Author Topic: are coyotes getting bigger  (Read 3901 times)

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
are coyotes getting bigger
« on: January 31, 2022, 01:44:27 PM »
 seems like it to me

Offline Hellgate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: are coyotes getting bigger
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 01:51:05 PM »
The predator callers back east are getting a few over 40 pounds.
Gun control=OSHA for criminals

Hellgate
SASS#3302
DGB#29
NRA Life

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 01:59:27 PM »
Dog or Wolf Cross?

Offline Dee

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 01:59:53 PM »
About 6 years ago I killed a coyote that weighed about 60 to 65 lbs. Was he a dog cross? I couldn't tell, but he grew fat on a steady diet of beef.
I was predator managing for a  couple of cow outfits.
I hunted one jet black coyote for 2 years until he just disappeared. He had a white patch about 4" around in the middle of his chest. He looked all coyote, but likely had some domestic dog in there somewhere.
The cow outfit I'm working for now has asked me to do predator control and there is a ton of sign, but I haven't seen one single coyote in the month I've been there during the day.
I've seen some big tracks, but no coyotes.
We haven't had wolves in many years, so the bigger coyotes are likely domestic dog crosses.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 02:22:17 PM »
Dog or Wolf Cross?
Dont know ,but sure has long legs.

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 02:29:12 PM »
About 6 years ago I killed a coyote that weighed about 60 to 65 lbs. Was he a dog cross? I couldn't tell, but he grew fat on a steady diet of beef.
I was predator managing for a  couple of cow outfits.
I hunted one jet black coyote for 2 years until he just disappeared. He had a white patch about 4" around in the middle of his chest. He looked all coyote, but likely had some domestic dog in there somewhere.
The cow outfit I'm working for now has asked me to do predator control and there is a ton of sign, but I haven't seen one single coyote in the month I've been there during the day.
I've seen some big tracks, but no coyotes.
We haven't had wolves in many years, so the bigger coyotes are likely domestic dog crosses.
  Seeing more in the daylight hours this year than in the past .

Offline Dee

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 05:14:15 PM »
We've got some really bad weather moving in tomorrow night, so maybe the coyotes here will start moving some in the day. I feed every morning, and work fences after that.
Keep a rifle handy, haven't seen any.

Calving starts in about a month, and that's when the problems will start with coyotes. These black Angus calves are small, and coyotes will work a momma cow hard trying to get her calf.

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 10:22:28 PM »
Saw my first black one in deer season this year. It's large size and color made me hesitate for fear of shooting a dog. When it broke to run I had no doubt. I hurried it along with a 100 grain treat.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 03:52:41 AM »
   Eastern coyotes are bigger, they are different critters.  For years I heard claims of "coy dog" and other views. 

Then Penn state did an exhaustive study of the critter.  They considered all and did a major DNA study,
  So that pretty well settled it for me.

Here, from the PA game commission.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Education/WildlifeNotesIndex/pages/ecoyote.aspx
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 04:02:45 AM »
  There are  numerous coyote hunting clubs, in NY state.  This website (Bark at the Moon) is from Geneseo, NY, about 30 miles from me..  Most of those clubs are within anywhere from 20 to 50 or 6 miles from me.

They hold competition hunts, and the "top dog" usually goes between 45 and 65 pounds.

https://barkmoon.proboards.com/thread/10514/foxpros-york-state-coyote-roster

Naturally, the PETA types don't like the 'unbridled killing'..

https://blog.humanesociety.org/2020/03/undercover-investigation-exposes-senseless-rush-to-kill-coyotes-at-new-york-wildlife-killing-contest.html

Below, see a cornfield dog...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 05:58:40 AM »
Wow !  That’s a hefty Yote !   I live in farm country and have a open view of farm fields for more than a mile in all directions and see them quite often but didn’t own a really long range gun until recently.
I got a great deal on a custom built 243 Winchester with a 1 - 14 twist heavy SS barrel and a 4 x 16 scope that’s built for 58- 70 grains varmint bullets. I handload all the ammo I use and am working up loads right now for it.
Problem is we just had a big snow storm and winds that drifted snow to deep to get out and shoot and the temps have been to cold for me. I am waiting on the new scope also should be here in a couple days and I can get it set up.

I’m thinking when I’m ready I will pick up a road killed animal and set it out near the closest corner of my neighbors woods about 250 yards and put one of my motion detector alarms near it so when something shows up I can look out and see what it is. Yokes are breeding now and I have been seeing them lately.

Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 03:40:37 AM »
Here is one that was in my daughter-in-laws back yard this morning, She said there was 2 of them but only got a quick pic of this one with her phone.  We both live close in SE Michigan.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 06:04:10 AM »
Here is one that was in my daughter-in-laws back yard this morning, She said there was 2 of them but only got a quick pic of this one with her phone.  We both live close in SE Michigan.

jedman
That is a bigboy , likely 50 lbs. +

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2022, 01:54:04 AM »
A hunting buddy spoke with one of
the biologists at a WMA at a hunt
and supposedly there's been some of
the red wolves show back up after
all these years. They were pretty much
gone after the coyotes got to this
half of the state in the mid 1950's

JMHO- I imagine that all these people
building these houses in places where
no sane person would build a house
had pushed scarce rarely seen animals
back out to where they can be seen
whereas many weren't seen for many
years. The lions for example
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 03:34:55 AM »
I have some friends that run hounds, we hunt coyotes as often as possible.  We haven't noticed them getting any bigger.  We kill hundreds every winter.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2022, 03:49:09 AM »
Well Billy,  I think you hit the nail on the head.
In a cold winter, a healthy coyote will  "fur up" and look much bigger than they really are.
I started hunting, and calling coyotes in about 1971, and over the years I've seen a big coyote now and then, and I've seen some domestic dog crosses.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 02:00:02 AM »
Dang it,  >:( >:( This morning right at sun up there was a yote under 100 yards behind my house coming my way.
I tried to get the screen and. Window open quietly but he was to cautious and ran back out in the field.
I was looking at the Sun right on the horizon and couldn’t see nothing but orange glare in my scope.
Foiled Again !!

jedman

Offline Dee

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 02:03:32 AM »
I killed 4 off a dead cow a couple a weeks ago.  Standard size. They were packed up and running together. 

Offline trapper9260

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2022, 10:24:31 AM »
From what I see it depending what part of the country you are , Back when I was in MA in about 92 to 94  I had trapped 2 that went about 60 lbs. and then here in Iowa they not as big as that but some are close , Also the ones out here is more aggressive then the one that is in MA. I trap a few of them along with other fur bearers.   The Furbuyer in RI that I was close friends with also told me that the ones in New England are brush wolves . They call them coyotes to make it legal to shoot them. So come down to they a part wolf. So are the ones in the midwest. but also some are part dog , I had got 2 coydogs puppies that was brothers they they show that they were part coyote and wolf and dog . one show more then the other.

Offline Dee

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2022, 11:38:52 AM »
I killed what may be the biggest coon I've ever seen this morning. I'm guessing 30 lbs, maybe more. He was also old and belligerent. He has been recycled for coyote bait. Ranch next door is losing calves.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 01:36:36 AM »
i think the harsh winters up here keep them from growning to extremely large sizes. used to have lots of deer carcasses to eat but now the wolves bully them out. Coyotes will head to the hills if theres a wolf around. Since weve had wolves in the nieghborhood we dont see or hear near as many coyotes as we did years ago. We have more of a problem with black bear then anything else here. LOTS of them and the dnr spends more time and money taking care of them then they do our deer heard. The farmer that we shoot deer for said he has more calves taken by black bear then coyotes and wolves combined. No doubt the dnr takes care of the bear because its a cash crop for them selling lincenses but i just dont understand why they protect wolves. Shoot one and you will do jail time if your caught. All because some liberal hippys from the southern part of our state thought that we should have wolves back here so they reintroduced them but only to the UP of michigan. Not in there back yard though. Whats needed is those wolves to get a taste for liberal tourists. Then the dnr would have them killed off in a second.
blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 03:42:39 AM »
I don't think yotes are any bigger than they were in the past.

The wolf problem you have Lloyd isn't helped by the feds or Wisconsin either.  Does the UP have a season when they are delisted, like Wisconsin does?

What the libs don't get is that by not hunting the wolves they make them varmints and they are shot in the gut or poisoned and die an agonizing death.  If they were able to be hunted, they would be a trophy species that would be managed responsibly to sustain them.  My guess is just as many get killed with or without a season on them, yet still not enough to control the population.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2022, 06:29:38 AM »
they talked about a limited season but i havent seen anything really done. Are your wolves native or are they like ours and were introduced by hippys because at one time they were native? When my dad was young there were bountys on them and they killed them all off. Why anyone would want them back boggles my mind. Like i said its not the people who live here its the idiot liberals downstate that think this is some kind of park for there pleasure up here. Im waiting till some yuppy hiker gets ate by one. Then maybe they will do something.
I don't think yotes are any bigger than they were in the past.

The wolf problem you have Lloyd isn't helped by the feds or Wisconsin either.  Does the UP have a season when they are delisted, like Wisconsin does?

What the libs don't get is that by not hunting the wolves they make them varmints and they are shot in the gut or poisoned and die an agonizing death.  If they were able to be hunted, they would be a trophy species that would be managed responsibly to sustain them.  My guess is just as many get killed with or without a season on them, yet still not enough to control the population.
blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 07:04:42 AM »
They were reintroduced and the DRN said they would be managed.  Well, they are managed by the S.S.S club.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 12:50:33 PM »
They were reintroduced and the DRN said they would be managed.  Well, they are managed by the S.S.S club.
S.S.S. Fine policy.
Winner Winner x 1 View List

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2023, 09:06:34 AM »
  Here's an interesting video of some hounds cornering a decent sized coyote, in Otsego county, NY.  Interesting exchange with land owner,
  and providing the "Coupe' De Gras" for the coyote.  (12 min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPI87yZaePc
Agree Agree x 1 View List