 210 to the kitchen.

I hope all the people that voted for slo jo are happy with their green new deal and greatly increased energy prices. He told us what he was going to do and it happened. No one that voted for him gets my sympathy when they bitch and bellyache about the increased costs we are seeing.

I cook outside. Switching the kitchen to natural gas in case  the electricity goes off in the winter time.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 05:42:34 PM »
  May be my imagination but I think food taste better cooked on gas stoves . 

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 10:07:37 PM »
My better half says gas stoves leave an oily film on cabinets that electric doesn't.
If the power is off for a while, I'll whip out the camp stove and keep on cooking.
I have an abundance of propane both in 1lb and 20lb cylinders.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 10:45:43 PM »
Were building a new house. Used to use gas ranges and for some reason went electric for about 20 years. Just ordred a new range for the house and we decided to go back to gas. I dont know about food tasting better but the burners and oven just heat up much faster.
blue lives matter

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 03:50:25 AM »

I think you have a vivid imagination.  ;D

I have two camp stoves, old but still in good shape, plus a Coleman lantern and two of my parent's kerosene lamps and a wood burning stove. I have survived electric outages of a few days a couple of times before and can do it again.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »

I agree with that even though I have no science to back that up. ;D
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Casull

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 01:00:04 PM »
Were building a new house. Used to use gas ranges and for some reason went electric for about 20 years. Just ordred a new range for the house and we decided to go back to gas. I dont know about food tasting better but the burners and oven just heat up much faster.

I don't know about that.  I always had gas stoves until I moved to Virginia about 11 years ago.  None of them would boil water as fast as my electric stove.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Goldie

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 02:58:51 PM »
My home is all electric in Arizona. Wouldn't want it no other way here. Gas companies have a monopoly on gas in this state and electric is much easier to deal with. Of course summers do your wallet damage but overall it works out.

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 03:49:43 PM »
I don't know about that.  I always had gas stoves until I moved to Virginia about 11 years ago.  None of them would boil water as fast as my electric stove.
On a gas range it depends on the size of the burner.
Heat is instant but amount applied determines cooking speed.
With the modern  electric , the other half now has, rather than the burner having a high and low range, it turns on and off continually which sucks, they give you a warming burner which is never used.
At the same time when we bought ma a new natural gas one twenty years ago, I wish we had spent more for  top line, they have more large burners, not a lot of little ones.

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »

I couldnt prove it  either , other than the fact , most  top chefs  or high end restaurants  use gas .

Offline magooch

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 05:03:17 PM »
If you go electric, I would suggest a glass top.  I've heard that they are not all equal, but the one we have is great; a Frigidaire.  It works extremely well and is supper easy to keep clean.  My wife says she wishes she had gas, but she has never cooked on gas.  She does have gas though-quite often.  We do have gas for outside cooking.  She makes me do that.
Swingem

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 11:56:06 PM »
our last two were glass tops. One i broke because a an in a cabinet about it fell on it and a replacement top was 2/3s the price of a new range. Second one the one we have now is about 5 years old and I think its actually harder to keep clean and it gets scratched. If i went electric again it would be a standard burner stove. Where i notice the speed of a gas beating out an electric is more with the oven. I have a gas stove in the garage I use to coat bullets and we have one at camp and it takes half the time to preheat compared to the electrics ive owned.
If you go electric, I would suggest a glass top.  I've heard that they are not all equal, but the one we have is great; a Frigidaire.  It works extremely well and is supper easy to keep clean.  My wife says she wishes she had gas, but she has never cooked on gas.  She does have gas though-quite often.  We do have gas for outside cooking.  She makes me do that.
blue lives matter

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2021, 02:26:36 AM »
My home is all electric in Arizona. Wouldn't want it no other way here. Gas companies have a monopoly on gas in this state and electric is much easier to deal with. Of course summers do your wallet damage but overall it works out.
My home is almost (gas water heater) total electric and we are on a plan where we pay the same amount every month.
Our neighbors pay more than double what we do in the summer, and we have long hot ones here.

BTW, their winter time gas bill is about the same as my gas and electric combined.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 03:14:51 AM »

I couldnt prove it  either , other than the fact , most  top chefs  or high end restaurants  use gas .

There's a reason you never see electric stoves in commercial kitchens.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2021, 04:10:14 AM »

There's a reason you never see electric stoves in commercial kitchens.
We are very careful when we sit cast iron on our cooktop, and sorta careful with stainless steel.
So I'm guessing that might be the reason. :)
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2021, 10:56:15 PM »
I worked my whole carreer in the power industry. It was common knowlege that it was 30 percent more expensive to heat with electric then with gas. Gas is cheaper for clothes dryers and water heaters too. We used to give a special rate for electric heat and water heaters but that went away. NOBODY up here heats with electric. Only ones i know that even have electric heat are guys that heat with wood and just use it for back up. now that may very well change if gas prices go through the roof but bottom line is if gas and fuel go through the roof electric rates follow. they use gas to generate power and to haul and mine the coal. If your neighbor is paying more its more likely his house is bigger or not as well insulated or he runs the ac and heat more. Either that or your getting a hell of a deal on electric where you live. Sure isnt the norm across the country.
My home is almost (gas water heater) total electric and we are on a plan where we pay the same amount every month.
Our neighbors pay more than double what we do in the summer, and we have long hot ones here.

BTW, their winter time gas bill is about the same as my gas and electric combined.
blue lives matter

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 02:13:22 AM »
Next to nobody heats with electric in northern climates, it would cost you a fortune. I use wood and propane, there's no way I'd consider electric ever. The only thing I have that's electric is my dryer and when that dies I'll be replacing it with gas.