Author Topic: New to me AR  (Read 781 times)

Offline .270

• Trade Count: (0)
New to me AR
« on: January 21, 2022, 07:19:57 AM »
I recently acquired a like new Smith and Wesson M&P sport 2. Total of 3 rounds through it. I'm now realizing this is like Lego kit for grown men. I'm surprised at how cheap barrels can be had.

How complicated is it change out a barrel really?

Is a complete upper the better way go?

Also like the hear experiences good and bad with the 22 lr conversion kits.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: New to me AR
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 07:21:50 AM »
Not complicated to change the barrel,  but you need the tools. I have a 22 adapter and love it. A ceiner type conversion.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 07:48:07 AM »
Barrel swaps are relatively  easy  You just need the tools to remove the gas block and the barrel wrench. A punch will do the gas block but a dedicated gas block tool makes it much eaier. but complete uppers are much eaiser and the big advantage is you can leave optics or sights adjusted and can swap them on a lower and there ready to go. Swap a barrel and your going to need to sight in evey time. Really for what a complete lower costs your better off just building complete guns. If they ever ban anything the lower will be the serial numbered part and its better to have them now. Im about the opposite. Ive got 14 ar15s in different configurations and calibers and still have 3 bare lowers stashed in the safe in case something else catches my fancy.
I recently acquired a like new Smith and Wesson M&P sport 2. Total of 3 rounds through it. I'm now realizing this is like Lego kit for grown men. I'm surprised at how cheap barrels can be had.

How complicated is it change out a barrel really?

Is a complete upper the better way go?

Also like the hear experiences good and bad with the 22 lr conversion kits.
blue lives matter

Offline Moleman

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 07:58:21 AM »
Changing a barrel isn't hard at all, but unless you're never going to be shooting that barrel again it's best to just get another upper, barrel wrench, upper vise blocks, handguard, BCG and CH, gas block &tube, and muzzle device if needed and build another upper.  Be careful going down that rabbit hole though as the uppers multiply. I'm much like Lloyd in that I've got more than 15 lowers and have at least two uppers for each lower. Built a rack to store some of the extra uppers.

I have the M261 22lr kit.  It works, the original 10rnd mags are usually the source of any feeding issues since they fit into a standard mag and there's more slop to account for. There are aftermarket high cap mags for it.  In 30+ years of owning the kit I've replaced the flat tensioner spring 2x and it is a design flaw if you shoot them a lot.  Next time I'll just replace the recoil spring guide base with one that incorporates a coil spring and lever/plunger which should last longer.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 11:11:33 PM »
i solved the 22lr ar15 thing years ago with a smith ar22. Runs like a sewing machine.
Changing a barrel isn't hard at all, but unless you're never going to be shooting that barrel again it's best to just get another upper, barrel wrench, upper vise blocks, handguard, BCG and CH, gas block &tube, and muzzle device if needed and build another upper.  Be careful going down that rabbit hole though as the uppers multiply. I'm much like Lloyd in that I've got more than 15 lowers and have at least two uppers for each lower. Built a rack to store some of the extra uppers.

I have the M261 22lr kit.  It works, the original 10rnd mags are usually the source of any feeding issues since they fit into a standard mag and there's more slop to account for. There are aftermarket high cap mags for it.  In 30+ years of owning the kit I've replaced the flat tensioner spring 2x and it is a design flaw if you shoot them a lot.  Next time I'll just replace the recoil spring guide base with one that incorporates a coil spring and lever/plunger which should last longer.
blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 02:33:40 AM »
I second everything Lloyd said. Unless you are getting rid of your barrel buy an upper instead and get a M&P 15-22 for your 22LR needs.  You're going to spend $200 for a decent adapter kit and for about $400 you can get a gun that was designed for rimfire.  I have 2 15-22's and they run without a hiccup.  For ghits and siggles I'm going to put a binary trigger in one of them.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 03:54:02 AM »
once the gun fund is back in the black im going to buy a second ar22. i want a braced pistol with a binary trigger.
I second everything Lloyd said. Unless you are getting rid of your barrel buy an upper instead and get a M&P 15-22 for your 22LR needs.  You're going to spend $200 for a decent adapter kit and for about $400 you can get a gun that was designed for rimfire.  I have 2 15-22's and they run without a hiccup.  For ghits and siggles I'm going to put a binary trigger in one of them.
blue lives matter

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 06:03:14 AM »
I started out with a AR22 conversion kit (CMMG) and although it worked ok it was far from accurate with the 8 twist barrel. I converted the "kit" to a dedicated AR22 with parts from some company in Superior WI (they made Mac 10's also). It's been flawless and I shoot it more then other AR I own.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 07:59:50 AM »
I started out with a AR22 conversion kit (CMMG) and although it worked ok it was far from accurate with the 8 twist barrel. I converted the "kit" to a dedicated AR22 with parts from some company in Superior WI (they made Mac 10's also). It's been flawless and I shoot it more then other AR I own.

I have the same, I like mine and accuracy is good enough for the intended use. Also being not quite as reliable, although not to unreliable makes practice clearing the weapon a part og it.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.