Author Topic: A moment in history... How Scotland acquired it's national flower..  (Read 457 times)

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
  Timeline, 13th century...Alexander II is king of Scotland (1249-1286).  Things have become strained between Alexander and King Haakon of Norway.
  King Haakon lands on the Scottish coast, nearby where today's Largs is located. At night, they start to move out toward where some recon said a large Scottish bivouac is located.

Haakon's aim was for complete surprise.  He had nearly accomplished his goal, when one of his troops stepped full onto a big, ugly thistle.  His outcry alerted the Scots, who went on to defeat Haakon in a rout.

Naturally, in the fullness of time, the Scots selected the Thistle as their national flower.  You find the thistle blossom decorating many things Scottish.

The same plant is common here in the northeast..my lawn has plenty of them.  My Dad used to call them "Bull Thistles", since they are so much more profuse in their foliage, than a plain pasture thistle.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Got plenty of them here in Alabama.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglows

Got plenty of them here in Alabama.

I wasn't sure of that Bill, so I only mentioned the northeast..  Thanks for the info..
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
I can also say the OK Panhandle has no shortage of them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline oldandslow

We have one that looks exactly like that. I wish Scotland had mine. Damn things can't be gotten rid of.

Offline ironglows

We have one that looks exactly like that. I wish Scotland had mine. Damn things can't be gotten rid of.

Aah! ..But like the scots of old, when stepped upon, will strike back, delivering pain..  Note: the second half of this tune explains that sharpness of their response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4

Offline oldandslow

The outcry it caused may have saved one or more of my ancestors from Haaken. Who knows? I still wish Scotland had my share of them.

Offline ironglows

The outcry it caused may have saved one or more of my ancestors from Haaken. Who knows? I still wish Scotland had my share of them.

Now, I am a bit of the "rebel' where that is concerned.  My roots, about 370 years ago, are in Scotland.  That's when my first progenitor arrived her as a POW, and sold into indentured slavery.  In fact, there was MAC in front of my surname then.
  So..being a bit of the romantic..I cut off most of the bull thistles in my yard...but leave a few "wee ones"..as a tribute..and the blossoms are darn pretty..if you just keep your hands off !

Hey that may be a good lesson for the politicians of today....just "keep your hands off"..

In fact, the photo above and that slogan, could be a good starting point for a new, more conservative, political party.. ;) ;D