Author Topic: YOU CAN HUNT ALMOST ANYTHING ON THE PLANET WITH JUST THESE 4 GUNS  (Read 2316 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/4-guns-can-hunt-animal-world-pics/

Posted by John McAdams

Interested in hunting both small and big game with as few guns as possible?
Are you the type of person who sees guns as nothing more than tools for hunting? What if, instead of spending all your money buying new hunting guns, you could just spend that money on additional hunting time instead? If that's the case, this is the list for you.

I'm not the kind of guy who will ever try to talk you out of buying a new gun. After all, buying a new gun for an upcoming hunt is half the fun for some people.

However, other people don't want to own any more than necessary. Well, if you own just the four hunting guns on this list, you can hunt any animal in the world under virtually any circumstances.

Pretty simple, right?

That's right: with a collection of just four hunting guns, you can ethically take any animal from squirrels to elephants.

Remington Model 870 12-Gauge Shotgun

A good hunting shotgun is an important part of any hunter's firearm collection. In addition to being a great home-defense shotgun, a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun like the Remington Model 870 (or the Mossberg 500 if that's more your cup of tea) with a 3-inch chamber is an excellent choice for hunting, too.

Not only is the Remington Model 870 very reasonably priced and extremely reliable, but it's super versatile. If you purchase a 3-inch model with interchangeable choke tubes, you can use both 2 3/4-inch and 3-inch shells to hunt basically any type of bird: doves, quail, chukars, grouse, pheasants, turkeys, ducks, geese, etc.

The Remington 870 is also a perfect choice for hunting small game, such as rabbits and squirrels. When loaded with buckshot, it's a deadly hunting shotgun for pursuing big game, such as deer and feral hogs at close range.

Finally, you can also easily change out the barrel and install a rifled barrel with better sights. This quick modification turns it into an excellent slug gun capable of hunting big game at slightly longer ranges.

While a shotgun is very powerful and versatile, it does have a couple major shortcomings, chiefly a limited effective range. That brings us to the next two firearms on this list, though.

Ruger 10/22 Rifle

Although there's a little bit of overlap in capabilities between the Ruger 10/22 and a good hunting shotgun, the 10/22 is still a solid addition to any collection of hunting guns and has some important advantages over a shotgun.

First, it has a longer effective range. Second, a .22-caliber rifle is generally smaller and lighter than a shotgun (the same goes for ammo). Third, it's not nearly as loud as a 12-gauge shotgun.

In that same vein, there are also subsonic rounds available for the .22, which is ideal for people who don't want to make too much noise when hunting or shooting. Though it's not silent by any stretch of the imagination, a suppressed .22 rifle shooting subsonic rounds is extremely quiet.

Finally, it's also just a good idea in general to keep some kind of .22-caliber gun in your collection. Though it's not quite as easy or cheap to come by as it used to be, .22 LR ammo is still the least expensive ammo around, so you can buy a bunch of it without breaking the bank. It's also easy to store without taking up much space.

There are a bunch of high-quality, bolt-action, single-shot and semi-auto .22-caliber rifles out there, but the Ruger 10/22 is a particularly good choice. Small, lightweight and very reliable, the semi-automatic 10/22 is great for small game and varmint hunting.

Some hunters might be tempted to substitute a more powerful varmint rifle in a cartridge like .223 Remington, .22-250 Remington, or .204 Ruger in place of the Ruger 10/22. There's not necessarily anything wrong making that switch (it is your gun collection after all), but while those cartridges are more powerful and have a longer effective range than the .22 LR, they're also much more expensive and louder, too.

So, just make sure to weigh all the pros and cons.

Remington Model 700 in .30-06 Springfield

There are plenty of rifles out there that are suitable for deer hunting. However, with a good .30-06 hunting rifle, one can hunt the vast majority of big game in the world. The Remington Model 700 is a perfect choice for a hunter who wants a practical and versatile, yet still reasonably priced hunting rifle. After all there's a reason why the Remington Model 700 is the most popular hunting rifle in the United States: it's accurate, affordable, reliable, and easy to use.

Some hunters are understandably hesitant about purchasing a Remington Model 700 after the recall of some Remington 700 rifles and the announcement the company filed for bankruptcy.

So, it's fine if you don't feel comfortable using a Remington 700. Fortunately, there are lots of other good choices out there for someone who wants a nice .30-06 hunting rifle. In fact, there are so many solid choices, it's actually really tough to label any one of them as "the best .30-06 rifle."

For instance, the Savage 110, the Browning X-Bolt, the Winchester Model 70, and the Ruger Hawkeye (just to name a few) are all very popular hunting rifles with good reputations.

Regardless of the exact .30-06 hunting rifle you choose, it is capable of ethically taking a wide variety of game animals like mule and whitetail deer, pronghorn, black bear, feral hogs, elk, mountain goat, sheep, moose, sheep, zebra, kudu, zebra, eland, red stag and dozens of other species.

Though the exact definition of long range hunting varies from person to person, in the hands of a skilled marksman, a quality .30-06 hunting rifle is also capable of excellent accuracy at long range. Indeed, 300-400-yard shots (perhaps even more) are well within the capabilities of this rifle.

Another advantage of the .30-06 is that there are a wide variety of bullet types and weights available on the market. While most .30-06 bullets are in the 150-180-grain weight range, it is possible to find them as light at 110-grain and as heavy as 220-grain, making it an incredibly versatile big-game hunting rifle.

There are few animals in Africa, Europe, North America, or New Zealand that can't be hunted with a good rifle chambered in .30-06 Springfield.

CZ-550 American Safari Magnum in .375 H&H Magnum

While many hunters will never have a need for anything larger than the .30-06, the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is a must-have for anyone thinking about hunting large or dangerous game and wants a gun they can trust. This cartridge is significantly more powerful than the .30-06, but still has a manageable amount of recoil.

A hunter armed with a .375 H&H is capable of taking down even the biggest, toughest animals in the world like cape buffalo and elephants in Africa or brown bears in Alaska.

However, a .375 H&H bolt-action rifle is useful on many other species of game as well. While the .30-06 Springfield will absolutely work for hunting moose, elk, caribou, red stag or similar-sized animals, the larger .375 H&H has much more stopping power and offers a little more room for error.

However, it is absolutely not "too much gun" for those animals.

In fact, a .375 H&H rifle shooting non-expanding bullets is a very popular choice for hunting the Tiny 10 species of pygmy antelope because it'll ethically take these small and delicate animals, but cause surprisingly little damage to their hides. The same is true for many species of African plains game, like impalas or zebras, when using a controlled-expansion bullet.

If you only could take one hunting rifle to Africa to pursue the widest possible range of game, a bolt-action .375 H&H would be my recommendation.

What do you think about our choices for the four hunting guns you should own in order to hunt the widest possible range of game?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: YOU CAN HUNT ALMOST ANYTHING ON THE PLANET WITH JUST THESE 4 GUNS
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 11:57:20 AM »
Totally Disagree.....Ya need a different Rifle/Caliber, For Mule Deer then different Ones for Black Tail.....Then If Ya wanna go after a White Tail different guns Again....
Then, Ya gotta have Elk Guns...Bear Guns....Hog Guns....

Ya Gotta have Different Rifles for Open Country...ThickCover...

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 01:53:59 PM »
Totally Disagree.....Ya need a different Rifle/Caliber, For Mule Deer then different Ones for Black Tail.....Then If Ya wanna go after a White Tail different guns Again....
Then, Ya gotta have Elk Guns...Bear Guns....Hog Guns....

Ya Gotta have Different Rifles for Open Country...ThickCover...

I agree, if you only need 4 why do I have so many more than that? How can I explain the need for one more to my wife?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
you can live off rice and beans too. but who wants to. that said all 4 are great guns
blue lives matter
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 11:43:54 PM »
We agree in principal and are now haggling over manufacture and caliber. It pretty much boils down to (Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, etc.):

Shotgun
Centerfire Rifle
Rimfire Rifle
What?!?  No "all the rage", published until we're sick of it so they can't say it isn't "mainstream", tricked out, plastic stocked, scope, light, and laser hanging off like a satellite beaming messages home, semi-auto, AR platform?

Did I forgot the premise...hunt ALMOST anything?  I suppose that means furry quadrupeds.

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 04:37:13 AM »
Need to add, self defense rifle or carbine, high capacity.  Then add a few handguns, self defense, hunting, CC. 

Guns are like golf clubs, you need all the options. 
Opelika Portal

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 05:08:33 AM »
Me? Id ditch the 22lr and add a 556. I can load 22 cal cast bullets down around 1200 fps and run the action by hand if i need a 22. Pretty easy to set one up with a red dot for a full power load and flip up opens for the low power load. Truth be told i havent shot a 22lr in over 3 years. Got tired of searching for ammo to keep stocked and the outrageous prices. Truth be told i can load cast 9mm in an ar15 or pistol as cheaply as 22lr most of the time. If you already have a 9mm pistol (and who doesnt) you could buy an ar15 in 9 and use it for about all your small game hunting and self defense. Heck in a pinch it would even take deer sized game. But now im talking survival not a well rounded hunting gun set up. I take it for granted any gun loving 2nd amemendment backing red blooded american has a 9mm pistol or some ccw gun and at least one ar15  for shtf and if for no other reason then to buy one to add to the numbers the liberals fear.
blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 05:28:59 AM »
Most would only need one centerfire on this continent anyway.  I'd bump up to a heavier hitting 30 and good to go.

I like the 9mm AR idea.  What kind of upper do you have and what do you do about mags?
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 08:15:29 AM »
i have a 16 inch cmmg complete gun that takes colt mags and a 4.5 inch palmetto pistol with a brace i built with all there parts that takes glock mags. Both run perfect and the cmmg is scary accurate with cast bullets. Ive shot one in 100 yard groups with it and 1.5 are routine. 
Most would only need one centerfire on this continent anyway.  I'd bump up to a heavier hitting 30 and good to go.

I like the 9mm AR idea.  What kind of upper do you have and what do you do about mags?
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 08:19:41 AM »
dont want to spend alot of money and already have a m&p or glock and then buy one of these  https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/03/30/recover-tactical-20-22-stabilizer-kit-smith-wesson-mp/  there about a 100 bucks ands work great. I have a 9mm full sized M&P in one with a sig red dot. Also have one of those micro roni braces set ups with a glock 22 in it that makes a cool "kind of" 40 carbine. But there alot more expensive. I highly recomend that tac 20 deal. Its amazing how fast you can pound steel with one of them and a red dot. Would make for a great home defense gun with a dot and a flashlight on it. Tell you another option for a very versitile gun. A 300 black out ar pistol. I have an 7 in and a 8.5 in. They are very cheap to shoot with cast bullets and dammed accurate with them and add a couple boxes of 110 barnes x loads and they make a fantastic under 150 yard deer gun or would be a real man stopper at close range. Please dont shoot someone with one though. The liberals would have it on tv tommarow. I killed 5 deer a couple years back with 300 bos in a 16 inch gun and they all were drt kills. Longest one was 200 yards. all with the barnes 110. If a guy could rely on making his own anmmo and didnt need to pick it up  out of a store or off someone else I couldnt amagine better shtf gun then a 8 inch ar in 300 bo. For most of us that dont have anything dangerous in the woods around them it could easily replace the 06 on that list and take care of the small game with cast bullets. Really with it i could ditch the o6 the 22 and even the shotgun to take small game. Killed two turkeys last year with the 8.5 in bo using cast and didnt do much more damage then a 22 would have.
blue lives matter

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 08:54:50 AM »
One can also get a bolt adapter with magazine to shoot 22LR out of AR.
Opelika Portal

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »

I have a CMMG adapter and it works great.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 12:02:20 AM »
anything cmmg sells works great!

blue lives matter

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 04:29:21 AM »
anything cmmg sells works great!

I fired about 300 rounds of auto match out of mine and I had one failure to feed on the first mag. Accuracy seemed ok, haven't tested it on paper yet.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 06:11:09 AM »
I fired about 300 rounds of auto match out of mine and I had one failure to feed on the first mag. Accuracy seemed ok,
Did you notice any leading or crud in the gas port or tube?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2021, 03:11:05 AM »
I fired about 300 rounds of auto match out of mine and I had one failure to feed on the first mag. Accuracy seemed ok,
Did you notice any leading or crud in the gas port or tube?

