Author Topic: What is your CCW weapon of choice?  (Read 22907 times)

Offline kbmoly

• Trade Count: (0)
What is your CCW weapon of choice?
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2003, 10:15:47 AM »
Thank you Mr. Savage.

I've spent some time in a squad car myself, and not for reasons you might presume.  I had a very good friend who was ... assistant chief of police of a two man force,in a small WVA town.  We spent a lot of time together, while he was both off and on duty.  Probably illegal, but who was going to complain, and who would they complain to?

>Avoidance comes right behind awareness in the survival mindset. The best way to survive a fight, is to avoid one!

Excellent advice.  Only an idiot would get into a situation of that nature when he could easily avoid it.  But sometimes it isn't easy, and sometimes decency requires that you come to the help of others instead of avoiding the situation.  

>I'd look long and hard at my reasons for being in the "Nasty" part of town. If you are ever involved in a self defense shooting, you can bet the attorneys and prosecutors will!

I'm not exactly a COMPLETE idiot, though sometimes I wonder.  I did indeed have good reason to be there, and wasted no time leaving.  But I did not fear while I was there.  

As for inqueries about my activities,  the last time such inquery was made was a police officer who demanded (he did not enquire or ask)  what I was doing on a certain stretch of highway.  I told him that I was minding my own lawful business, and recommended the same to him.  Got nasty, but he was sure tired of it before I was.  I developed a new hobby of quoting the constitution and some legal precedents to him and his superiors, and I wasn't subtle about it either.  I had his public apology before it was over, and he was bloody lucky I accepted it.  

>Don't know about Ohio, but most, if not all of the CCW states require you to retreat from a life threatning situtation when possible, using deadly force only as a last resort.

FWIW, I consider that turning my back on a life threatening situation and rendering myself thus unable to see and or respond to that situation to be insanity incarnate.  I will not turn my back and run, I will put an end to life threatening situations in a much less hazardous - to me - manner.  If it should be more hazardous to the perp, the situation is of his making, and so are the consequences.  If I have anything at all to do with it, he will suffer those consequences, not me.

Ohio, unfortunately, is not a CCW state at the moment, though the current legal situation has been been declared unconstitutional by several layers of the judicial system, so there is considerable hope that this might change soon.  Note, however, that it is quite legal to transport firearms to and from ranges, provided that they are properly stored while in transit.  BTW, you'd be astonished at how much target shooting I do, and at how fast a properly stored handgun can be brought into play.  That is how I happened to have a pistol handy to assist an officer with, and on another ocassion, to drive off an assualt on a lonely stretch of roadway - without killing anyone, but I've often wondered what kind of engine that guy had.  It flat-out smoked!  

kbmoly
Cast bullet enthusiast, former gunsmith, Reload for just about all common calibers, and a few very uncommon ones.

Offline Savage

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2003, 04:06:04 AM »
kbmoly,
Just two points of clarification. I have never advocated turning your back on a threat, never, ever! There are ways to disengage without having to do this. And yes, there are times when we must intervene to protect others. Should this happen, just remember to carefully follow the commands of the responding officers. Until they get a chance to sort it out, they won't know who the good guys are. While the officers may strongly approve of your actions, they will have to enforce the law. This will most likely result in your arrest. With the aid of a good attorney and an understanding judge, you may not come out that much worse for the experience. No good deed goes unpunished!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline kbmoly

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2003, 06:07:21 AM »
Hello again Mr. Savage,

>I have never advocated turning your back on a threat, never, ever! There are ways to disengage without having to do this.

The only way I know to effect an safe disengagement from a life threatening situation is to neutralize it as quickly as possible.  If I can do that by sobering up an agressive drunk by letting him see the muzzle of a pistol, well and good.  If it requires more direct action, so be it.  

>Should this happen, just remember to carefully follow the commands of the responding officers. Until they get a chance to sort it out, they won't know who the good guys are.

As I said, I don't think I'm a complete idiot.  If there are armed officers present, much - if not all - of the danger to my life from a perp will have abated.  It does not strike me as particularly wise to then endanger my life again by appearing to BE an armed perp to said officers.  But again, I have never encountered a life threatening while armed officers were present.  For some odd reason, aggressors tend to select moments when they think their victims are unsuspecting or at least defenseless.

You might be interested in an illustration or two.  I was once driving on a two lane (one each way) road which opened out into a four lane after a mile or so.  It was a bright, sunny day, and I hadn't a care in the world.  But after the road widened, a white van sped past me, and a guy in the passenger seat leaned out of the window and tossed a string of really angry and unsociable comments at me as they passed.  

I thought "Who is that guy, and what in the world is he upset about?  I wonder what the heck is going on!"  But the van disappeared around a curve, and I just shrugged and figured that whatever it was, it was gone with the van.  But when I went around the same curve, I found the van stopped at a trafic light, and apparently waiting for me.  When I stopped, the side door slammed open and the passinger jumped out with a tire iron and started for my car, expanding enthusiastically on his earlier profanity.

This was in a CCW state, and I was licensed and armed.  When he got close enough to see it, I just laid the barrel of a .357 across the windowsil, thumbed the hammer back and calmly said "All I want is your fingerprint on the door handle when the cops get here."  He stopped like he'd hit a brick wall.  His eyes got as big as golf balls, he dropped the tire iron, slowly turned around and walked back to the van, got in, shut the side door, climbed into the passinger seat, and stared straight ahead until the light changed and they took off.  Not another word, look or gesture from him.  

That was the end of it.  To this day, I don't know if he mistook me for the guy that got his sister in trouble, or just what his grievance was.  To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen him before or since.  But I do know that he intended to do me serious harm, and that I had no intention of turning away from him.  

I've experienced a number of similar episodes of unexpected and unprovoked danger, though they varied considerably in detail.  Some involved dangerous four legged animals, some involved dangerous two legged animals.  But they did not vary all that much in deadly potential.  The only safe way to disengage from them that I've ever found requires neutralization of the threat first.  I have attempted such disengagement without neutralizing the threat, and in my experience, a perp - or a deeply growling dog, or a pasture bull - simply takes it for a sign of weakness, and I have only had to deal with a higher threat level as a result.  

- and those experiences have developed an intense interest in being sure that I CAN neutralize such hazards.  One really needs a pistol very, very seldom.  Perhaps not more than once or twice in a lifetime, if one is fortunate.  But when you DO need it, you need it very, very badly.  And if you don't have it, you may not have any more lifetime either.  I intend to have it.  

Regards,
kbmoly
Cast bullet enthusiast, former gunsmith, Reload for just about all common calibers, and a few very uncommon ones.

Offline Savage

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2003, 07:12:22 AM »
kmoly,
Best of luck to you.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline reelhook

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
carry guns
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2003, 10:23:08 AM »
choice is for summer- Kahr PM9 and other times-Kahr T9

Offline kbmoly

You surprise me, Mr. Savage.
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2003, 05:44:22 AM »
When you said
>>I have never advocated turning your back on a threat, never, ever! There are ways to disengage without having to do this.

I responded

>The only way I know to effect an safe disengagement from a life threatening situation is to neutralize it as quickly as possible.

... and I gave an example of a situation where I saw no safe way to deal with an unprovoked aggression by disengaging without confrontation.  

I fully expected you to support your statement that there are ways to disengage without turning my back or confrontation by suggesting a different course of action than the one I took.  To recap:  I was trapped in a stopped car by an apparently irrational and violent individual intent on doing me serious physical harm.  

Blocking vehicles made it impossible for me to drive away, and the construction of the seating (deep buckets separated by gear shifts and emergency brake handles) made lateral shifting difficult at best, and virtually impossible without turning away from the situation and blindsiding myself.  In any case, I could not have scooted across the seating and opened the other door before he could have opened my door.  

From my perspective, I would have been morally and legally justified in shooting him, or even running over him with my car.  But I was able to control the threat less violently by presenting a potent counter-threat to intimidate him into backing off.  

Remember, this confrontation took space within less than a minute, and I had essentially no time to consider alternatives or take steps to avoid it.  I simply had to react effectively - and quickly - to the situation I found myself in.  

What else would you suggest I might have done to disengage safely?

kbmoly

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Using your smarts
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2003, 04:34:51 AM »
Fellas, and especially kbmoly and Savage - I always go armed in my own defense.  I follow three golden rules:  (1) Never go lookin' for trouble because you won't have any grounds for complaint if it overwhelms you; (2) Don't ever start a fight but don't ever walk away from one - my Mom told me that but only after she saw her favorite uncle hit from behind after walking away from one; and (3) keep calm and squeeze the trigger.

A friend once asked me if I would stop to assist a Police Officer who is under fire.  Normally, yes!  I consider that one of my responsibilities as an armed citizen.  Would I assist my State Police - absolutely, and without hesitation.  Would I do the same for my County Sheriff - absolutely, without hesitation and especially if they indicated they could use the help.  Would I assist my City Police Department - man, don't ask me to go there.  The degree of arrogance and lack of trust in those people is frightening.  The impression is they would as soon club you or shoot you in the back while you were assisting, than to even tell you it was ok for you to break off the fight.  Lord help you if you ever did assist and fired shots - your treatment at their hands would be worse than the way they would treat someone who shot one of their own.  

