Author Topic: Ruger SP101 for another option in self defense.  (Read 506 times)

Offline Buck Conner

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger SP101 for another option in self defense.
« on: January 30, 2022, 05:02:17 AM »
What do you do if a semi-auto won't work because of health issues. That was the problem my wife and myself have, hands are the issue. Still like the 9MM caliber but limited choices in revolvers, after looking at Smiths, Charter Arms, Rugers and a few others.

We decided on the Ruger SP101 in 9MM using full moon clips for ease of fast reloads and easy retrieval of spent cases. The full moon clip works smoother for us than fumbling with the speed loaders in a different caliber and not having to find the dropped cases. I bought a pair of these guns, changed the front sight to the Trijicon TJ-RA13F on the wife's gun and used the Novack front and rear sights on my revolver. Both guns have the Wilson spring kits with action jobs and my gun has a recrowned muzzle at 11 degrees. Both guns shoot very nicely as expected. Happy with the modifications and would do it again.

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ruger SP101 for another option in self defense.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 05:17:24 AM »
You can still use 38's and 357's in them.  I have one in stainless.  I also have 9mm.  S&W makes a new 9mm called the EZ.  Easier to pull back to load.  Might try one at a gun store. 
Opelika Portal

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 05:40:37 AM »
Well, I don't have any health issues that would prevent me from carrying an automatic, or a revolver.

I do however, have 1st hand experience in being in a fight with either.
I'll say that the revolver did a better job in my first disagreement, and a year later another disagreement (this time with TWO Dallas boys) my automatic left me wondering why I got rid of my wheel gun, so I went and got another wheel gun

I've owned and carried lots of auto pistols, but I have far more trust in a well tuned Smith 357 magnum.

That Ruger SP-101 wouldn't scare me if somebody handed me one to fight with. As long as it was loaded with 38 Special, or 357 mag.
I'd be concerned if it was any 9mm.
I'm a Smith guy, and I carry one every day.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 01:42:31 PM »
Well, I don't have any health issues that would prevent me from carrying an automatic, or a revolver.

I do however, have 1st hand experience in being in a fight with either.
I'll say that the revolver did a better job in my first disagreement, and a year later another disagreement (this time with TWO Dallas boys) my automatic left me wondering why I got rid of my wheel gun, so I went and got another wheel gun

I've owned and carried lots of auto pistols, but I have far more trust in a well tuned Smith 357 magnum.

That Ruger SP-101 wouldn't scare me if somebody handed me one to fight with. As long as it was loaded with 38 Special, or 357 mag.
I'd be concerned if it was any 9mm.
I'm a Smith guy, and I carry one every day.

Nothing wrong with first hand experience.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 12:56:08 AM »
Stainless (aren't they all) Ruger SP101 in 357 Mag, with Hogue grip for large hand, carried every day.

(Not so) humorous loss of a former SP101 "dinged" by a bush hog and a FREE replacement, due to my admission of "error", tale of the tape, and Ruger Gunsmith's pride in their workmanship as evidenced by my (their) wheel gun, returned for evaluation, which they kept.

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/bush-hogged-my-ruger-sp-101.360163/