Never looked.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2021, 04:19:17 AM »
The conversion kits tend to foul up quite a bit and don't run as smoothly as dedicated rifles, because --- well, the rifle was designed for 223/5.56 and converted.  I had a CMMG kit and sold it and bought a M&P-22, actually 2 of them... Sweet little rifles and accurate, I don't think I've had a jam with either of them.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 05:15:38 AM »
had one of the first M&P Ar22s around here. Great gun. I did have one problem with mine though. My grandkids stole it from me!!
The conversion kits tend to foul up quite a bit and don't run as smoothly as dedicated rifles, because --- well, the rifle was designed for 223/5.56 and converted.  I had a CMMG kit and sold it and bought a M&P-22, actually 2 of them... Sweet little rifles and accurate, I don't think I've had a jam with either of them.
blue lives matter

Offline darkgael

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 02:34:22 AM »
Revisiting this thread just now. Reloading your own “stuff” makes for all sorts of possibilities. That .375 H&H can easily replace the .30-06. Load it down with cast bullets and you are good to go.
In terms of guns for hunting, I do not see any reason for a pistol unless it is a .44. Again, the reloading possibilities increase versatility.
I often have played the “what guns would I pack if…..” game in my head…..hunting, limited by restrictive law, extended travel in an RV, etc. There is always a shotgun (and a slug barrel). There is always a .44 pistol. I usually forgo a .22 rifle in favor with a .22 pistol. In fact, for travel, my choices run to pistols more than to rifles….space saving. I include a Thompson Contender with a set of barrels to cover a range of possibilities….i am not bringing a .30-06 rifle; I would take a .30 Herrett with a 14” barrel. A second barrel would be that .22 mentioned earlier.
Those fill up the list for hunting guns. What about “security”? Well, that is a whole ‘nother set of ideas. I already have a shotgun and a .44 pistol. Maybe a carry gun? I include a .22 snubbie just because (S&W 317) and….what? Remember…this is all in my head. I have not taken such a trip, nor do I plan to…..sentiment has me choosing a 1911 or a Browning HP. I usually choose a Glock 36.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 04:26:12 AM »
  Hell, I've been hunting "almost anything" with ONE gun for the last 40 years,

IF, you have hunted in the bush like I have, you wouldn't be hauling numerous bbl. sets and other piles of guns with you!

There's just no room to get them there, then there's the problem of most times having the wrong gun in your hands for what ever you run into, and that's the most important thing of all.

MY choice cures all of those problems...

DM

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2021, 04:31:47 AM »
That is an incredible rifle drilling man! What are the specs on it?  And that is an interesting scope mount, never seen anything like that.

I want one!!!
Buckskin

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2021, 05:06:08 AM »
That is an incredible rifle drilling man! What are the specs on it?  And that is an interesting scope mount, never seen anything like that.

I want one!!!
Have wanted one for years, but never had the money when one was available. Closest I've come are the Savage rifle/shotguns.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »

I want one!!!
  It's a Krieghoff Semper proofed in Oct. of 1935, it weighs 7 pounds...

The rifle bbl. is chambered for 8x57jrs, I've been using 200 NP's loaded to 2,550 fps in it since the 80's when I bought it, it shoots them VERY accurately.  I've used the same bullet/load since then...

Shot bbls. are 16 ga, and I have short sleeves that allows me to shoot 20 ga. 3" if I want, they pattern very good.

The rimfire insert bbls are Krieghoff, they go in/come out very easily, they lock into place and go back to zero.  They can be adjusted to sight in how ever you want them and I have one in 22 LR, the other is 22 Win. Mag...  They are about as accurate as a decent rifle chambered the same.

The scopes are Bausch & Lomb 1x6 and a Zeiss 3x9, both with German Claw mounts, they ALWAYS go back to zero, no many how many times you take them off or snap them back on.

I've shot everything from bull moose and blk. bear, to turkey, small game and many many deer with it, what's not to love??  lol

DM

Offline darkgael

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »
  Hell, I've been hunting "almost anything" with ONE gun for the last 40 years,

IF, you have hunted in the bush like I have, you wouldn't be hauling numerous bbl. sets and other piles of guns with you!

There's just no room to get them there, then there's the problem of most times having the wrong gun in your hands for what ever you run into, and that's the most important thing of all.

MY choice cures all of those problems...

DM

Love that drilling. Maybe someday…..

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2021, 11:58:13 AM »
Yeah, that is a sweet setup.  Love it!
Buckskin

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 02:34:51 AM »
the 8x57 is no joke. I  traded for a used rem classic 700 and kicked myself in the but the minute the guy left. RIght up to the point of load developement. I know about all the load data for it is lame. So i loaded 20 shells using 4350 addding a half a grain with each one using a 150 hornady. Got to the point it was just starting to show primer signs of pressure (nothing worse then some loads i live with daily) I then backed off one full grain and loaded 30 up. Figured it was the first try for accuracy and if nothing else id get it sighted in. Go it sighted in and the first 5 shot group went just under an inch. Said to myself thats it. I aint farting with this grandpa rifle anymore.

