Author Topic: Feral hogs  (Read 803 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Feral hogs
« on: January 06, 2022, 12:31:57 PM »
I've used a few snares, but not
many. Most all of the places I've
trapped at weren't a snare friendly
property ( dogs, cattle, etc.) so
what experience I have is steel traps.
A friend was asking about trying to
snare hogs at a property he has
permission to hunt. The owner wants
the hogs gone, but insists that they
either be shot or snared.
The layout of the place would be the
best with a pen trap, but the owner
doesn't want that.
The friend and the landowner set
a few snares out but IMO they were
too small and set incorrectly and
had no deer stops.

Any advice on what I need to direct
them to buy ? I know there are H/D
hog specific snares available, but I
wasn't exactly sure what was needed
Thanks
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Feral hogs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 01:02:11 PM »
I wouldn't know how to start snagging a hog. Their purty hard to get a rope on to.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 01:07:21 PM »
Ranger, wouldn't a snare that turned a deer loose also turn a hog loose??
I'm not familiar with that kind of snare.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 03:32:27 AM »
Well, that landowner doesn't want those hogs gone that bad if he has restrictions of how to get rid of them.  If using a snare I would use a drag where possible, so you don't ruin the spot.  They will tear the heck out of the area when caught and if another hog sees one get caught, likely you won't get another there.

http://www.texas-wildlife.org/files/publications/snaring_hogs.pdf#:~:text=Snares%20for%20capturing%20feral%20hogs%20are%20commonly%20placed,above.%20Check%20snares%20daily%20to%20minimize%20fence%20damage.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=snaring+wild+hogs&view=detail&mid=606E73DA884DDD6D8AB8606E73DA884DDD6D8AB8&FORM=VIRE

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 12:50:39 PM »
I used to think it was neato to have
them running around and available
to pop when the opportunity presented
itself, but after I was having to fill in
deep holes, and was losing trees and
having to repair fencing, I decided I
didn't care for feral hogs as much.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 01:07:45 PM »
    A Cattleman not far from me uses snares  for trapping Beaver , they back up water and flood his pastures . He piles them up ,so he must know what he's doing .  Seems  if a snare works on Beaver it would on hogs ,as neither one has much of a neck .

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 04:57:07 AM »
    A Cattleman not far from me uses snares  for trapping Beaver , they back up water and flood his pastures . He piles them up ,so he must know what he's doing .  Seems  if a snare works on Beaver it would on hogs ,as neither one has much of a neck .

Beaver are stupid, hogs are not - they are very smart. When I was a kid I caught 11 beaver off of one conibear set in less than 2 weeks, biggest was 72lbs.  They had to be swimming around the dead beavers, yet still came back for their turn.  I got them all... They flooded a 6 acre corn field, bright side it was the best duck hunting I've ever had.  Hundreds of ducks would pour into that field.

If you could get more than one hog in the same set I would be surprised.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 05:05:44 AM »

Beaver are stupid, hogs are not - they are very smart. When I was a kid I caught 11 beaver off of one conibear set in less than 2 weeks, biggest was 72lbs.  They had to be swimming around the dead beavers, yet still came back for their turn.  I got them all... They flooded a 6 acre corn field, bright side it was the best duck hunting I've ever had.  Hundreds of ducks would pour into that field.

They use live traps where I grew up. That trap works on hogs that don't have any experience with traps.
It only works once.
Your right. A hog is smarter than a coyote, and a beaver is dumber than a possum.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »

They use live traps where I grew up. That trap works on hogs that don't have any experience with traps.
It only works once.
Your right. A hog is smarter than a coyote, and a beaver is dumber than a possum.
i wasnt comparing their intelligence , just their anatomy , just the fact not much neck for a snare to grab on to .

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 10:00:58 AM »

It only works once.
i wasnt comparing their intelligence , just their anatomy , just the fact not much neck for a snare to grab on to .

Snares for beavers are set underwater and usually get them in the middle of body as they are swimming.   A hog may not have much of a neck, but they have a big head and ears so once the snare is over the noggin it's game over.
Buckskin

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 01:18:05 PM »
If you do catch a hog in a snare, the cable will have to be strong enough to hold back a D-9 caterpillar.
They are some STRONG pigs. :)
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye