Author Topic: DMSO  (Read 3273 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
DMSO
« on: May 13, 2021, 05:00:09 PM »
For what it's worth:

I had COVID19 before it was well known it was out there and it left me with a weakened heart.  I went from having A-Fib that was controlled by meds to full on A-Fib all the time.  I was also left with congestive heart failure after COVID19.  It's not as bad as it sounds but it's not good to say the least.

Anyway some where along the line I tweaked my knee and I have a long history of using DMSO on my achy joints and I a true believer that it works.  I've found that it helps all kinds of injuries heal much faster.  So I was putting DMSO on my knee and I felt since it helps my knees, I wonder if it will help my heart?  So I slathered it on my chest and every where else my skin could take it.  DMSO and even the 85% gel solution I use can be hard on sensitive skin so I've always had to use it sparingly on my bad shoulder...   My heart rhythm seemed better for a few days.  After every treatment I'd feel a little stronger and my rhythm would be better.

I saw my cardiologist last week and I really wanted to know if he thought I was doing better.  He said my heart rhythm sounded good and was amazed that DMSO helped.  For me the results were near instantaneous I felt a little better right away and obviously better the next day.  I know this could be written off as anecdotal evidence but it sure seems to work for me.
My previous cardiologist retired and closed his off yesterday and I'm looking forward to talking about this with my new doctor in a couple weeks.  If I'm right about this it could help a lot of people and is something that should be studied...

Tony

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: DMSO
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about that you have my prayers. I'm glad to hear about using DMSO for your heart. I too have Afib/Aflutter and congestive heart failure. I used DMSO for joint stuff years ago, but had forgotten about it. I need to get some more and see if it helps me also. Thanks for posting. gene

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 09:37:12 PM »
I can't promise that it will help your heart like it has mine but in my experience, it helps most peoples joints.  Look for the 85% gel.  The full strength stuff is hell on the skin...

Back when it was illegal to sell, I acquired a few quarts of the gel as part of a business deal.  I sold one quart a few ounces at a time an I or my family used the rest.  My family thought it was like snake oil to begin with but it made believers out of all of them.  I think of it like a gift from God.  What was once a nearly useless industral byproduct turned out of have amazing healing properties...  A few years later Oregon passed a law that said that it could be sold over the counter for "veterinary use."  That was probably the last good law passed in this state.

Tony

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 05:33:56 AM »
Its   Horse liniment  ,didnt help my  arthritis , but I bought it at a flee market . So you can factor that in my results .

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 07:43:42 AM »
In the US the FDA keeps it from being sold for human use but in other countries it's a first line treatment for arthritis.  They use a lot of it in Japan...

Tony

Offline ironglows

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 09:23:26 AM »
  I tried it for old Arthur-itis .  It didn't help me any, but that in no way means it wouldn't help the next guy.

We are all a bit different..that's what makes the world go round..
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:41:28 PM »
I read all this as I had never heard of DMSO. All I could find was 99%, so today  I bought a jar.
Any advice on this 99% version.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 01:07:42 PM »
DMSO is great for a lot of things, we use it on fever blisters and cold soars. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING DMSO!!!! YOU MUST HAVE CLEAN HANDS AND CLEAN SKIN WHERE APPLIED!!! The way DMSO works it will push any chemical on your skin straight to your blood stream no matter what it is. The way it works on fever blisters is to push the virus back to the base of the spine where it lives until aggravated.

It can help with arthritis in most people but some seem to notice no benefits from it. If arthritis is a problem then the best treatment I know of is Asparagus (RAW) eat about a pound a week for three to four weeks and you should be good to go for the rest of the year, add it to your regular diet and stay good to go.

I also highly recommend an apple cider vinegar (Bragg raw unfiltered with Mother is the best I've seen)  compress  for about 30 min. The acid in the ACV will help to alleviate the throbbing pain rather quickly BUT IT STINKS to most so be warned.   

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Dee

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 01:49:24 PM »
Tried the Braggs several years ago. Couldn't handle that stuff.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 02:28:02 PM »
I read all this as I had never heard of DMSO. All I could find was 99%, so today  I bought a jar.
Any advice on this 99% version.

Wash the area you're going to apply it too first.  For me it's easiest to just apply it after a shower.  With that strong of a solution, I'd apply it very sparingly until you see how your skin reacts. 

I suggest keep looking for some gel formula.  Around here I get it from Coastal Farm and Ranch and the Wilco Farm store.  I've been using it off and on since the early 1980's and I never could take the full strength stuff...

I looked at the containers I have (I always have 2 or 3 extra on hand) and it doesn't say how much gel is in the solution.  I found this link to a 90% gel on Amazon.  I think it's around the same price as what I get from the farm stores...
https://www.amazon.com/DMSO-90-Gel-16/dp/B079G51FNQutm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NX_NTM_Shopping_Smart_All%20Products&utm_term=4583451673390440&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

Tony

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
Cider vinegar seemed to make my arthritis worse but so does citrus fruit.  I have to be careful how much lemon I use in cooking and I can't eat oranges any more.  I have to be careful that when I buy vitamin C to get either rose hip or artificially made C....

Tony

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 08:05:58 PM »
I did some more searching and I also looked up what I was paying at Coastal Farm and Ranch.  I'm getting a 4 ounce jar for 7 bucks locally and the best I can find for the same size jar is 10 bucks on Amazon but their 14 ounce jar beats the local price by 50 cents an ounce.

This place has some killer good prices but I didn't see how much they charge for postage.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/dmso

I think the next time I'm getting low, I'll order a 14 ounce jar from Amazon.  In the bad old days I'd get it by the quart in Mason jars...

Tony

Offline ironglows

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 12:20:28 AM »
  Matt;
   Thanks for the information on various regimens.  It does stand to reason, that certain acids would work on arthritis, since as I understand it, arthritis is a calcium buildup.  Perhaps with some folks such as Geezer, breaking down the calcite just causes more discomfort.

The fever sore cure sounds novel and glad it works, may have to try it !

DMSO reminds me of the odor pervading the air, wherever one is near a paper mill operation.  Up here, Johnsonburg, PA has such a mill, and where I had a home one time in Texas, when the wind shifted to the northeast..we would get traces of the smell, coming down from Silsbee, TX.

Is DMSO a byproduct of the paper industry?

There may be a change in the formula since then, since last time I drove through Johnsonburg, the odor didn't seem to be so pervasive.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 01:55:50 AM »
DMSO is a bi-product of the paper industry. Had a Zoom meeting with my daughter last night, she works for a chiropractor where I got it before. She is going to get me some and also try it for her headaches.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 08:32:40 AM »
Supposedly it was discovered as a healing agent here in Oregon and was studied for various things by Oregon Health Sciences University. 

Back around 1980, I lost a fingernail working on a bike.  In an instant, it was ripped out and gone.  After I got the bleeding under control, I put DMSO all around the injury and then wrapped it up in gauze.  My finger got pruney like I'd been in a bath too long but the skin there was firm not soft.  I asked around to other DMSO users and found a one that told me she would do the same if she banged up a finger or a toe.  So I didn't worry and kept it bandaged up.  Three days later it was all healed (still no fingernail) and it looked like baby skin where I'd soaked my finger in DMSO.  That's when I first discovered the healing properties of DMSO. BTW, it hurt like hell every time I bumped it until the nail grew back...  It was late winter and my only transportation was a Suzuki 750 and I couldn't wear a right glove...

You can't use on on an injury with broken skin but you can apply it all around the injury and the skin will heal faster.  Just recently I managed to scrape a chunk of skin off my lower leg.  I lost a section about the size of a dime.  I still don't know how I did it but that's another story.  I kept it clean and would swab it with alcohol and rebandage it daily.  After several days it didn't look like it was healing properly so put DMSO all around the wound and the next day it scabbed over and a couple days later I noticed it was all healed.

I don't pretend to know how it works, I only know that it does.  My left hip is so far gone that I only get a modicum of relief from anything but the opiates I can no longer get.  When and if I can get my weight down, I'll get a new hip joint put in.  It would be nice to get it done since the pins they put in when I was a teen stunted the growth of that leg and it's about 3/4" shorter than the other one and they can fix that at the same time.

Tony

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 10:42:47 AM »
So far I haven't had any bad reactions to this 99%, and neither has Linda.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 03:31:29 PM »
That's great now try a little over everywhere it hurts.  It shouldn't take long for you to figure out how much you can use and how often.  It's different for everybody just go slow.

When I got the idea to see if it would help my heart problems, I was only using it on my right knee.  Since I was having a lot of leg swelling, I'd do the treatment in the evenings so that when the fluids in my legs redistributed in my sleep, they'd carry the DMSO throughout my body.  I told that to my cardiologist and he felt the need to tell me that was right.  I kept it to myself that I thought that was a no brainer.  Anyway as I've said before I put it on my chest, arms and shoulders too.  My shoulders like the rest of me as taken a beating in bike crashes and using it there is another no brainer...

Over the past few months the amount of leg and foot swelling I was experiencing is now less than half of what it was a year ago.  I don't remember how long ago I started doing this but 7 or 8 months ago sounds about right.  Sometimes I would skip a week but now with the results confirmed with my cardiologist, I plan to not skip a week again...  My hope is that my heart gets enough better than I can salt my food again but that might be wishful thinking.

If it helps anyone else like this, we need to recommend it to others.

Tony

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2021, 03:18:05 AM »

"Search for: Is DMSO harmful to humans?
Why was DMSO banned?
In 1965, however, the FDA banned all clinical trials involving DMSO because it was found to cause changes in the refractive index of the lens in the eyes of a number of animals [10].Mar 31, 2016"

I hope none of you develop eye problems.  Maybe it has been proven safe now.

Back in the eighties DSMO which was available as horse liniment was touted as a pain reliever for arthritis. Dissolve aspirin in it and rub it on the aching joint was the recommendation. I don't know if it worked or not as I never tried it. So was WD-40 and one of my wife's aunts swore by it. All it ever did for me was make me smell like WD-40.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2021, 04:02:56 AM »
I've been using it for years and I've had no degradation in my vision.  I read about a woman that died during a trial in the UK.  From what the reports said, she had a lot of heath problems and it was never proven the DMSO was a factor in her death.

Oregon Health Sciences University test it up though the late 1970s.  There was never a chance the FDA would approve it since no one would pay for the testing since there was not way for it to be patented.  Another follow the money situation...

Tony

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 11:18:47 AM »
I don't know how old you are. If your age fits you user name then you are extremely lucky not to have had any vision degradation in several years. Maybe the DSMO use actually helped in the vision department.  Who knows?

Offline ironglows

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 12:58:03 PM »
"Oregon Health Sciences University test it up though the late 1970s.  There was never a chance the FDA would approve it since no one would pay for the testing since there was not way for it to be patented.  Another follow the money situation..."
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
   Right  ^^^THERE^^^..is the reason why some good cures would never be approved.  I can recall when as a kid in 3rd grade, my teacher would carry on about, "stay away from 'patent' medicines.

I still don't know for sure why she thought 8 year old kids would be interested in such a warning, but we got it! 

Back then, many prescriptions were formulated right in the pharmacy, which is why a mortar & Pestel or a picture of one is still displayed prominently in pharmacies.

That teacher must have had something on the ball, because it seems that in the late 40s and the 50s, patent medicines got their start..

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2021, 03:23:23 PM »
I'll spare y'all my full FDA rant but needless to say, I have little respect for them.  Good drugs that are used in other countries can never be sold here because the FDA only accepts their own test data and not one will pay for the testing since they cannot get a patent on the drug. 

The liberals complain about "Big Pharmacy" but their FDA created it and keeps it going.

Tony

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 02:42:54 AM »
I'll spare y'all my full FDA rant but needless to say, I have little respect for them.  Good drugs that are used in other countries can never be sold here because the FDA only accepts their own test data and not one will pay for the testing since they cannot get a patent on the drug. 

The liberals complain about "Big Pharmacy" but their FDA created it and keeps it going.

Tony

The laws that forbid Americans from buying their own drugs without a doctor's prescription is another racket. If we actually lived in a free country we wouldn't have to ask permission to ingest whatever we wanted in our bodies. That would free up a lot of those treatments that you mentioned because it would take Big Pharma out of the loop.

My girlfriend's son lives in Thailand and you can walk into any pharmacy you want and get whatever you want without seeing a doctor. It's sad that a country like Thailand has more freedom in that respect than we do.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2021, 07:58:13 PM »
When I was in college I read a paper in a philosophy class (of all places) about the constitutionality of restricting recreational drugs.  I didn't really want to agree with the writer of the paper but he (I'm assuming it was a he,) nailed it.  The Feds really have no basis in the constitution to regulate what drugs we can buy.

I'm one of many that have severe chronic pain and can't get anything stronger than over the counter meds.  All of which are more likely to kill you than opiates.

Tony

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2021, 01:55:54 AM »
When I was in college I read a paper in a philosophy class (of all places) about the constitutionality of restricting recreational drugs.  I didn't really want to agree with the writer of the paper but he (I'm assuming it was a he,) nailed it.  The Feds really have no basis in the constitution to regulate what drugs we can buy.

I'm one of many that have severe chronic pain and can't get anything stronger than over the counter meds.  All of which are more likely to kill you than opiates.

Tony

There are a lot of conservatives who refuse to accept that any federal drug law is unconstitutional. It can be a tough pill to swallow when you realize you've been supporting unconstitutional laws but at some point you have to face the truth.

I would much rather live in a country where the government follows the Constitution than live in a country where the government ignores the Constitution  in order to keep us "safe".

You're right about the OTC pain meds, the few that actually help are bad for your body long term.

Have you heard of "ghost pipe" or "indian pipe"? I watched a video on that recently and it is supposed to be an effective naturally occurring plant for pain. I guess it works by dulling the pain at nerve endings, similar to the way Novocaine works. You harvest the flowers and make a tincture with them. 
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2021, 02:18:44 AM »
I had not heard of Indian pipe flowers until now.  I did a search and I think these grow wild in my yard.  They only come up briefly is spring and then are gone.  Next year I'll dig them up and transplant them to some containers.  I'm skeptical they'll help me since I've tried so many things that did little to nothing.  I took wild lettuce extract for awhile but it seemed to work the same way turmeric does and turmeric extract is cheaper. Some things help a little but nothing really replaces opiates.

Tony

Offline Dee

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 02:51:47 AM »
I take a pill 3 nights a week to sleep. The doctor wants me to take it every night. It's an opiate, and I've seen what they do, so I hold myself back.

I can sympathize with you geezerbiker on constant pain. Two surgeons said they could only help me with pain management, and one said both knees need total replacement.
Both shoulders have torn rotator cuffs, and my right bicep is torn lose from the shoulder and bone.

I'm not counting broke bones, but I've had several.

I'm a very slow healer because of type 2 diabetes so I'm slow getting all this fixed and replaced,  but Aleve is all that helps.
Opiates will take over long term, and I've seen that 1st hand so I rejected those, and have accepted, and learned to live with it.

But then again, my pain may not be as severe as yours.

This old age ain't for sissies.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2021, 03:17:00 AM »
Huh, I thought knees were replaceable and rotator cuffs were fixable. My wife has had  a bionic knee for at least fifteen years and it's pain free. I  had both rotator cuffs put back together in 2010 or 11, forget exactly when, and am pain free with those with 100% of movement back. The surgery was easy but getting them back to working was a genuinely unpleasant undertaking. It's generic aleve for the rest of my hurts of which I have more than a few. Aleve is supposed to be the most benign of the n-said group of pain killers and it works pretty well for me. I'm lucky in that I need no help in sleeping, The aleve is a daytime thing only for me.

Offline Dee

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 03:34:40 AM »
I have (or had) three friends that had successful knee replacements. Later, two developed cancers that were cured with treatment, however the treatments lowered their immune systems causing their bodies to reject the replacements. Infection set in and killed them both. The 3rd developed diabetes, the replacement knee began to develop swelling, then infection, then death.
Linda was nearing wheelchair status and made the decision to get total knee replacements. This month will be her 1 year anniversary for her second replacement. Everything has gone well this time. The first one turned out well, but had some problems in the first 3 months.
One of her friends a 3 replacements on one knee. None worked for her.

My point was, and is. I have a lot of old injuries that are haunting me  now. But I'm still walking. I don't want to go thru 4 to 5 rehabs at 71 years old, and roll the dice knowing I'm slow to heal.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 07:46:06 AM »
I have pins in my left hip from when I was 13 years old.  I was in a fast growth spurt (I was 6'2" tall at the time) and the ball of my hip broke in 2 top to bottom, front to back.  Thee days later I had surgery to pin it back together.  They couldn't get the pins out a year later so they clipped the ends of them off so they wouldn't poke me from the inside any more.  Now my left hip is rotten and I can't walk very far at all.  I've been doing everything I can to stay out of a wheelchair.

I have knee, shoulder, back and neck in injuries from bike crashes.  In 1983 I was rear ended while riding my Guzzi 850.  The drunk SOB hit me while I was moving going about 20 MPH faster than I was going.  I think he was PO'ed that I had passed him earlier and floored it.  I had no clue that one was coming. 

DMSO helps with my arthritis and the fibromyalgia in my legs but doesn't do anything for damaged joints.  I used to get 150 10mg hydrocodone pills a month and now I get none.  I wasn't addicted after 3 years of taking them and the only thing I had when I ran out was more pain.  The truth is only a small percentage of people that take opiates get addicted and most of them take too many because they like the high.  I found the high annoying so I'd break my pills in half and take the halves 2 to 3 hours apart.  I was able to stretch out the relief with only an occasional high that a nap always cured.

Now my regular pain mix is 1 tylonal, 2 aspirin and 3 turmeric extract capsules. I can take that 4 or 5 times a day but no more or I risk more heath problems.  Ibuprofen and naproxin sodium both have given me ulcers and in the mid 90's I spent a week in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer than nearly ended me.

Tony