Under only one circumstance would I assist a city Police Officer - that would be if he/she had been hit and was down, and the shooter was advancing to fire the finishing shot.  I would shoot to defend the officer and then get the hell out of there, hopefully before anyone could recognize me, get a license plate number/description of my car or me.  I would call for assistance for the officer, then contact my attorney and instruct him to place a pre-emptive call to the NRA for legal assistance because they would most likely try and fry me.  

Would it be worth it to assist one of my City Police Officers - Nope!  They would victimize me worse than the family of the shooter would villify me.  

The impression is they would rather attend a formal funeral than to thank a civilian for assisting.  In my city that's a pretty danged accurate impression, and that's shameful.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2003, 05:10:30 AM »
Mikey,
Well said!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline kbmoly

Your Mom and my Grandpa would've gotten along fine ...
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2003, 06:02:16 AM »
I like your rules.  

>three golden rules:
(1) Never go lookin' for trouble because you won't have any grounds for complaint if it overwhelms you;
(2) Don't ever start a fight but don't ever walk away from one
- my Mom told me that but only after she saw her favorite uncle hit from behind after walking away from one; and
(3) keep calm and squeeze the trigger.

My version of #1 is "Never go looking for trouble, and avoid it if you can.  But if it comes looking for you, give it all it can use, and then some, so's it'll think twice before coming back for any more."  In particular, rule two has been my own experience.  I have not had to squeze the trigger yet, but on several ocassions, I am convinced it was only because it was very obvious that I was ready and willing to do so.  

On the general subject of self defense ... When I was a youngster in grade school, bewildered and harrassed by schoolyard bullies, my grandfather gave me some advice that has defined much of my life.  You might enjoy it, and I will try to render it exactly as it was given to me:

He said " Wal, ya should try hard to never git inter a pissin' contest with a skunk.  'Cause if'n ya do, yer gonna lose bad, even if'n ya win...

... but on the other hand, if'n yer walkin' down the street, minding yer own business, and some skunk pisses on ya, well, then ya ain't got much to lose do ya?  Fergit about fair play and jest do whatever it takes to win.  'N when ye've won, teach that skunk a lesson in manners, and do it in a way thet fer twenty miles, momma skunks will use yer name to skeer thar youngin' skunks inter behaving.  Ye'll find that frum then on, other skunks will step off the sidewalk into the mud and let ya pass in peace.  "

My grandfather wasn't deeply schooled in a classroom, but he was very wise regarding human behavior and personality traits.  He was well respected in his community, and seldom had any serious conflicts.  I have found his advice to be as good today as it was then.  It has contributed much tranquility to my own life.  

kbmoly

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Rules
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2003, 08:34:01 AM »
kbmoly:  Your Grandad sounds like a heck of a guy and I like the advice he gave you.

Your last line regarding tranquility reminds me of something I once told my youngest neice when she informed me that she had taken up yoga to help find peace of mind.  I told her how proud I was of her and then offered 3 fatherly pieces of advice:  (1) never trust the intentions of an older man until he has made them known to you (I had no idea that at the time she had been seeing one for quite a while); (2) Never buy a watchdog who snores louder than you do, and (3) if you want peace of mind, buy a 38 snubnose.

Thanks kb, have a good weekend.

Offline kbmoly

Grandpa was a hoot.
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2003, 09:33:25 AM »
That old man taught me everything from checkers to morality when I was a kid.  He sat on the front porch and poured his homespun philosophy into me like he would pour water into an empty pitcher.  I have found very little of his council that could be improved on.

One story about him that deals with the self defense topic was told me by another person, many years later, who witnessed the incident.  Seems grandpa was out squirrel hunting one summer, as a young man.  He was apparently doing well, because he ran out of ammo, and walked back into town to buy more shotgun shells.  This was back when all shotgun shells were loaded with black or semi-smokless powders, and I believe his were black powder loads from what ensued.  It was also in a day when a young man walking down the street with a double barrelled shotgun was no cause for alarm or even comment, other than to wish him good luck in the woods.

Seems another young man had designs on the young lady who later became my grandmother, and had told grandpa to stay away from her, or he threatened to give Grandpa a good beating ... called a thrashing at the time.  Anyhow, grandpa was talking politely with the store clerk, and he happened to glance out of the storefront window and saw the other guy walking toward the store with a billy club of some sort in his hand.  

