Author Topic: .270 Ren  (Read 1077 times)

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
.270 Ren
« on: January 18, 2022, 06:53:22 AM »
Anyone Shoot Cast in a .270 Ren?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: .270 Ren
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 12:11:17 PM »
Never owned a Ren, thought about it back in my NRA silhouette shooting days but was already using the .32 Magnum when it came out and just didn't see any advantage so never got around do it.

It's a bit small with not a lot of powder space so heavier bullets might not be great but if ya had a mold for a bullet it could move along OK and if ya could find load data I see no reason a cast bullet wouldn't do fine with it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline orerancher

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 12:18:38 PM »
Yeah, NOE has a Little .277 103g, Mold.....I Think I might Try....

Very Little Cast Data for the Ren.....Jacketed Bullets were Cheap and Easy to Find back in It's Day....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 12:34:20 PM »
Back in the day those folks who make loading manuals for one cartridge also made one for the TC Contender. There might be Ren data in it. I think I have one of them around here some place.

If ya get the mold and can't come up with data, hit me up with a request in a thread here and I'll search that old manual out to see if it had Ren data in it.

Heck those manuals might still be available for sale, I dunno.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline orerancher

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 12:52:07 PM »
Back in the day those folks who make loading manuals for one cartridge also made one for the TC Contender. There might be Ren data in it. I think I have one of them around here some place.

If ya get the mold and can't come up with data, hit me up with a request in a thread here and I'll search that old manual out to see if it had Ren data in it.

Heck those manuals might still be available for sale, I dunno.

Yes Sir, I have that Contender Manual....Only 270 Ren Data in It is For Sierra Bullets....But It's pretty much the Same Powders as A Guy would use for Cast Bullets....Knock about 10% off the Startin Loads for Jacketed... and go From There...  But Thanks!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 01:43:20 PM »
My old Lee manual had data for it.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 05:26:38 PM »
The Lee manual is actually a compilation of data from other data sources, they never to the best of my knowledge developed any data of their own. I'd imagine the .270 Ren data in the old Lee manual was from the TC manual.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 01:07:45 PM »
 I have never owned a 270 REN but the round has always fastenated me and I thought of making a handi rifle barrel for one many times but just never did it.  Like Bill I would want it mostly as a cast bullet shooter, something around 110 grs. and powder coated.
It is such a simple cartridge I would just make my own reloading dies for it unless I could find a used set somewhere cheap.
I did finally make a handi barrel in 256 Winchester magnum with a 10 twist barrel and it’s a great shooter and in the handi I can load 100 gr. out to a full 2.00” OAL and use all the case capacity of the small case and it gives surprising velocity.

The ren would be really cool and I don’t know anybody that shoots one.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline orerancher

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 06:58:43 AM »
I have never owned a 270 REN but the round has always fastenated me and I thought of making a handi rifle barrel for one many times but just never did it.  Like Bill I would want it mostly as a cast bullet shooter, something around 110 grs. and powder coated.
It is such a simple cartridge I would just make my own reloading dies for it unless I could find a used set somewhere cheap.
I did finally make a handi barrel in 256 Winchester magnum with a 10 twist barrel and it’s a great shooter and in the handi I can load 100 gr. out to a full 2.00” OAL and use all the case capacity of the small case and it gives surprising velocity.

The ren would be really cool and I don’t know anybody that shoots one.

jedman

Would Love a Handi in .256 win mag!  Have a 10in Contender 256, which is a lot of Fun... Been lookin for Years for the Old Marlin Lever Rifle in .256.