Author Topic: BEAR HUNTING RIFLE: CALIBERS AND MODELS TO CONSIDER  (Read 1644 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
BEAR HUNTING RIFLE: CALIBERS AND MODELS TO CONSIDER
« on: October 02, 2021, 05:00:14 AM »
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/bear-hunting-rifle

Posted by David Maccar

These are some classic hunting rifle pairings for black and brown bears
Bear hunters have similar needs to most big game hunters, to take down their quarry with a single shot. To do this, they need a reliable rifle and a cartridge that will pack enough power to do what needs to be done.

For a close range defensive bear gun, handguns in big magnum calibers work great, but for a bear hunt, these rifles and ammo combinations make for solid bear rifles and dangerous game animal guns.

Black Bears

Black bears run pretty small for bears and are relatively easy to kill. That being said, with black bear hunting, you still do not want to deal with a wounded bear. They clock in at about 250 pounds and shots are usually taken close. In most circumstances and locations, a deer rifle with deer-hunting ammunition makes a pretty solid bruin hunting rifle. But, black bears are still bears, so it doesn't hurt to err a bit on the overpowered side when making an ammunition choice. Shot placement is also key, especially when shooting out of a treestand. Make sure to study up on bear vitals before venturing into bear country.

Henry X Model in .30-30 Winchester

Henry

If hunting black bears with hounds, the classic .30-30 Win is hard to beat, and a Henry All Weather rifle is fairly easy to carry on a tough, long trail. The gun is exceptionally rugged for this kind of thing. You can stick with the open buckhorn sights, since shot distances will be short, or you can upgrade to a different set of fixed sights or even a rail and a red-dot. Select ammunition with a bullet that expands quickly.

Henry All Weather Side Gate in .44 Remington Magnum

Henry

This classic and powerful revolver cartridge is taken to a new level when run through a carbine. The rifles that fire them, like the X Model or the Henry All Weather, are compact and light, but a solid .44 Magnum load with a tough bullet will drop a black bear right quick. Additionally, a bear defense revolver can be carried in the same hard-hitting caliber so you only have to haul one type of ammo.

Ruger American Range Rifle in .450 Bushmaster

Ruger

This hard hitting straight-walled cartridges makes a fantastic bear gun inside 150 yards, so it's great for hunting black bears over bait. If you live in a straight-wall cartridge state like Michigan, you can also use it as a fantastic deer hunting gun. In the Ruger American bolt action rifle, the whole package weighs in at just 5.5 pounds without an optic, making it a pleasure to carry into the woods. In .450 BM, the rifle has a 3+1 capacity and the cold hammer-forged and threaded barrel offers supreme accuracy in a compact brush gun.

Springfield Armory SAINT Victor AR-10 - .308 Winchester

Springfield Armory

It's undeniable that the ever versatile .308 Win is the best all-around black bear cartridge, just as it is for most quarry in North American. Rifles chambered for .308 are still compact and there are plenty of AR-10s out there for fans of semi-autos. In normal times, ammunition is widely available and its ballistics are about the same as the .30-06. Expect muzzle velocities of 2,400 to 3,000 fps. The nice thing about .308 over .30-06 is the reduced recoil.  Paired with the affordable, lightweight, and endlessly customizable Springfield SAINT AR-10 rifle, it's a perfect bruin killing combination.

Brown Bear Guns

When you start talking about brown bears and grizzly bears, you have to ratchet things up a notch. Especially when talking about the bears of Alaska, some of the largest in North America. These are dangerous animals, and for reliable kills, you need a powerful cartridge and a dependable rifle.

Generally what you're looking for in a brown bear cartridge is something powerful and launches something close to a 250-grain bullet. The .35 Whelen, .375 H&H, .338 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag, .416 Rigby, .416 Remington Magnum, 458 Winchester Magnum, and .458 Lott are all popular brown-bear chamberings. When it comes to bullets, you want a premium softpoint like the Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, Barnes TSX, Hornady DGX Bonded, or the Federal Trophy Bonded.

Though some hunters don't like the idea of lever guns or the old school cartridge, a lever-action rifle in .45-70 Government makes a sound brown bear gun that's compact and easy to use.

Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger

Ruger

Ruger's rifles are known for their reliability and dependability, and the company's controlled-feed Hawkeye Alaskan bolt gun in the powerful .375 Ruger is just about a perfect brown bear hunting rifle. The chambering packs a lot of power into a standard-length action, keeping the rifle fairly compact and light. The Alaskan comes with iron express sights on board, which is essential for any bear gun.

