Author Topic: Turkey sights.  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Xplorer

• Trade Count: (0)
Turkey sights.
« on: March 08, 2004, 04:26:29 AM »
Hi All,
I really miss the H&R forum, and think that it was a big mistake to eliminate it.  I believe that they could have easily justified the expense to add a forum administrator from their marketing budget.  Their forum was what hooked me on their guns, and now I have 2 with a total of 4 barrels.

I have been debating whether to install a low power scope or "tru-glow" type sights on my turkey barrel.  I have decided on the sights.  Any suggestions as to who makes a set of sights which will fit the 12GA H&R turkey barrel?  I am assuming that the rear sight will have to be drilled & tapped, but is there a front sight that will fit the existing bead hole?  Anyway, just looking for advice on which sights to buy, and how to install them.

Thanks.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Turkey sights.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 08:14:46 AM »
:D , Xplorer, welcome aboard, and welcome HOME!!. H&R may have ended thier site but most of us have landed here. Most of the old info is here and ALL of the expertise of the members is here also. Try this place a while, most of us feel it is even better than the old H&R site, less devisive and fewer rabble rousers (read that, "trolls")....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Turkey sights.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 09:33:19 AM »
i like my bushnell holosight on my turkey gun :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  but if i was going to go for open sights on a turkey gun hmmm..................... well i love the tracker2 my son has, that has a williams peep added, and the factory rear sight removed. i guess i would go for a williams peep on the rear, yes a drill and tap job. but for the front sight, i would call H&R and try to buy the front sight they solder onto the front of the tracker2 barrels, then have it soldered on, i say this because the barrel is TOO THIN at the end to mount a regular blade type sight. so unless you can find what you want for a front sight that will fit in just a small hole for a bead type front sight. or i could never find a front blade type that i could put on a H&R shotgun barrel. but either way the williams peep is the best rear sight you will find for one, or it is in my mind.  they dont really make a "turkey" sight other then fiberoptic beads for a non vent rib barrels. but  if they make one i have not found, please post about it, i would love to find one to try.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Turkey sights.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 12:43:30 PM »
Another option would be to wait until the vent rib barrel is available through the barrel accesory program and get some of the sights that mount on the rib. The ones from williams looks nice. I think tru-glo and hi-viz make some as well. The problem with this is that the barrel is not available yet and the last I heard it won't be in time for this years turkey season.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Xplorer

Turkey sights.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 02:39:27 AM »
Markus,
You are correct about the vent-rib barrel.  I spoke to customer service a couple of times about it, and they did not expect to have any for quite a while.  So, I ordered the 24" turkey barrel.

I really like the Hi-Viz type or Tru-glow type sights, but I can't  find any that come with a ramp, which could be attached to the barell (drill & tap), I have a guy who will do this for me if I provide the sights.  I seem to remember on the H&R forum, that someone had found a way to mount these types of sights ... too bad that all the former members seem to be scattered around.

Also, how about the plastic sights.  I have a Thompson Thunderhawk which has plastic rifle sights, which seem to fit the contour of the H&R turkey barrel.  There may be a way to just bond plastic sights, as there is very little mass.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Turkey sights.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 04:20:31 PM »
I believe it was a guy named Delhunter that JBwelded the sights from a huntsman to his pardner that you are thinking of.I PMed him about this board but haven't seen him here yet. The williams catalog has about the nicest looking sights I've seen to mount on a rib. They are fully adjustable, item 70230 in the catalog I have $39.95. I plan on putting a set on the new topper deluuxe classic when I eventually find one. www.wiliamsgunsight.com
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Xplorer

Turkey sights.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 02:53:29 AM »
Well after much searching on the Web, I decided to order the Tru-Glow Illuminator sight set.  I happened to be at Dick's yesterday, and they had one in stock so I bought it ($29.99).  It consists of an aluminum Williams rear base, with a plastic insert (double dot).  The front sight is a plastic ramp and single dot insert.  The contour of the sights very closely matches that of the barrel.  I decided that as they are so light in weight, that I would try to bond them on the barrel.  I used a dremel tool to "roughen up" the I.D. of the sights, and also the barrel area where it will be mated to (the idea is to greatly increase the bonding surface area by creating a rough surface).  I bored a small hole in the front sight so it will fit right over the bead.  I squared the barrel in a vise, and located the rear sight position.  I cleaned the surfaces with acetone, and then used a 2-part epoxy epoxy so secure the sights to the barrel, clamped them in place, and left it to cure overnight.   Today, I am post-curing it at ~60C (here at work in an oven).

I plan on testing it out this weekend, so I will keep you posted as to how successful I am.

Offline H&R BANG

• GBO Supporter
Turkey sights.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 03:00:10 PM »
I glued Huntsman sights on my 24" turkey barrel with silicone caulk. The caulk is flexible and possible to remove. I am not sure you could ever get JB Welded sights off. Other round barrel muzzleloader sights would work as the fit is not critical.

Offline Xplorer

Turkey sights.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 04:18:46 AM »
I was able to test the new sights yesterday, they withstood 8 shots using Remington 3", 2oz copper plated shot without a problem.  

Now, I am looking for a better turkey choke than the one H&R supplies with their barrels, as I am not fully satisfied with the groups I am getting.  

I only shot at 25yards so far, and have probably 80% of the pellets on an 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper.  I will continue to work with it, but am looking for suggestions on a tighter choke.

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
Turkey sights.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 04:34:42 AM »
Xplorer,

Take a look at the Hastings and http://colonialarms.com/ ... WNY has had good success with the hastings turkey choke in his NEF ten gauge and I've had the same with CA's extended Turkey in my NEF 20 ga. ... You'll probably want something with about a .655 to .650 constriction for your 12ga unless your gonna shoot Hevi shot then you'll need something around a .675...CA's got them all shapes and sizes and reasonable $ by most Turkey choke standards.... MTNMAN
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline Xplorer

Turkey sights.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 10:28:12 AM »
Hey MTNMAN,
Good to find you and some of the other frequent posters from the H&R forum.

I measured the standard H&R turkey choke, and it is ~ 0.680" in diameter, so that explains why my pattern is not tight enough (I haven't tried hevishot, because I have probably at least 60 Remington 3", 2oz #5's copper plated).  I will look into the chokes you suggest.  Thanks.

I really like the tru-glow rifle type sights ... plenty accurate enough for up to 40 yards.