Author Topic: What is your CCW weapon of choice?  (Read 22908 times)

Offline HARD-CORE

• Trade Count: (0)
What is your CCW weapon of choice?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2003, 12:13:59 PM »
IN THE SUMMER TIME I LIVE IN SHORTS AND A TANK TOP SO I USUALLY CARRY MY 2" COLT MAGNUM CARRY .357 IN A UNCLE MIKES, IN THE PANTS HOLSTER AND IT SEEMS TO CONCEAL PRETTY WELL.  IN THE WINTER TIME I CARRY MY 4" SMITH MODEL 686 .357 IN MY UNCLE MIKES BELT SLIDE HOLSTER.  AND FOR FOUR LEGGED PREDATORS WHILE IN THE WOODS I USUALLY CARRY MY RUGER SINGLE SIX WITH THE .22 MAG CYLINDER IN THE FRAME.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2003, 06:01:22 PM »
I carry according to where/what I'm doing. Most of the time it's a 1911 with handload SWC, full mag one in the pipe but half cock. No one pistol will cover every occasion for me.
Rick

Offline Savage

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2003, 02:06:01 AM »
Half cock???????Too dangerous for me!  Make mine "cocked and locked"??
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2003, 06:58:51 AM »
Use to tote cocked and locked but I carry in the small of my back and quite a few times the safety would move to off, leaving me with a cocked and ready. (I've talked to quite a few guys who have had this happen) Got use to cocking the hammer on single actions at draw so the switch to half cock was a natural one. I can draw and cock better than draw and move the safety. I'm sure the cock and lock is safer, but I have had carry problems using it.
Rick

Offline Savage

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2003, 08:10:57 AM »
Rick,
If it works for you great! No one carry mode is right for everyone, I guess. JMB designed the 1911 to be carried in condition one----guess  I'm used to it. The primary concerns I have with the half cock carry is the danger of the half cock notch shearing if dropped or struck on the hammer. As the 1911 has an inerta firing pin system it would be safer to carry it with the hammer all the way down. You might also consider that the grip safety must be depressed as well as the manual safety disengaged to fire. I've seen some thumb break holsters that would disengage the thumb safety as well. Never saw that as a real problem though as I must still grip the gun in a shooting grip and put my finger on the trigger to fire.
Stay Save,
Savage

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
Depends on the season
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2003, 05:37:34 AM »
In the summer, a Kahr 4043, either in a Thunderware holster, a Bianch IWB, or Bianchi pancake.  In the winter, usually the Glock 22 in a Bianchi paddleback.  Both have Trijicon night sights and are always stoked with Winchester STHPs.  If I can sneak them into the house, I'd love to get Kramer MSPs for both of them.  My on duty "Oh Sheet" piece is an AMT .380 "Backup" with Hydra-shocks.  Kinda heavy, but rides ok in the pocket holster I made for it.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline Savage

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2003, 08:02:16 AM »
Mainspring,
Good little piece the AMT Backup. I'm guilty of carrying a Kel tec P-32 for my "Oh Sheet" piece. About  half a pound loaded---Guess now that Kel tec is offering a .380 I'll just have to have one!!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2003, 06:44:42 PM »
Hey Savage,

Yeah, the AMT is pretty decent.  I'd feel more comfortable with a concealed hammer .38, but the AMT (older single action type) hides so much better, as do spare mags, as opposed to speed loaders or speed strips for the .38.

I've never checked out a Kel-Tec, but a couple of friends are considering them, especially once the .380 becomes available.  I just may have to take a gander.

Be safe.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Carry guns
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2003, 04:17:46 AM »
Depends on the time of year.  Wintertime when I can only get to an inside pocket of a dress coat brings out my S&W Airweight Bodyguard.  Florida beach weather brings out the Beretta 21A.  Most of the other times it is one of a couple of 45s, or my Tok, a 357 or 44.  It just all depends on what I'm wearing, where and when.

But unlike Hard-Core, I wouldn't wear a tank top - tain't a manly man's way to go.  This is Mikey.

Offline HARD-CORE

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2003, 03:38:44 AM »
HEY MIKEY,

IF YOU GOT THE BIG GUNS YOU HAVE TO FLAUNT THEM FROM TIME TO TIME LOL.  BESIDES BEING A MARINE CORPS. VET, I THINK THAT IM MANLY ENOUGH.

Offline 6bits

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2003, 06:50:44 PM »
The normal carry gun for me is a Kimber 45apc short barrel, cocked and locked. In cold weather I go to the Smith & Wesson "Air-Weight" 357 mag. It is fast to pull out of pocket having no rear sight blade or hammer to hang up on during the process of coming on target. :grin:

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Hard-Core
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2003, 04:10:31 AM »
Airborne Buddy!  Airborne!  Who were you with?  I'm an Army Vet.  We used to bust beers with a few Marines in Vietnam and they would always give us the jabs about our jump wings.  Marine Corps jump wings are gold, right?  Ours were just plain silver and I forget how the diddy went about the comparison between the two but it was always good for another round of beer.  Here's to ya. Mikey.

Offline HARD-CORE

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2003, 04:11:30 AM »
HEY MIKEY,

AFTER BASIC AT PARRIS ISLAND IN 81 I WENT TO SCHOOL AT 29 PALMS CA. FOR FIELD RADIO OPERATOR TRAINING.  AFTER SCHOOL I WENT TO OKINAWA WHERE I SPENT 2 MONTHS WITH 7 TH. COMM BN. AT CAMP HANSON WHICH SUCKED BECAUSE MOST OF THE FIELD TIME WAS SPENT IN THE REAR WITH THE BRASS WHICH WAS BOREING FOR THE YOUNG HARD CHARGER THAT I WAS.  THANK GOD I GOT TAD ORDERS TO FLY OUT OF KADINA AFB. TO CLARK AFB. IN THE PHILLIPINES TO CATCH THE USS BELLEAU WOOD LHA3 IN SUBIC BAY,WHICH I DID 2 WEST PAC CRUSES WITH THE 31 ST MAU. (MARINE AMPHIBIOUS UNIT) NOW THEY CALL THEM MEU'S.  WHEN I GOT BACK STATE SIDE I FINISHED MY HITCH WITH 2ND COMBAT ENGINEER BN. AT CAMP LEJUENE N.C. THAT WAS ALL 20 YEARS AGO AND THEY WERE SOME OF THE BEST MEMORIES OF MY LIFE.  THE ONLY OTHER THING THAT IM MORE PROUD OF IS THE FAMILY THAT I GOT NOW.
    AS FOR THE JUMP WINGS THAT MARINE FORCE RECON HAS, THEY ARE GOLD.  THEY ALSO WHERE A SILVER SCUBA SKULL ABOVE IT.

SEMPER FI

HARD-CORE

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2003, 06:59:44 PM »
I carry a full-sized Kimber with a set of Lasergrips for dim light situations where I can't focus on the sights. (At my age I'll take all the help that I can get). :wink:

I carry in a Milt Sparks VM-II most of the year. It works very well with a light vest or even a bloused shirt, which is an important point in Nevada summers.

In the winter, I sometimes use a Bianchi PDQ, particularly if I know that I will be wearing a coat all the time, or if I will be sitting a lot.

Offline carpediem

• Avid Poster
What to carry
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2003, 07:39:52 PM »
:shock: I think what is important is the projectile, not the delivery system.  Most of the talk appears to centre around the 45 acp.  There was the odd 9mm holow point.

What do you guys think about the 380acp or a 32acp for detering unwelcome advances on one's person?  

Kindest regards, :grin:
Carpediem

Offline RIFLE MAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2003, 04:24:22 PM »
I tend to like full sized semi-autos in .45 ACP. So, my current concealed personal cary weapon is a CZ 97B. Yes, it's a bit heavy, though not cumbersome, and it is a fine service weapon. My second choice is my Ruger vaquero in .45 L.C. ! I trust it, I know it, and I am comfortable with it under all circumstances. I consider it a tried and true friend.

Cheers,
Rifle Man  8)
"Smile, Shake a hand, and be a friend."

Offline Original Ken

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2003, 11:56:47 AM »
My choice for small carry is a Kel-Tec P11 in 9 mm with Federal Hydra-Shock in the mag.  I also carry a 2 1/2 inch Dan Wesson in 357 with 125 JHP or my old reliable S&W (the good one from the early 70's) Model 19 4 inch with the same 125's.  They all will do the job but the Kel-Tec is a pocket stuffer and is extremely agile and the accuracy is respectable.  The guys at Kel-Tec seem to be doing something right and they back em up for life!!

:D
This Be The Original Ken
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Shooters: We have lost an old friend, and I am saddened by his passing. Ken Stufft, who we knew as The Original Ken, passed away unexpectedly on March 22, 2004.

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2003, 11:19:38 AM »
carpediem,
I carry a 32 everyday.  I have 45 acp in revolver and auto,  9mm, 22LR, 22MAG, 25acp, and 44MAG's and 357's in various lengths.  If I am really going in harms way I would rather have 10 shots in a 12ga, but second to that I would opt for a 4"357  or my compact 45.  Having said all that, I repeat, I carry a 32 everyday.  
1.  I don't really go into dangerous areas most of the time.
2.  I can't carry a larger gun much of the time.  
3.  I can carry the 32 with 7 rounds in it in my front pocket ALL THE TIME and as much as 40 rounds in spare mags in my back pocket WITHOUT anyone knowing that I am armed.

Carrying the 32 is a tradeoff between constant availability and stopping power, but at 66% One Shot Stops and with as many as 47 rounds ready at a moments notice, I certainly don't feel unarmed.  It is a tradeoff I am comfortable with in my situation.

Others have different circumstances and make different choices, but the NAA 32 Guardian is my choice most days.

Offline Desperado357

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2003, 12:48:47 AM »
6 1/2 inch Taurus 608, 8 shot 357 magnum in full size 1911 protech outdoors belt holster that has clip that gos over belt thatn can also be revers and pull open to slide over jeans so it can be converted to inside pants. altho not desighned for what and how i use it, it works well and has a extra magazine pouch built on to it. when i get my Kimber TLE ill get another one so i can carry 2 guns and have 2 magazine pouches for the Kimber

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Has Anyone Read About
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2003, 09:06:00 AM »
The new 32 auto cartridge based on the 380 case.  It was designed for one of those small pocket pistols that shoot either the 32 auto or the 380 and this seem to be the natural evolution of the pocket rocket concept.  What you have here is a 60 grain 32 caliber hollowpoint at about 1200'/sec from a pocket rocket.  That just might be the ticket if the darn thing penetrates enough to do what needs to be done.  

So now we have bottlenecked pistol cartridges that are (1) the 32 based on a 380 case (2) two different 30 calibers based on 9mm cases, the 7.72x25 Tokarev/30 Mauser and the 7.65 Luger (3) a 9mm based on a 40 S&W case, the 357 Sig, and (4) a 40 caliber based on the 45 ACP, the 400 Cor-Bon.  All of them quite capable.  I also know there is a 9mm based on the 10mm case, whatever it is called.  

I think I would like to see a 30/32 caliber based on either the 40 S&W case or the 10mm case - imagine this: varmit shooting with an auto pistol.  I wonder how something like that (lightweight bullets - up to 88-95 grains) would fare against steel silhouettes?  Now there's a thought, a flat shooting pistol cartridge with little or no trajectory that might be acceptable for 200 yard silhouette shooting with plain sights.  Just my two cents worth.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2003, 06:02:25 PM »
Mikey,
Don't leave out the 22 Jet and the 38/45!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2003, 05:20:38 AM »
I carry my Kimber Custom CDP in  paddle holster. Just got a Pro CDP and will probably give it equal time in the future after I have a chance to take it to te range and run a bunch of ammo thru it. If it is as dependable as the Custom has proved to be, it might make a little bit of a weight reduction advantage.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline TravisM.

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2003, 11:37:01 AM »
That .32NAA seems a lot like the old 7.62x25mm handgun round from eastern europe.
My wife has a Llama Mini-Max in .32, and it works very well.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
32s
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2003, 04:12:53 AM »
TravisM:  that's a good comparison.  The new 32NAA is a necked down 380 that fires a 60 grain 32 bullet at 1200'/sec.  The 7.62x25 fires an 88 grain 30 caliber bullet at 1400'/sec or better, depending on the ammo, and there are plenty of those guns and that ammo around.  I think that for pocket rockets that 32NAA would be a good tradeoff and offer ample protection, at least during warm weather.  I wonder about the penetrability of that 60 grain 32 caliber hollowpoint on winter clothing though.  I wouldn't want to be the test subject, but it is a thought.  Mikey.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2003, 01:25:25 PM »
A Glock 26 in a Kramer holster, or a S&W Model 40 Centennial in a lined leather belt slide from Andrew's Leather.

Offline Omega Man

CCW
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2003, 06:54:18 AM »
Summertime..EAA Witness Compact 10mm with custom IWI Custom Night sights in Thunderware or Don Hume JIT. Lately, it's been an SP101 (38 SPL) in  thunderware when wearing shorts/ light clothing.  The SP was worked over by Jack Weigland, so she's a sweatheart to shoot accurately.  Carry rounds for the 10mm are Winchester Black Talons (200GRs) and Fedeal Personal Protection in the SP101 (125GR's).

Bottom line is practice...practice...practice!  Right handed, Left handed, sitting, standing, kneeling.  Looking at this message thread I would say all of you are of sound caliber (choice that is).  However, you must get out and shoot your CCW often to be proficent with shot placement.  I prefer doing the 2-1 drill.  2 to the body...1 to the head.  Practice that at the range next time your out.  Then hope you never have to use it against another human being.

Stay well....armed.

JR
Omega Man

10mm-Don't Leave Home without it!

Offline kbmoly

OK, my two bits worth
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2003, 06:29:00 AM »
First, I'm no professional, but I'm reasonably competent with a handgun:  I can put six .357's in the K-1 zone of a Colt silouette (SP?) target at 25 yards in just under two seconds, and I can hit a 6" fence post at 200 MEASURED yards about 3 or 4 times out of five with my iron sighted Redhawk.

That said, I used to carry a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog as my carry gun, with a stiff handload that I could keep on a pie plate at 25 yards.  And I have had to pull it on several ocasisons, varying from civil unrest (when the Black Panthers were trying to burn down Atlanta Ga.)  to attempted rapes (not me, but once of my wife and another time of a neighbor lady).  

But I was reflecting on those experiences a while back, and realized that this level of inconvenience had never been necessary.  It has been my experience that very few things have a greater sobering or civilizing influence on drunks and criminals that the sudden and unexpected sight of a pistol muzzle, and the angry face behind it.  It has never once failed to produce exceedingly sober, polite and civil individuals who spend most of their time saying "Yes sir" and wishing the police would HURRY!

And the size of the  hole in the end of the bore has had absolutely no effect on those results.  I have gone to carrying either a tiny .32 revolver with some rather interesting handloads, or a tiny .22 semiauto, depending on my clothing and the situation.  

I admitt that I have had some qualms about this choice.  I am a big bore fan, and no mistake.  I still have a callus in the web of my right hand from the hammer of a Colt Gold Cup, about 15 years after I quit shooting it.  But I'm enough of a marksman that I don't think that - if the situalion required it - I'd have a great deal of trouble doing a great deal of damage with either of those little stingers, and in a very brief span of time.  We all have to make compromises, and this one seems reasonable to / for me.

Thoughts and reactions?

kbmoly
Cast bullet enthusiast, former gunsmith, Reload for just about all common calibers, and a few very uncommon ones.

Offline Savage

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2003, 09:04:23 AM »
A Gun------any gun---is better than none. The only one that counts is the one you have with you when you need it! If a gun is too big and too heavy to have on your person everytime you step out of the house, chances are, you won't have it with you when you really need it! I too have avoided really bad situtations because I had a gun with me when I needed one. We just have to remember that the gun is not a solution to every problem. Civilians have a responsibility to avoid or retreat from a potentially deadly confrontation. Anytime I present my gun, I have run out of options and I am prepared to use it legally. Just 3.5-5# of reaward pressure and----------------------------!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline kbmoly

Not exactly.
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2003, 06:35:26 AM »
Savage,

You are dead right that any gun is better than none. But I disagree strongly with the statement that ANYONE has a responsibility to avoid or retreat, though it is undoubtedly the better part of discretion most of the time.  

But I have a legal right to go where and when I please, so long as I do not transgress on the rights of others, such as breaking and entering.  I intend to exercise that right.  

I once had a co-worker comment that he'd seen me on the street while he was driving through a particularly nasty part of town, and warned me it was a dangerous area.  He asked "Don't you worry about some thug trying to rob you?"  I laughed and said that I let the thugs worry about trying to rob me.  A large, muscular frame and a confident, self assured poise will go a long way to fend off trouble.  And if it doesn't, I know what to do and how to do it.  

... and I have a letter of appreciation from the Chief of Police of Willoughby Hills, Ohio for coming to the assistance of one of his officers  to prove it.  I carry it in the glove box, where it'll be handy if I ever need it some day.  

Regards,
kbmoly
Cast bullet enthusiast, former gunsmith, Reload for just about all common calibers, and a few very uncommon ones.

Offline Savage

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2003, 09:20:53 AM »
KB,
On behalf of LEOs everywhere, thank you for getting involved! There are numerous LEOs that would not be alive today were it not for citizens that were not afraid to get involved!

I'm not advocating that you stay inside your residence to avoid trouble. You have a right to go about your pursuits whenever and wherever they may be.  Avoidance comes right behind awareness in the survival mindset. The best way to survive a fight, is to avoid one!

I'd look long and hard at my reasons for being in the "Nasty" part of town.
If you are ever involved in a self defense shooting, you can bet the attorneys and prosecutors will!

Don't know about Ohio, but most, if not all of the CCW states require you to retreat from a life threatning situtation when possible, using deadly force only as a last resort.

Stay Safe,
Savage