Winchester Model 70 Alaskan in .375 H&H

Winchester

When it comes to bolt guns, it's harder to find a gun with a better reputation than the Winchester Model 70. The Alaskan model comes chambered in hard-hitting calibers, including the .30-06, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, and .375 H&H Magnum.

The controlled-feed action won't bind up when it counts, and the beastly .375 H&H will put down a big bear quick. The .338 Winchester Magnum is also a very popular brown bear cartridge choice for large bruins, especially among Alaskan guides.

This model comes with open sights and a black walnut stock, making for a handsome hunting rifle.

Marlin 1895 in .450 Marlin

There's nothing like a classic Marlin lever gun. The .450 Marlin is an exception cartridge for close shots inside 100 yards, just as the older .45-70 Government is. Many brown bear hunters have relied on both cartridges and the 1895 for dependability and speed. Plus, the rifles is easy to carry and comfortable to use, as well as being a fast repeater.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: BEAR HUNTING RIFLE: CALIBERS AND MODELS TO CONSIDER
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 11:38:05 PM »
Ive shot quite a few black bear. NO browns or grizzlys so i dont have a clue about that. Ive shot black bear with everything from a 22lf to a 338. For the most part black bear are not hard to kill. Matter of fact id say when bow hunted hit well they tend to not go as far as a deer will. Bear arent usually shot at long range. At least around here. Ive never shot one further then a 100 yards and most under 50. Shot probably half the bear ive shot with handguns. If i had to pick a proper gun id say with handguns a 41 mag would be the smallest although lots of treed bear around here get shot with 357s. A 44 mag would probably be my recommendation. For this area an ideal rifle would probably be a lever gun in anything from 44 mag to 4570 and the 3030 would probably be choice one.
blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 04:20:45 AM »
I've shot 3 black bears and all have been archery, all about 20 yards or so. First was the biggest, right around 400lbs, then a 350 and the last was 250.  They all were hit in lungs and ran 30-70 yards.  Any deer rifle/slug gun will do the job.

I should pull a tag in 2022 and am planning on using my 54 cal flintlock this time, that should be fun.  In Wisconsin you either hunt over bait or dogs, we always do bait - but if I don't get one first week I will find some dogs to fill the tag.  It's about a 10 year wait for a tag here, so gotta fill it!  I've heard running bear dogs is a hoot, so I'd kinda like to give that a whirl.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline locust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 05:10:01 AM »
i was recently talking to a guy that took a nice bear with a air rifle

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 07:00:22 AM »
  I tend to think the choices shown for black bear, are ideal guns for that use, great choices   I would however
   hedge a bit with the Ruger American in 450 bushmaster.

I have a rifle just like the Ruger which is shown, and tend to think it would be good for larger game than black bears.

That being said, if I knew I were going to be confronted  by an irate brown or grizzly..judging by my nephew's experience and Alaska game wardens, I might opt for a 12 ga slug gun, loaded with something like Brenneke "Black Magic" slugs.
       https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/brenneke-black-magic-magnum-slugs-123bmm-gauge-1500-fps-rdbx-for-rifled-and-smoothbore-barrels-p-91133.html
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 09:19:37 AM »
I like my 45-70 but my 35 remington would be my second choice. Bear woods is up close and personal around here.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline ShirleyCPhillips

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 08:35:13 PM »
I really like my .44 Remington Magnum. Its one of the best option.

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 03:39:09 AM »
Full disclosure; Never hunted bear.  But it sounds like theater here, make a statement like this and then start with a 30/30?
But, black bears are still bears, so it doesn't hurt to err a bit on the overpowered side when making an ammunition choice. Shot placement is also key, especially when shooting out of a treestand. Make sure to study up on bear vitals before venturing into bear country.

No doubt a 30/30 or a 44 will take a bear, been done many times, but what makes a 30/30 or a 44 an overpowered choice?  Didn't even mention the 270 or 30-06, a much better "overpowered" choice IMO.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »
I've always read that bear have more fat and muscle in late summer and early fall and this fat can seal a hole and not allow it to bleed out or to be able to follow a blood trail on a wounded bear.  That is why a lot of people say a bigger hole from a larger caliber is better for bear.  In some areas of the country a black bear can get as large as a brown bear if they are well fed.  I would want something that makes a big hole and with enough power to blast through the bear and bleed on both sides.   It also depends on range. 