Same day i had another 700 in 06 with me. both had 24 inch barrels and that gun to was loaded with my go to 06 (until that day) I had just got a new chrono and for the first time in my life i had one that actually worked reliably. First shot with the 57 wen 3210. I shook my head and said another pos chrono thats reading WAY high. So i shot 4 more and they averaged 3212 with a 10fps swing between high and low. I thought they there consistant and accurate but this chrono is smoking crack.

Then i took the 06 with a top end book load out of the sierra manual using the same 4350. A load that shot moa for me and ive killed many deer with even out past 300 yards. My jaw hit the ground when it was showing 2650fps. I then went home and got a couple guns with loads i had chrono'd over my buddy ohler. They were dead on with the new chrono. I learned a couple things. First the 857 is NO JOKE. Thats 300 mag territory other then a bit crappier bc. I then started farting with the 06 adding a grain at a time watching for pressure and got to the point i couldnt ge anymore in the case. A full 3 grains over the hottest book load i found with absoulutely no pressure signs. At that level i was just over 2900 fps. I would have guessed my book load was doing that. Id about bet i could have switched to a faster powder line 4064 and got a bit more out of the o9 but was happy with 2900.

But the 857 i thought was so lame was a good 300fps faster then the 06 with the same weight of bullet. I found new love for that round. What sucks i now i have to go back to all my load data for my 3 06s and about start over because bottom line is ive seen better then 2650 with 150s in the 308 using book loads. came out of the deal loving that 857 and learning just how LAME book 06 loads are. I wouldnt be afraid to use that 857 with a good bullet on anything short of a brown bear. or in africa against anything not dangerous.  Had to really chukle a few weeks later. Guy game me some foriegn made ball comercial ammo with 170 ball bullets. THat load went 2200 or about the same as a 3030 using a 170 out of the same lenght barrel. Has to be the most underloaded round in the world.

I want one!!!
  It's a Krieghoff Semper proofed in Oct. of 1935, it weighs 7 pounds...

The rifle bbl. is chambered for 8x57jrs, I've been using 200 NP's loaded to 2,550 fps in it since the 80's when I bought it, it shoots them VERY accurately.  I've used the same bullet/load since then...

Shot bbls. are 16 ga, and I have short sleeves that allows me to shoot 20 ga. 3" if I want, they pattern very good.

The rimfire insert bbls are Krieghoff, they go in/come out very easily, they lock into place and go back to zero.  They can be adjusted to sight in how ever you want them and I have one in 22 LR, the other is 22 Win. Mag...  They are about as accurate as a decent rifle chambered the same.

The scopes are Bausch & Lomb 1x6 and a Zeiss 3x9, both with German Claw mounts, they ALWAYS go back to zero, no many how many times you take them off or snap them back on.

I've shot everything from bull moose and blk. bear, to turkey, small game and many many deer with it, what's not to love??  lol

DM
blue lives matter

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »
Guns are like golf clubs.  You don't just use 4 kinds of clubs.  You need a different gun for everything you hunt and for how you use self defense.  By self defense, I mean, at home, summer carry, and winter carry.  Also, sometimes you can hunt various game different ways and during different seasons.  Deer hunting: black powder, shotgun, rifle, or large caliber pistol.  Squirrel, 22lr or shotgun, same with rabbit or even with pistols.  Whatever you want to do at a particular time, or whatever the regulations are.
Opelika Portal

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2021, 04:57:23 AM »
I want one!!!
[/quote]
Have wanted one for years, but never had the money when one was available. Closest I've come are the Savage rifle/shotguns.
[/quote]

Well jene, If you really want a drilling nows a good time to buy one. Lots of nice ones for cheep prices.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2021, 06:56:56 AM »

I want one!!!
[/quote]

Well jene, JF you really want a drilling mows a good time to buy one. Lots of nice ones for cheep prices.
[/quote]
Where? And what do you consider cheap?

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »
We have a pair of the 10/22s and none of the others, but, in a couple of more days there will be, at the gun store, a Remington model 581 with a heavy barrel and Timney trigger that will take everything from deer on down. :)
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye