Author Topic: Airline transportion of pistols?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Hud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
Airline transportion of pistols?
« on: January 04, 2003, 07:56:35 AM »
I may be flying down to Florida this winter. Never been on a airliner before. I do have a carry permit for Florida.
What is the proper method for sending a pistol down there for me to carry?  I will be taking a relatively cheap Ruger 9mm, in case it's gets lost or something during the airline transportation.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Airline transport...pretty easy
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 12:32:14 PM »
Hud, :D
Done it several times and it's usually painless.  First step is to call the airline and have them explain their policy -- get the name/title of the person who tells you the policy.  I declare the firearm as a part of my checked baggage (no carry on weapons).  They have me put a red tag on the locked case.  I then put that locked case with the "steal me please" red tag inside a suitcase so I'm not advertising to thieves -- tag stays inside suitcase.  Ammo goes in the other suitcase (under 10lbs of ammo).  Hope this helps.
Matt
Isaiah 6:8

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 06:09:48 AM »
Thanks Matt,

I will talk to the airline to get their policy on guns.  Your answers have led to a few more questions though.

Can you put the tagged gun case in you regular suitcase, along with cloths and stuff,  or is that the only thing that can go in that suitcase?

Do you just carry your gun in the locked case up to the counter to be checked, or does it have to be declaired somewhere before entering into the airport?
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

Offline jamie

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 06:22:20 AM »
It has been awhile since i have done it, but I just carried right up to the counter in the locked case inside another suitcase.  Told the lady at the counter, she had me open it, made sure it was unloaded then locked it, tagged it and then put in the other suitcase again.  Although I was told that ammo could be in the case with it, the actual gun had to be empty including the magazine that was in the gun.  Now with all the security these days you'd be alot better off finding out before you get there.  So ask all the questions yuou can think of when you call.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Things change..
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2003, 08:31:04 AM »
Hud,

Jamie's advice is right on the money -- call the airline with all your questions.  I've always just put the gun, inside its locked case, then inside a suitcase with clothes in it.  I've just carried the gun, in its case, to the counter where I'm checking in.  I've never had to even open the case and show that the gun's unloaded (it is)...and suspect that 9 of 10 workers at the counter wouldn't know how to clear a gun anyway.

Have fun in Florida.  Don't feel the least bit guilty about leaving the rest of us to deal with the cold and snow all alone....no really.....really  :wink:

Cheers,
Matt
Isaiah 6:8

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 03:20:36 PM »
Thanks again, Jamie & Matt.

Now I will know what I am talking about when I call the airline. It is good to go into this somewhat informed, before hand,  incase someone on the other end starts blowing smoke.

I got the "run around" from the local UPS office last year on sending a gun down to Gary Reeder.  I finnally dug up their own rules and then was able to go back in and tell them that they would be delivering a gun for me.

They did.

Hud

Offline jhm

airlines and handguns
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 03:39:38 PM »
Hud the last time I flew it was a few years ago and I transfered a few handguns with me from our gunshop in Mich to our shop here in Ar. and I was able to put them all in a hard breafcase (LOCKABLE) and then check them in at the ticket window as unloaded without any problem, However I believe they have added that the case has to be airline aproved now so if you dont have a quality LOCKABLE handgun case you might want to look into one. :D   JIM