Author Topic: HUNTER SHOOTS ELK FROM 875 YARDS WITH .308  (Read 1394 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
HUNTER SHOOTS ELK FROM 875 YARDS WITH .308
« on: October 02, 2021, 05:03:25 AM »
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/what-do-you-think-of-this-875-yard-elk-kill-with-a-308-winchester/

Posted by John McAdams

Would you have taken this kind of shot on a cow elk?

On the second day of their hunt, these guys noticed a herd of elk feeding on a hillside two canyons away. After observing the herd for a little bit, the hunter selected a yearling cow out of the herd to shoot.

He passed on the larger cows because he knew they would have a heck of a hike to get the meat out of the woods afterwards. In any case, they settled in and he squeezed off his shot, which resulted in an 875-yard elk kill.

Check out the video and see what you think of the whole deal.

You can skip ahead to about the 3:00 mark to see them when they first get into elk.

First off, congratulations to the hunter for making such a nice shot. Taking a shot at that range is far beyond my skill as a shooter, so I have the utmost respect for his shooting abilities.

The hunter was using a custom Remington Model 700 chambered in .308 Winchester using 168-grain Berger VLD bullets, which is a great combination for long range shooting. The rifle was topped with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm scope. He was also using a Leupold Rx-1000i Rangefinder, which is one of the best rangefinders out there. Clearly, he was using top-notch equipment, and he really looked like he knew what he was doing.

While the elk immediately dropped at the shot, that sort of reaction from the animal indicates a hit to the brain or spine. If you look closely, it looks like his shot hits really high on the elk's shoulder, likely hitting the top of the lungs and the spine. Something tells me that's not where he was aiming.

What do you think? Would you have taken that shot if you had been in his shoes?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
Re: HUNTER SHOOTS ELK FROM 875 YARDS WITH .308
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 05:04:05 AM »
My answer, NO I would not have taken such a long shot.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 05:30:06 AM »
I've never agreed with that kinda "shooting for sport". A bad hit might be assumed a miss at that range, and the animal suffers .

If one is shooting at an enemy at that  range, any hit is a good hit.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 07:35:38 AM »
I've never agreed with that kinda "shooting for sport". A bad hit might be assumed a miss at that range, and the animal suffers .

If one is shooting at an enemy at that  range, any hit is a good hit.

I'm with Dan on this, on both points.

I was sharing on another forum I shot a doe early last Sunday morning, about 20yds maybe, with a 200# crossbow flinging a 450gr arrow at about 390FPS. Between release and impact, the doe moved forward enough to turn a high lung right behind the shoulder shot, into a low lung shot. Still double lung, and she piled up fast. But not the shot I was aiming for. Short distance, fast arrow, still enough time for the animal to move. Using a very basic ballistic guesstimator off the internet, I reckon that 308 took over a second to travel that 875 to get to that animal - alot can happen in that time, and turn an ethical kill into a mess.
held fast

Offline Dee

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 07:41:50 AM »
If your using a rifle at say 50 yards and your taking up the slack in your trigger finger, a deer can take about 2 steps before you can react to something that simple.

These "super-duper" rifle calibers have their shooters convinced their hunting.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 08:33:56 AM »
Some of these newer people
out in the bush during hunting
season worry me
Sort of reminds me of the old
movie most dangerous game
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Mule 11

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 01:22:19 PM »
I took a trotting buck at 35 yards with a crossbow. I was mentally prepared for the shot with lead and follow through. I released the arrow with confidence. What I did not take into account was the buck stepping into a low spot as my arrow hit resulting in a very high shot. The broad head severed the artery running along the bottom of the spine resulting in a quick bleed out. Sheer luck...

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 11:08:40 PM »
condemn him? No Would i do it NO. But ive been chastised for shooting deer at 500 which is my limit because thats the furthest i can practice. Bottom line is thats the territory of a trained sniper not a field hunter. Things iike wind speed, direction, temp even humidity come into play.  What i have more of a problem with is his choice of the 308. As a sniiper a hit with a 308 will kill or slow down a man. If he lingers in death so be it. But its about like shooting an elk at a 100 yards with a 30 carbine. Not very ethical if you ask me. Now if he would have done it with a 300 ultra mag or a 340 wby 338 lapua or something similar and was good enough like he obviously was who am i to criticize. but what you cant do is use your own skill level to judge someone else.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 12:53:00 AM »
  I learned to love the .308, when I left the 30/06 (M1 Garand) and was issued the M14.

Our range then was out to 550 meters..slightly over 600 yards*.  Iron sights only..still managed to fire expert . The accuracy of the round impressed me right off !

That was as a young soldier...doubt very much that I could do it today... ;)  ;D

*  Fired on KD range.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline locust

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 05:18:40 AM »
perhaps it comes down to ,do you trust your gun ??

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 06:04:32 AM »
   NO ,I wouldnt risk  wounding a fine animal to possibly  end up buzzard bait .

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »
There's places I've hunted at
years back that more than a few
people deer hunting wouldn't even
go look at the spot where the deer
was standing if it didn't just
topple over on the spot. Lots of times
it'd be laying 10 yards away under a
small mesquite tree or a bush
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 03:10:56 AM »
Can and should are different things. So are hunting and shooting. I hunt half the distance or less than what I can shoot accurately. I’m not starving and I don’t collect racks or hides. I used to want to sheep hunt, sounded exciting - hard hunting, skilled shooting, and I’ve great respect for those that do. But shooting a fat tasty doe at 20yds with a bow from a tree had my heart pumping just fine. I’m okay leaving the long shots on the range.
held fast

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 03:38:35 AM »
Do you use a ladder stand or climber TN?

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 05:48:01 AM »
Do you use a ladder stand or climber TN?

Mostly climber, summit. But the doe I just got was on private land and they had a designated ladder stand.
held fast

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 07:00:06 AM »
I also use a summit aluminum climber... The only thing I don’t like about them is when it is really cold they creak. Since having children I started using a tree spider harness. Can’t stand the ones that come with tree stands and climbers.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 09:18:28 AM »
I think the caliber choice was odd, a 308 is dropping +20 ft and energy down to about 700 ft/lbs at that range.  The range doesn't bother me if know your weapon and can read the environment and he clearly does and can.   Things can go bad on a 20 yard archery shot as well...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2021, 11:02:53 AM »
  With the terrain we havein this area, an 875 yard shot would be rare.  On placewhere it may be found, is on a powerline or pipeline right of way.  ..But then it would likely be a challenging up or down hill shot.

Here's a fellow who has somewhatlonger ranges that I do around here.  He lives in Clymer, NY.  I have built many silos around that town..  ..But notice he has no problem with long shots.  He and his friends hunt long range woodchucks with various calibers..check it out !

I think he could confidently shoot an elk at 875 yards. So far as a .308 is concerned, to hit the Elk's vitals only takes a slightly different elevation adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsh17rdZdi4
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 12:09:58 PM »
That was a good shot on that ground hog, but in the time it took for the bullet to get there he could have moseyed out of the picture.
And the 875 yard elk could have taken a step or two and got the bullet through the guts.

IMO, we should restrict those long shots to "non living" targets, because, again IMO we should try to be more ethical, because, anti hunters use things like this in their effort to stop hunting.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 12:19:05 PM »
That was a good shot on that ground hog, but in the time it took for the bullet to get there he could have moseyed out of the picture.
And the 875 yard elk could have taken a step or two and got the bullet through the guts.

IMO, we should restrict those long shots to "non living" targets, because, again IMO we should try to be more ethical, because, anti hunters use things like this in their effort to stop hunting.

They can hardly use a clean kill shot to stop hunting, but they sure as heck can use other hunters comments against it... I highly doubt you will see a video of a elk shot in the guts from that range even though it happens, also happens at 50 yards or less.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 05:26:24 PM »
I've shot prairie dogs at 400-450 laser measured yards. I've also missed them out there at such ranges.

I sure wouldn't attempt to shoot an elk at 875 and for dang sure not with a .308 Winchester at such distance. The bullet is moving so slowly out there not many of them would even expand and .30 caliber ain't enough for no expansion to me.

I wouldn't do it.

My choices suitable for elk at any range are: 257 Whby, 7-08, .280 Remington and .30-06. For just making the hit I'd chose the .257 but don't consider it up to the task out there. The '06 would I guess of my rifles be most adequate and while a tad better than a .308 I'd sure not stretch it that far.

That's me, to each their own. I'd feel comfortable being able to hit one assuming a rock steady rest out to at least 500 yards, maybe a bit further. I just don't feel like that's a reasonable shot for me with the rifles I own.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 12:38:35 AM »
Practiced. Confident. Rock steady rest. One time. Yes!
Video - no.
Brag about it (verbally) - yes.
Eat well - yes.

Get closer next time. Don't push the envelope.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2021, 01:15:50 AM »
  There is much to be said about animal observation...I suspect most of us watch a grazing or standing animal and their actions, so we have a very good idea when they are likely to hold a pause.
  If a shooter can consistently pick off woodchucks at long ranges, how much smaller a target is an elk's vitals

There is a fellow who owns an Elk & Buffalo farm about 3 miles from my house...on my way to my recreational property.  As I observe them,I find both to be rather quiet animals while grazing. They would be easy to shoot, so far as I can see!

Extreme ranges..500 to 1,000 yards...I personally wouldn't try, but I am an old man, no longer capable of the shooting i did at 25-30 years of age
  On the other hand, I am a safety minded hunter, who doesn't shoot at a running deer..nice to bag a deer, but not worth taking a potential safety risk with other hunters.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2021, 03:11:17 AM »
  I usually tell it like it is, so why change now?

The guy is a MORON!

DM

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2021, 03:15:57 AM »
  I usually tell it like it is, so why change now?

The guy is a MORON!

DM
;D I agree.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 10:38:30 AM »
  No doubt, if a man decides to shoot that long of range, a higher power round wouldn't hurt, and not everyone should try it.

keep in mind though, since the M14 came out, the .308 has been the standard sniper round for our miilitary.

Ithas been hambered in Quantico prepared rifles with a Remington 700 action as well as the AR10 as well as the SR-25 rifle, all in .308. 

Nick "the reaper" Irving got all his kills with the .308 !  Unknown total kills, but 33were confirmed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Irving

Offline darkgael

• The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2021, 01:44:04 AM »
No, I would not take the shot. I found that hogs at 100 yards were enough of a challenge.
Whenever I read about situations like this 875 yards shot (kudos to the shooter for a successful outcome), I wonder when hunting stops being “hunting” and becomes something else. For myself, shooting at an animal two canyons away does not require much “hunting” skill, though it does require fine marksmanship for success.
Some years ago, i read an article by the gun writer Ross Seyfried who stalked and killed a cow elk with a single shot rifle chambered for the .455 Webley cartridge. He took the shot at less than 50 yards after a considerable stalk.
I would not have done that either but it does fall more in line with my own idea about “hunting”.
When I was out walking the Uplands with my setter, Belle, I was hunting grouse or pheasant….even though she did most of the work.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2021, 01:57:18 AM »
No, I would not take the shot. I found that hogs at 100 yards were enough of a challenge.
Whenever I read about situations like this 875 yards shot (kudos to the shooter for a successful outcome), I wonder when hunting stops being “hunting” and becomes something else. For myself, shooting at an animal two canyons away does not require much “hunting” skill, though it does require fine marksmanship for success.

I agree with you in your assessment DG..  When and at what point does "hunting" become just "killing"?
   That young man in the link I offered, was cleaning pout varmints, varmints whose dirt humps, destroy many dollars worth of farm machinery every year, along with the threat of broken legs for cattle.

Of course, some here would take any range shot at a coyote, but allow a certain amount of "courtesy" for an elk !   ;)  ;D   Why ?  Same deal, I guess !

Offline scattershot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2021, 04:28:17 AM »
NO. Brilliant marksmanship, yes. Ethical hunting shot, no.