Author Topic: Laser Level to level house  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Rex in OTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Laser Level to level house
« on: May 24, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »
I have a berger brand laser level, I have to shoot a couple OTZ homes on pilings, the Berger tripod is a real hassle to move and have to relevel every time I move the level.
Was wondering if a water tub would be better?
Then float the level on a sheet of pinkboard foam insulation?
Itd be low enuf to the ground to lay a water mark/datum mark on the pilings and then could measure to the bottoms of the building beams.
Thinking I will make a sparkle stick, use some adhesive backed hardware store reflective tape on a yardstick to pick up the laser in daylight.

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • A Real Regular
Re: Laser Level to level house
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 02:00:42 PM »
Ever try one of the small laser levels that are self leveling?  When I had to pour some runners for the car port I had installed out on my hunting spot, I used one like this, and line levels, to set the level of the 8"x12"x20' cement runner.  Not too good in bright sunlight though, but when you shade the target, even temporarily while you make a mark, it does ok.  There are all kinds, cheaper and more expensive but you'll have to read reviews to see what people think of them to see if they are worth it to you.

https://smile.amazon.com/Boebede-Self-Leveling-Horizontal-Vertical-Portable/dp/B07N373YKJ

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 04:38:48 AM »
Well I tried my water tub and float idea, had a good breeze that day, caused the float to gyrate so laser was all over the place.

I had two buildings, 12 pilings each.
So dumped the water and tried setting laser directly on top of the rubbermaid tote (inverted the container) this was not very stable, brite sunny day made the laser hard to see, best method was menu to stationary laser, directing beam to piling using the sparkle stick.
I used a velcro strap to attach the stick to piling. Then direct laser at piling, then used black marker on each piling, found on the north east corner was 4" higher than the northwest corner. The pilings had moved that much.
My final laser base for shooting 18"off the ground was wood blocks, mounted laser onto a steel plate screwd onto a section of 2x10.
Set that in place it stays level even in a breeze, wont move like the tote did after sunlight warmed it, cauzing zeroing issues.
The surveyors tripod the level came with wont squat low enuf to be useable.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 04:45:40 AM »
Do what I did. Go to the lumber store, buy the little tripod with the bubble level built in, then set the little lazer on it and your all set.
I think the whole thing cost under $50.00, and can be used to level about anything. Including single rooms,  or foundations.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Moleman

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 09:04:52 AM »
We used a water tube level to level the deck around our pool when we built it.  Replaced the 25" tube with a 50' tube which was long enough for the 30' pool, but you could easily go longer.  Set the head to where you want level, then mark all of the other pilings. 

https://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Water-Level-Hose-Electronic/dp/B01J24PU3Q/ref=asc_df_B01J24PU3Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309795394990&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12108821256709917532&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017428&hvtargid=pla-570626591983&psc=1

Offline 30calflash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 04:08:26 AM »
 There used to be ends that were for use on a garden hose that would do the same. Visible and more accurate than laser or electronic devices. You had to get all the air bubbles out to have it work correctly though.
Hold still while I overthink this.