I would prefer my 35 Whelen. 
Opelika Portal

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 11:31:41 PM »
most likely because for most of us bear hunting isnt a 300 yard proposition. Most bear hunting up here is under a 100 yards and most of it under 50. So a flat shooting bolt gun which would work fine isnt really needed. Ive shot quite a few and out of them only one with a bolt gun. That one was a 77 in 338. Some use them. My brother in law uses his beloved pump rem 06 on bear and all the big game he shoots. For me its just an opportunity to use the lever guns. Honestly ive probably shot 75 percent of the bears ive shot with a handgun. For over 20 years other then crop damage shooting out in the farm feilds all i used to hunt were handguns. Now my eyes are getting old and it got to the point a scope just works better and ive shot enough with handguns that there isnt that thrill to it there once was. But that said my most used bear gun was my 4 5/8s ruger 44 mag. That gun has put lots of deer bear and pigs in the freezer and even one bison.
Full disclosure; Never hunted bear.  But it sounds like theater here, make a statement like this and then start with a 30/30?
But, black bears are still bears, so it doesn't hurt to err a bit on the overpowered side when making an ammunition choice. Shot placement is also key, especially when shooting out of a treestand. Make sure to study up on bear vitals before venturing into bear country.

No doubt a 30/30 or a 44 will take a bear, been done many times, but what makes a 30/30 or a 44 an overpowered choice?  Didn't even mention the 270 or 30-06, a much better "overpowered" choice IMO.
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 11:33:45 PM »
yup it makes calibers like 243s not so desirable. But for the most part something like an 06 will usually give as good of a blood trail as anything jacketed. I prefered hard cast bullets on bear. About always gave two holes to leak out of.
I've always read that bear have more fat and muscle in late summer and early fall and this fat can seal a hole and not allow it to bleed out or to be able to follow a blood trail on a wounded bear.  That is why a lot of people say a bigger hole from a larger caliber is better for bear.  In some areas of the country a black bear can get as large as a brown bear if they are well fed.  I would want something that makes a big hole and with enough power to blast through the bear and bleed on both sides.   It also depends on range. 

I would prefer my 35 Whelen.
blue lives matter

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 02:56:43 AM »
Well I was gonna take my Ruger 10/22 and go bear hunting until I saw that bear at the top of Bill's post. :)
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 03:18:56 AM »
Well I was gonna take my Ruger 10/22 and go bear hunting until I saw that bear at the top of Bill's post. :)

It would work if he's below your tree... I don't know what the big bears were this year in Wisconsin, but there are always several 500 lbers and usually a couple 6-700 lbers.  Last year an 11 year old girl shot a +700.
I think the biggest in WI was just over 800.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/wisconsin-girl-11-black-bear-record-potential

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Dee

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 03:24:14 AM »
I use a willow switch. ;D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 06:45:25 AM »
They've moved in parts of east Texas
from Arkansas and Louisiana now.
Hopefully they'll stay away
The neighbor has one on his cameras
and it dug a big hole close to his house
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 02:57:34 PM »
In Alaska most of the natives kill bears with a mini 14 or a AR 15. If their in the guard they get plenty of ball ammo too.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 04:01:48 PM »

It would work if he's below your tree... I don't know what the big bears were this year in Wisconsin, but there are always several 500 lbers and usually a couple 6-700 lbers.  Last year an 11 year old girl shot a +700.
I think the biggest in WI was just over 800.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/wisconsin-girl-11-black-bear-record-potential
Wow, that's getting into grizzly bear weights.
I'll stay where I'm at. :)
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 12:09:08 PM »
I haven't heard what's the big one so far this year but there's a 465 pounder in the paper. Killed early on. I sure thats been beat.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »
Ive shot quite a few black bear. NO browns or grizzlys so i dont have a clue about that. Ive shot black bear with everything from a 22lf to a 338. For the most part black bear are not hard to kill. Matter of fact id say when bow hunted hit well they tend to not go as far as a deer will. Bear arent usually shot at long range. At least around here. Ive never shot one further then a 100 yards and most under 50. Shot probably half the bear ive shot with handguns. If i had to pick a proper gun id say with handguns a 41 mag would be the smallest although lots of treed bear around here get shot with 357s. A 44 mag would probably be my recommendation. For this area an ideal rifle would probably be a lever gun in anything from 44 mag to 4570 and the 3030 would probably be choice one.

I wouldn't feel under gunned hunting Bear with a 3006 and some.Federal Premium 200 GR Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammo, or another good 200 GR ammo. For SD, I would rather have a 12 ga slug, or 4570 hard cast flat meplat bullet. However I hear some Bear guides in AK carry the 06. Since I have never been to Alaska, and will never go, and not in Grizzly bear country, I can get by with a 1022 for woods defense.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 10:16:13 AM »

I wouldn't feel under gunned hunting Bear with a 3006 and some.Federal Premium 200 GR Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammo, or another good 200 GR ammo. For SD, I would rather have a 12 ga slug, or 4570 hard cast flat meplat bullet. However I hear some Bear guides in AK carry the 06. Since I have never been to Alaska, and will never go, and not in Grizzly bear country, I can get by with a 1022 for woods defense.
Yeah. Them squirrel are mighty fierce...

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 10:43:32 AM »
In Alaska most of the natives kill bears with a mini 14 or a AR 15. If their in the guard they get plenty of ball ammo too.

I helped take a 8-1/2' bear on the Alaskan Peninsula years ago. My companion had a 7mm Mag. Every shot knocked the bear over. Finally I shot it with a 30-40 Krag. When we skinned it, we found his bullets blew up in the fat, but never penetrated or hurt the bear. The 220 gr Silvertip entered behind the left shoulder and ended under the right arm pit and killed the bear. The point is that you need to use bullets that will penetrate. The 7mm Mag had bullets for thin skinned game. Plenty of power, just no penetration. The Silver tip was designed for penetration.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 11:27:04 AM »
Saw one a couple of days ago
I know they're graded by "feet" and
I don't have any experience at that.
Judging by feral hogs, it'd be about a
300 pounder. Illegal to shoot though
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 12:13:13 PM »
  Bears really are no problem at all, I'm always amazed that people are so scared of them!

I'd MUCH rather have a bear living under my house, than a wolf living in my back woods!!

DM

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2021, 12:03:07 PM »
Not really skeerd of the bars,
more worried about the damage they
can do to property and structures
and vehicles and such. I have
adequate firearms to deal with one
if need be. Since it's very illegal
to kill one in the state, it'd be a last
ditch thing
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2021, 05:33:55 PM »
Saw one a couple of days ago
I know they're graded by "feet" and
I don't have any experience at that.
Judging by feral hogs, it'd be about a
300 pounder. Illegal to shoot though

When I was in Alaska, I was told to figure about 100 lb/foot, so that would have been an 850 lb Alaskan Brown Bear. We weighted the head and coat after it was skinned and it weighted 125 lb. That is the only factual numbers I have.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2021, 07:19:01 AM »
Every year there are some big bears taken in Pa. I think the biggest was 875 pounds. Although I wonder if some of those in the 600 plus range hadn't been fed donuts and ice cream by local residents. Which was the case of the 875 pounder shot with a crossbow. A guy had been feeding the bear for a few years, and had even petted it.
The rifle list includes a 375 H&H, a 375 Ruger, a .450 Bushmaster, but not a 45/70. I think a 45/70 is every bit as good of a bear rifle if not better than any of those listed.  I have a encore with a 45/70 Katahdin barrel, and its the easiest carrying rifle I ever carried.  Its also plenty accurate. I had taken a buck with it once at 175 yards. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2021, 07:31:49 AM »
I wouldn't be skeerd with a 45/70 in hand.
It gets bashed a lot in the magazines.
I can remember reading where one guy
wrote that the 45/70 was a hundred yard
gun etc. etc.
They also disparage the 30/30 as a weak
gun . I don't own a 45/70, but have shot a
CVA and a Marlin and an original trapdoor.
I'd hate to be downrange from any of them.
Used to be lots of buffalo skeletons on the
plains because of 45/70's
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2021, 10:05:09 AM »

Yeah. Them squirrel are mighty fierce...

LOL! Not many squirrels left in southern Oregon, but we do have a few Black Bears and cougar. killed a bear back in the early 70's with a 303. Back when you could still hunt Bears with dogs here, a friend of mine killed many with a 22 LR. They were treed mostly, and he could pick a shot. Government Trapper here locally only uses a 22 LR or 22 Mag. for Cougar. Blacks have a tendency to run away when wounded. I hear Grizzlies don't.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2021, 03:19:27 PM »
Blacks have a tendency to run away when wounded. I hear Grizzlies don't.
  Most times they do, but there's always the chance of that one that doesn't.

DM

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2021, 04:26:03 PM »

LOL! Not many squirrels left in southern Oregon, but we do have a few Black Bears and cougar. killed a bear back in the early 70's with a 303. Back when you could still hunt Bears with dogs here, a friend of mine killed many with a 22 LR. They were treed mostly, and he could pick a shot. Government Trapper here locally only uses a 22 LR or 22 Mag. for Cougar. Blacks have a tendency to run away when wounded. I hear Grizzlies don't.
Back in 63 my brother and I were bear hunting in southern Oregon and LUCKILY we didn’t see any :), but we were lucky enough to meet an old bear hunter who had a shack beside the road and a pack of bear hounds tied out back.
He let us come back the next day just to listen to his stories.
We brought him some bacon and beans and a big sack of dog food.
It was an education.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye