Author Topic: California set to ban all lawn and garden equipment.  (Read 506 times)

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
  • Trade Count: (0)
California set to ban all lawn and garden equipment.
« on: May 02, 2021, 04:51:17 AM »
https://www.abc10.com/article/life/california-leaf-blower-ban/103-f10a4a0c-8353-4e2d-88d7-6d1b1098317e

CALIFORNIA, USA — Two California assemblymembers have introduced a piece of legislation that would effectively phase out leaf blowers, lawn mowers and other outdoor power equipment in the state.
Assemblymembers Marc Berman (D-Menlo Park) and Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego) put forth AB 1346, which proposes stopping the sale of new gas-powered small off-road engines (SORE), primarily used for leaf blowers and lawn mowers. The bill would also require all new sales of SORE to be zero-emission by at least 2024.
The new legislation is tied to California's attempts to mitigate the impacts of climate change.
"It’s time to phase out these super polluters. They’re not only bad for our environment, but can cause serious health issues for workers who utilize them every day," Assemblywoman Gonzalez said in a press release.
According to the press release, SORE are engines that use a relatively low amount of power — roughly 25 horsepower — but have a large impact. They can be especially harmful to air quality.
“Today, operating the best-selling gas-powered commercial leaf blower for one hour emits air pollutants comparable to driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from Los Angeles to Denver,” Assemblymember Berman said.
In 2020, the city of Sacramento passed a ban on using leaf blowers when the Air Quality Index is at or above 101. By tying the ban to air quality, Sacramento landscapers would likely only need to find alternatives for a few days a year.
However, the statewide proposal would make the change more permanent than Sacramento's ordinance, requiring landscapers to switch to alternatives by 2024 or whenever the California Air Resources Board (CARB) determines is feasible, whichever is later.
If passed, the bill would phase out gas-powered engines, but would not ban the sale of those engines immediately in order to give the landscaping industry time to catch up.
"We can and must help small landscaping businesses replace their gas-powered equipment with cleaner alternatives," Assemblywoman Gonzalez said.

They don't call it the land of fruits and nuts for no reason.

Offline oldandslow

Re: California set to ban all lawn and garden equipment.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 06:17:41 AM »
The inmates are truly in charge of that asylum. Our group if inmates seems to be on the same path only not quite as far along it----yet.

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 07:05:32 AM »
The inmates are truly in charge of that asylum. Our group if inmates seems to be on the same path only not quite as far along it----yet.

I was wondering about that also. This governor we have now wants to make this state California's ugly little brother.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »
So. . . I wonder what they plan on doing
about trimming all the lawns and shrubs
of those southern california mansions where
the celebrities live? I know there's no way
any electrical anything would cut the mustard
here.  One of the migrated neighbors
already tried that route, and found out that
electric lawn tools might be ok for these
newer tract houses with a 30X30 back yard,
but won't make the grade for these older
houses like this one with a half an acre
fenced in in the back.
Then, there's the question about the manufacture
of the batteries, the disposal question, generating
power for recharging, etc. etc.

Another knee jerk reaction is all

No thought put into it

Again
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 11:45:24 AM »
I switched to all battery powered equipment.  Kobalt - Lowe's brand.  I have a blower, chain saw, weed eater, and lawn mower.  All work great.  Much easier than gasoline.  Every piece of equipment came with a battery and charger.  So, if I use one until the battery dies, I just get another battery from one of the other pieces of equipment. 

Now, I only have about a half acre lot in town.  I only keep gasoline for my pressure washer and generator.  However, my generator can run propane or natural gas too.  I have a big 100 lb tank about 12-14" in diameter and 4 to 4-1/2' tall that I strapped to a tank carrying hand truck so I can move it to refuel at the local propane place.  It stores way longer than gasoline, like 10 years. 

I changed for convenience.  I do not believe it should be manditory.  Let the market decide.  I've only had to replace on battery after several years, and it was $100.  Expensive, but I probably saved that much in gasoline over the years. 

A car magazine recently finished a test at 75,000 miles of a Tesla vs a similar configured BMW at about the same price range.  The Tesla cost $8,000 less to operate than the BMW over 75,000 miles.  No gasoline or oil changes.  The electricity to charge the Tesla was far less cost over this time frame.  I didn't know it would make that much difference.  The Tesla was mostly charged at home, but did use the charging stations Tesla provided the car owner who drove it from Kentucky to Louisiana on occasion.  Don't know about the BMW owner.  There is a Tesla charging station 3 miles from my house at the mall.  I have seen someone charging there every time I've been by.  As many as 4 at a time with only 6 slots.  The charging stations run off of 440 volts I think and can charge a Tesla in 45 minutes.  220 volts at home is 3 hours, 110 volts takes 8 hours to charge one. 

My electric equipment can charge a battery for it in about 30 minutes or less.  The lawn mower takes two batteries while the other equipment takes one.  I can cut my entire yard with the two batteries and one is dead and one is about dead when I finish so I don't have to replace the batteries during a cut.  Batteries on the equipment just pop in and out.   
Opelika Portal

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 12:05:38 PM »
I switched to all battery powered equipment.  Kobalt - Lowe's brand.  I have a blower, chain saw, weed eater, and lawn mower.  All work great.  Much easier than gasoline.  Every piece of equipment came with a battery and charger.  So, if I use one until the battery dies, I just get another battery from one of the other pieces of equipment. 

Now, I only have about a half acre lot in town.  I only keep gasoline for my pressure washer and generator.  However, my generator can run propane or natural gas too.  I have a big 100 lb tank about 12-14" in diameter and 4 to 4-1/2' tall that I strapped to a tank carrying hand truck so I can move it to refuel at the local propane place.  It stores way longer than gasoline, like 10 years. 

I changed for convenience.  I do not believe it should be manditory.  Let the market decide.  I've only had to replace on battery after several years, and it was $100.  Expensive, but I probably saved that much in gasoline over the years. 

A car magazine recently finished a test at 75,000 miles of a Tesla vs a similar configured BMW at about the same price range.  The Tesla cost $8,000 less to operate than the BMW over 75,000 miles.  No gasoline or oil changes.  The electricity to charge the Tesla was far less cost over this time frame.  I didn't know it would make that much difference.  The Tesla was mostly charged at home, but did use the charging stations Tesla provided the car owner who drove it from Kentucky to Louisiana on occasion.  Don't know about the BMW owner.  There is a Tesla charging station 3 miles from my house at the mall.  I have seen someone charging there every time I've been by.  As many as 4 at a time with only 6 slots.  The charging stations run off of 440 volts I think and can charge a Tesla in 45 minutes.  220 volts at home is 3 hours, 110 volts takes 8 hours to charge one. 

My electric equipment can charge a battery for it in about 30 minutes or less.  The lawn mower takes two batteries while the other equipment takes one.  I can cut my entire yard with the two batteries and one is dead and one is about dead when I finish so I don't have to replace the batteries during a cut.  Batteries on the equipment just pop in and out.   

Last year I bought a battery powered Kobalt weed eater. Best weed eater I've ever had.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 10:00:28 PM »
The batteries for these electric lawn and garden tools are all made in China.  Follow the money...

Tony

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 01:47:26 AM »
That's because it takes certain mined materials to build these batteries, and the government/epa has shut down certain  mining operations. China  hasn't. The money trail ends at Bidens front door.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 02:26:46 AM »
Bill Clinton handed China the world and until Trump no one gave any thought to reining them in. Now slo jo is in charge and the status quo has returned. I wonder how many millions from them have gone into slick willie's and jo's pockets. No one will ever know and most don't care.

With that off my chest I'll get into battery powered tools. I love certain ones. Drills, sanders, jig saws, recip saws, leaf blowers and even a pole saw. I went with an Echo trimmer when my gas one died a couple of years ago for the big stuff in the pasture around the house. It weighs about the same as the gas one, has as much power, and when it's battery gives out so am I. I use a small combo trimmer/edger for my yard. One large battery will do my yard with both trimmer and leaf blower and have juice left. I have used the trimmer and blower for years and have yet to replace a battery. Electric doesn't fit for me with anything larger. The reason I prefer them is they are so handy to use. No gas to mess with and no power cords either.

The greenies conveniently ignore the cost and pollution to make batteries and that from power plants that provide the power to charge them. You also never hear a squeak about the disposal of the worn out stuff either. To them it's like they are magic or fairy dust that require no resources to make, power, and dispose of. 

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 04:02:20 AM »
There is enough lithium in the California mountains to power every car in America.  California won't let them mine it.  Tesla is mining lithium in Nevada near the California border.  They have a huge battery factory in Nevada they recently built.  China has bought lithium mines in South America and Africa.  A lot is also in Afghanistan. 

However, China by having cornered the market on lithium in the 3rd world, can get it cheaper and use their cheap labor to make batteries. 

With Joe in office we are now importing oil again.  So gas prices have and will go up as well as everything else.  We are having inflation, whether the Dems lie about it or not.  They are spending too much to get more control over peoples lives.  Communists and Marxists have taken over the Democrat party as well as rich Billionaires who are infatuated with Communist theory for the "masses". 
Opelika Portal

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 12:42:09 PM »
i think this is a great idea for calf.  seeings the sob wont fall into the ocean, maybe it will be incinerated by dead grass, brush, trees, and "homeless" feces.
Everything before BUT is B.S.