Author Topic: Hodgen closes Goex facillity  (Read 2220 times)

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
Hodgen closes Goex facillity
« on: September 28, 2021, 01:52:03 AM »
https://namlhunt.com/goex-to-close.html

Press Release
September 27, 2021

Hodgdon® Announces Closure of GOEX Facility

Effective immediately, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has made the decision to cease manufacturing operations at the company’s Camp Minden, Louisiana site while evaluating strategic options for the black powder business.

The business will wind down operations while an evaluation process on the future of the black powder business takes place. Strategic options for the GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, along with the manufacturing capabilities, will include a potential sale of the business. All affected employees will be retained through December 31, 2021 to assist in an orderly closing of the site and receive
severance commensurate with their years of service to the company.

The Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc has been honored to have been a part of the GOEX Powder legacy and sustains a fond appreciation for sporting customers who have enjoyed shooting GOEX powders.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Hodgen closes Goex facillity
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 05:42:22 AM »
Wonderful,,, not like it's hard enough to find black powder now.  Might have to start making my own.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline DDZ

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 01:06:39 PM »
Yes now it will be even harder to get, and more expensive also.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 06:58:53 AM »
I just checked, I'm down to about 2lbs and change of ff.  Does anyone know of a place that has any in stock that I can get online?
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »
I just checked, I'm down to about 2lbs and change of ff.  Does anyone know of a place that has any in stock that I can get online?
I didn't think sellers would ship real black to your house.
But I think you can get substitutes sent there.

But I have been wrong before. :)
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
They will ship up to 50 pounds to your door, if you can find it. Powdervalley or Powderinc. had a few pounds the other day. Pricey and no 2F.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 02:33:53 PM »
I didn't think sellers would ship real black to your house.
But I think you can get substitutes sent there.

But I have been wrong before. :)

It's the only way I can get it these days, nobody in my area carries it anymore due to the ridiculous restrictions associated with it.   You of course have to pay the haz fee...

Looks like I am going to have to start looking daily until I find some.
Buckskin

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »
Good luck to y'all.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 04:16:24 PM »
IMO  buy as much as you can afford
if you find any
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 11:46:54 AM »
I found some swiss in 1 and 1.5F. I've never shot it so I don't know how 1.5 compares to 2F. I'm set pretty good on 3F for my .32 and 1F and cannon for my cannons and mortars but my larger rifles will be hungry soon.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 01:45:39 AM »
I saw that 1.5, probably should have bought some for a last resort.
Buckskin

Offline Old and grumpy

• ADD 1200 POSTS FROM OLD GBO
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 02:23:10 AM »
You can always do what the army would do when they got cannon grade but no musket ,pistol, or primer grade.  Put a small amount of powder on a paper (the page of a book-most had a Bible ) and use the ram rod or wood stick as a rolling pin to crush it. Flint shooters can do this to get better primer powder.  Just think it through first. Small amount. Close the can. Check for static.  If you have a old Bible with a black page this is why.
Proudly Deplorable-Proudly not Deportable

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 11:15:44 AM »
I just got an email that Graf's has 2F Olde Eynsford back in stock, I got 10 lbs... A little pricey with shipping and haz fee but now I know I will be able to shoot my flinters without worry of running out for a while, at least once it's on my doorstep!  Never know for sure if it will make it here...
Buckskin

Offline Casull

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 11:55:01 AM »
Don't know about the rest of you fellows, but I always preferred using 3Fg in my .50 Hawkens.  Seemed to burn cleaner and was a bit more powerful (90 grain max).
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 12:41:44 PM »
You can always do what the army would do when they got cannon grade but no musket ,pistol, or primer grade.  Put a small amount of powder on a paper (the page of a book-most had a Bible ) and use the ram rod or wood stick as a rolling pin to crush it. Flint shooters can do this to get better primer powder.  Just think it through first. Small amount. Close the can. Check for static.  If you have a old Bible with a black page this is why.

I carry ( and sometimes actually use) a nipple
primer that I take about a half a teaspoon of
FF or FFF and put in a ceramic bowl and
carefully grind it with the back of a spoon
to make a small amount of FFFF
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2021, 01:03:38 PM »
Don't know about the rest of you fellows, but I always preferred using 3Fg in my .50 Hawkens.  Seemed to burn cleaner and was a bit more powerful (90 grain max).

Thanks for reminding me, I use 3F for my 40 cal.  so I added 3 lbs of that as well.  I have a 54 and a very sweet load of 2F for it. I'm set for a while if everything rolls through...
Buckskin

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »
I just got an email that Graf's has 2F Olde Eynsford back in stock, I got 10 lbs... A little pricey with shipping and haz fee but now I know I will be able to shoot my flinters without worry of running out for a while, at least once it's on my doorstep!  Never know for sure if it will make it here...
It went quick. I missed it.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 02:49:45 PM »
Luckily,  I have a decent personal
supply that will suffice for a decent
period of time since I only have
rifles and a couple of pistols
My sincere sympathies for the
cannon aficionados
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 12:34:42 PM »
Just got confirmation that the powder has shipped so I'm good to go for a while. I generally would not buy that amount of powder, but with the uncertainty of Goex and the state of our union I needed some comfort knowing I'd be set for a while.  Seeing $125 for a 525 rounds of 22lr the other day did not help my confidence...

I am still on Graf's email when in stock list, so I will post when I see it available again.
Buckskin

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 07:05:17 AM »
Finally got my 3F, was worried for a while there, every day since Thursday they said it was out for delivery and today it finally showed up.  I have not seen anything in stock since I ordered.  I am still on the list, just to give others here a heads up if it goes in stock again.
Buckskin

Offline DDZ

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2022, 04:58:11 AM »
Have been looking at black powder online suppliers, which now will be selling Swiss black powder. All are out of stock. I did find 1F and reenactment powder but they are to course for my 50 cal.  I have read there are rumors of a couple of potential buyers for the Goex plant, but nothing for sure, and at that it would take awhile for production to get under way. the Company in Switzerland has noted they they will try to increase production to supply America now that no black powder is made here anymore.  They have a small mill and it would take some time for their production to expand.   Our best hope is that someone buys the Goex plant and starts production again. That is if government doesn't regulate them out of business. Which is I suspect part of the reason the plant closed in the first place.

There is also a company in Germany that makes black powder. Its Schuetzen. I don't know much about them, but its unavailable also. 

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 12:28:43 PM »
It's my understanding that the manufacturing
facility has been sold and is supposed to re-open
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline trapper9260

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2022, 01:15:43 AM »
It's my understanding that the manufacturing
facility has been sold and is supposed to re-open

I had read the same thing also some place , I found the link about it  . here it is    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/estes-energetics-to-extend-the-goex-black-powder-production-legacy-301470912.html

Offline clumsum

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 12:47:41 PM »
Talked to a rep from Estes last week and He said that Goex should back in the 3rd quarter this year. They had to rebuild the whole plant as every thing was wore out. Cross your fingers and click your heels togather.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2023, 03:43:26 PM »
Here's hoping
Be happy to see some decent
black powder for sale again in
this area
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .