Author Topic: BSA Vs. Tasco, I need help choosing scopes.  (Read 915 times)

Offline FireMarshal91

• Trade Count: (0)
BSA Vs. Tasco, I need help choosing scopes.
« on: March 09, 2004, 04:47:07 PM »
Dear Forum Members,

I have the opportunity to purchase a varmint scope for my Savage FVSS in .223.  I am wanting to make it a 300 yard varmint rifle.  I need help choosing between two scope marked the same price.  The scopes are:

1) Tasco 6-24x-42mm varmint/tactical scope
2) BSA Contender Target scope in 6-24x-40mm

Both are in excellent condition and are mil-dot scopes.  The parties involved are asking $55.00 for either one.

Folks, what scope should I choose????

Thanks,

Jason :?
Sometimes you are the dog...

And sometimes you are the hydrant

Offline Bearwolf31

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 05:46:01 AM »
I would get the Tasco simply because it would be backed by Bushnell (if it was made after Bushnell aquired Tasco).  :grin:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 07:30:16 AM »
I have no experience with BSA so I would have to go with the Tasco.  I have that same scope you are contemplating.  

MAGNIFICATION: 6-24x
FIELD-OF-VIEW: 13'-3.7' @ 100 yards
EXIT PUPIL: 7mm @ 6x /  1.8mm @ 24x
LENS COATING: SuperCon/multi-layered, fully coated
FOCUS TYPE: Eyebell
PARALLAX SETTING: 15 feet to infinity OBJECTIVE LENS DIAMETER: 42mm
EYE RELIEF: 3"
RETICLE TYPE: True Mil-Dot™
WINDAGE/ELEVATION: 1/4 M.O.A Glove-Grip Turrets
TUBE DIA: 1"
WEIGHT: 19.6 oz.
LENGTH:16"
FINISH: Black Matte

The lens coating is a little misleading.  It is only fully coated but for $55 what do you expect?  I would find out if the BSA has any type of lens coating to increase the light transmission.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  

I paid $67.20 for my new Tasco scope w/o shipping.  It came to about $76 when all was said and done.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 02:25:05 PM »
Tasco.

I had the crosshairs in a BSA break on the 5th shot with a muzzleloader.  I had a Tasco on a muzzleloader for years with no problems.  As far as low end bushnells, I had the crosshairs break on one of them on a 25-06.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »
Like the cliche goes - "you get what you pay for."

I would stay away from both.  The three worst scopes, generally speaking, are BSA, Simmons, and Tasco, (and probably in that order).

Yes, some people will tell you that they have had these scopes on their rifles for all their life with no problem.  Well, that may be true, but that's also probably the exception and not the rule.

I have personally seen crosshairs break and hang on all three makes.  And don't get me started on the tracking (or lack thereof.)

I understand that people have budgets - heck, I do too.  However, if you can't afford at least a medium level scope, then just save your money and buy something better later on down the road.  Spending even just a little bit of money now is actually going to be more expensive for you in the longrun because they will turn into junk, and you will not only waste your money, but also your time, which in turn is money.

Zachary

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 07:22:05 AM »
FireMarshall...As you can see by the responses you will get many differing opinions.  You really have to just try things for yourself.  I enjoy using my low budget scopes and have yet to have one fail.  Others may not have the same experience as I have.  I still buy low price scopes because I have had good success with them and I will continue to do so until I have a problem.  

Now when I refer to scopes as low priced I am referring to my Tasco Varmint/Target scope, Tasco World Class Black Powder scope, 2 Bushnell Trophy Scopes as well as a Bushnell Banner Scope.  The most I have paid was $90 for the Trophy.  I also have a 4x32 Simmons ProDiamond scope that spent 5 years on my 870 slug gun without a failure.  I retired it for the time being in favor of a variable Trophy.

Buy what you can afford and enjoy your shooting... :wink:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 07:54:38 AM »
I personally have had good luck with tasco and bushnell scopes.
you will find troubles with all scopes makes and models. you will find the budget scopes will not be as clear and bright as the top of the line ones and you may or may not get the customer service you deserve

300 yards is a long way to see with a low quilaty scope you may be ok and be able to live with one of the two but in the long run wyou will be a lot happier with a higher quilaty line

Offline brasschaser

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 12:22:11 PM »
Like a few others have said, I'd stay far away from either of those brands.  As they say, Tasco=Trashco, unless you get one of the top of the line world class ones.  I actually had that 6-24x and it literally fell apart, focus ring would not stay in place after minimal use.  And BSA is just plain BS from all the reviews I've read, with the possible exception of their Platinum series.  Most of these cheap Chinese made scopes are just pure crap and not worth the trouble.

At the least get a Weaver or a Simmons Aetec.  These are lower priced and have decent reputations.