Author Topic: HOW AXIS DEER ARE IMPACTING THE UNITED STATES  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
HOW AXIS DEER ARE IMPACTING THE UNITED STATES
« on: May 01, 2021, 03:09:39 AM »
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/invasion-axis-deer/

Posted by Chelsea Smith     November 30, 2020

Axis deer are threatening parts of Texas and other areas in the United States.
The axis deer, also known as the chital deer, is regarded as one of the most beautiful breeds of deer, and they're a far cry from the native Texas whitetail deer.

What are they?
Axis deer (scientific name Axis axis) sport an orange coat dotted with white spots--similar to that of a whitetail fawn--and white patches on their throats. They're classified under the Cervidae family, bearing resemblance to a number of other deer species such as the fallow deer. Axis deer males grow massive antlers, usually with three to six points, and can weigh up to 250 pounds. Adult females are usually a bit smaller.

Similar to the elk, these spotted deer are also extremely vocal, letting out distinctive sharp, alarm calls to communicate. Males are even known to bugle during the mating season. The gestation period for axis deer is around 220 days and breeding can occur year-round. It isn't uncommon for an axis to give birth twice in one year, giving them an obvious advantage over native deer species!

They typically have a slightly taller height and longer body length than a whitetail of the same age. Many people may mistake them for a European species like red deer. But there are also body similarities to species many associate with more southern climates like Australia in species like rusa, sambar or hog deer.

How did they get here?
Originally from southern India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka, the axis deer was introduced to Molokai, Hawaii in the 1860s, Maui years after that, and Texas in 1932, intended as a game animal.

At first, this worked out well. They were restricted to farms and controlled hunting sites, and provided ample meat to anyone who could bag one.

Of course, as often happens with animals in captivity, many axis deer eventually escaped to run wild around Texas. While the vast majority of axis deer remain in captivity, over 6,000 of them now roam freely, taking advantage of the warm weather and ample grasses similar to their native land.

Hawaiian wildlife officials are now dealing with many of the same issues as Texas simply because these animals have no natural predators there either.

The impact
Though not known to be an aggressive species, the primary threat of the axis deer lies in the fact that, large as Texas is, there simply aren't enough open areas for two thriving species of deer. The axis deer and the whitetail must compete for resources.

Unfortunately, the whitetail aren't the only ones to suffer. Local farmers must now protect their fields and gardens from this larger, bolder forager who stands to ruin their fields.

The axis deer is also unfortunately hardy, which is likely one reason they were introduced in the first place. While one might expect a foreign species to succumb easily to diseases in a new environment, axis deer do not. In fact, they are more resistant to outbreaks than the whitetails so, while whitetail populations are often culled, the axis populations continue to grow.

As is common with invasive species, the axis deer also have few natural predators. While coyotes and bobcats will go after them, they are powerless to make a significant dent in the axis deer population.

What can we do?
Good news: The best way to manage the axis deer is also the simplest. You can hunt them whenever you like! In the state of Texas, non-native and exotic game don't have a limited hunting season. So, unlike whitetails, you can bag an axis deer any time you like.

Better yet, there is no bag or possession limit, so you can bring home as many axis deer as you like, so long as you have room in your truck. The only special thing you need is a non-game permit from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, which differs from the standard state hunting license.

As far as wild game meat goes, a male axis deer is just as if not better than a whitetail of the same size.

Of course, most people who want to start axis hunting in particular will flock to hunting ranches, like the Ox Hunting Ranch. As more and more axis deer run wild, it may be just as easy to bag one without making a special trip or shelling out the extra money.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: HOW AXIS DEER ARE IMPACTING THE UNITED STATES
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 03:57:45 AM »
  Wow!  I didn't know that!  I am surprised to learn that such is the case.  Even as stands, I am surprised that coyotes and red wolves haven't thrived like gangbusters on them!
  Perhaps Texas needs some new predators, but then as we have so often found out, unless we are very, very circumspect when introducing predators, or any foreign species to our landscape, we can cause more problems that we cure.
  E.g.  English sparrow, the dandelion..kudzu and many others.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »
We are flat covered up with them in our county here in the Texas Hill Country and from what I have seen are impacting our whitetail population here. Their ability to drop a couple of fawns a year also factors in for sure and they eat plants the whitetail won't touch. We live a few miles outside of town and every single tree we plant has to have a wire enclosure around them to keep the Axis from destroying them. Same goes for our vegetable garden, I have an 8' foot fence around it and an electric fence on the outside of that to keep them from tearing through the other fence. Unfortunately where we live was annexed by the city and we're not allowed to shoot the darn things. On the bright side with the drought last year I only had to fire up our mower twice, they kept the grass cropped down and I didn't have to mow all season long.
wtxbadger

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 09:21:11 AM »
All deer are vermin and need a much longer bag limit and season up here.
Sadly Coyotes DO NOT do any thing to control the population
Turkeys in towns and cities are becoming the equivalent of Starlings to me, only they do more damage. 8)

Offline ironglows

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »
All deer are vermin and need a much longer bag limit and season up here.
Sadly Coyotes DO NOT do any thing to control the population
Turkeys in towns and cities are becoming the equivalent of Starlings to me, only they do more damage. 8)
   Don't you think the coyotes cut into the deer population by taking fawns?

Hey!  ..Maybe Texas could somehow get the hogs and coyotes to hunt each other !

The only recent impact as such that I have seen around here, is the diminishing numbers of woodchucks (groundhogs) as the coyote population grows.  Our black bear numbers seem to be rising..
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 10:56:24 AM »
The axis around the outpost didn't
escape, so much as they were turned
out when the HF ranches failed, much
like when the emu business went
belly up.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 10:13:51 PM »
I wish someone would release some around here...  They'd have to be easier to hunt than the black tail deer we have.

Tony

Offline ironglows

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 12:48:15 AM »
I wish someone would release some around here...  They'd have to be easier to hunt than the black tail deer we have.

Tony

Careful what you wish for....   I recall a year or so ago, when somebody on GBO wished they had hogs where they live.

It didn't take very many minutes for those who live in "hog plentiful" areas to set them straight !   ;)  ;D

Offline Moleman

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 06:41:12 PM »
About a dozen years ago or so I was hunting on a huge farm in northern IL in January.  Land owner wanted me to shoot an old "dry doe" and only an old dry doe if I ever wanted to hunt there again,  Once I had a doe he would let you hunt bucks.  So I was on the lookout for an old doe.  Had tons of young ones go by and some decent bucks.   Then I saw the smallest odd looking doe I've ever seen without spots on it. It was noticeably smaller than the other does. Was out in front of me for an hour or so often within bow range in the tall grass.   Made casual mention of it to the owner who suddenly got very interested in where I'd seen that doe and was pissed that I didn't shoot it.  Come to find out that a game farm just a few miles away in WI had some japanese sika deer escape and at least one of the does made it way to his farm.  Two of the guys we hunted with were DNR officers later said to shoot it on site if we saw it again as it didn't have an ear tag as required.   

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 02:30:33 AM »
We ge at least one elk drift down outta New Mexico a year in this area. No season on'em here and somebody usually  shoots it.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 10:52:49 PM »
id sure like that problem. Buddy had a game ranch and had some axis there for clients to shoot. One shot one but believe it or not told him his family wouldnt eat it. He gave it to me and its hands down better eating then whitetail. About the same taste as a caribou and are larger then a whitetail. I gave dad some and he said it was the best venison he ever ate. Fallow deer is another one id gladly help do some population control on!! I know up here if you said it was open season on any deer bear or pig theyd be eradicated in a month. Had to laugh a few years back. Dave who has the game farm said his fence got ripped open by pigs and 8 got out. Now this is a BIG area. theres MILES of swamp and hardwoods between his place in a town of about 200 till the next town. As the bird flys a good 10 miles in any direction and some of the thickest woods and swamps youll see. He went into the local bar slash restaurant slash grocery store slash gas station and told the 6 guys that were in there that they got out and ask them to make some calls and help kill them. By the end of the next day was every pig that escaped was dead. Problem up here is keeping the poachers from killing everything that breaths.
blue lives matter