Remember that this was in a day when everyone knew how to handle a loaded gun safely, and all guns were presumed loaded ... because they usually WERE loaded.  Grandpa simply opened his loaded shotgun and quickly cut the shot off of the two shells he'd dropped in it, and rechambered them.  Then he stood there and waited.  His competitor snapped the door of the store open, and snarled something to the effect that "Now I've got you, and I'm going to ..."  That was about as far as he got before grandpa snapped the double closed and quite deliberately shot him twice in the stomach.

The wads didn't do the guy much in the way of serious harm.  At least, my informant didn't mention any.  But they must have left quite a welt and hurt like BLEEP.   The guy went white as a sheet and dropped to the floor like a rock.  Grandpa just apologized to the clerk for smoking up his store, stepped over the guy with the billy club (who was moaning on the floor) and went back to his squirrel hunting.  

Grandpa never had any more trouble with that guy either, for some odd reason.  (Some folks just need to have things explained to them in terms they can understand.)  I guess he must have developed other romantic interests.  

For that matter, he didn't have any trouble with the police over it either.  In those days, cops had some common sense regarding obvious self defense situations.  Especially when there were plenty of witnesses to testify that Grandpa was being attacked with a club.  

Avoiding threatening situations is just good sense when you have the option.  But once you find yourself in a threatening situation, attempting to disengage before neutralizing that threat seems like a very bad idea to me, as it did to your mother and uncle.  And, obviously, to my grandfather.  

kbmoly

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2003, 04:33:19 AM »
:D  Greetings everyone...

I carry a S&W 3906 and most days use UC Compression Shirt this shirt has slots for extra mags and an extra BUG if you desire.  Works right or left handed, and is much better than the Kramer.

It will conceal sub-compacts as well as fullsize.

I wish I could attach a digital photo of my carry gun as well as my last target I shot with it.

Offline Dragon31

• Avid Poster
ccw
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2003, 05:47:51 AM »
I carry a Beretta 21A .22 cal long rifle.  Right rear pocket of my jeans.  Sig 232, .380 in the glove box of the truck.

Offline ddivers

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2003, 02:29:11 PM »
Ruger Speed Six, .357 Mag. 2 3/4 inch barrel.
Andrew Divers

Offline ghostZ

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2003, 04:56:44 AM »
Normal days I carry a HK USP Compact .40 in a belt/hip holster.  When it is warm out or I am on the bike where my jacket rides up to my belt line I carry a Taurus PT111 in 9mm.  It is small enough to throw in a jacket pocket or slip on my belt.

Offline Highplainsman

Favorite Carry
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2003, 08:43:18 AM »
:D  :D Any one or more of the following: Kel-TecP3AT, S&W mdl 37, Glock G23, Kimber Pro Carry CDP. Or anything else I may own at the moment. The KT always either as backup to one or more of the others or by itself depending on weather dress and inclination. 8)

Offline 4xdakota

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2003, 08:19:45 PM »
Kimber ultra compact 165 gr hydroshocks

Offline Ruger4Me

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2004, 09:55:38 AM »
While living in NY and PA,

I carried a custom Colt 1911 Officers .45, or a .357mag American Derringer.

Offline Tc300mag1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2004, 03:14:53 PM »
Soon as i get my CCW getting ready to take the Class.. It will be my HK usp 45

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2004, 06:22:30 PM »
S & W  mod 386  .357 mag..............Rick                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        "I never point my gun unless I intead to shoot and I never shoot unless I intead to kill."
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Savage

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2004, 03:12:07 AM »
ihuntbucks,
Might want to reconsider your action plan. I have on at least two occasions, while in civilian clothers, presented and indexed my weapon in the direction of the threat. On both occasions, I prevented a potential killing. The gun can be a great deterent. I'm not saying to pull a gun everytime you feel threatened. Reserve that action for the times when a violent/deadly confrontation is about to take place and cannot be avoided. That is the time to show them your intent. If the threat is already showing a weapon, the time for posturing and talking is past. Sudden and violent action is required. Just remember, even in a justified shooting, there are no winners. If criminal charges are not filed, civil litigation is almost sure to follow.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline encoreshooter

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2004, 10:53:52 AM »
Depends on where I'm going, and what I'm doing.  Either a Ruger GP100 stoked with Winchester Silvertips, a Glock 19 or 26 (both with Cor-Bon 115+p), or for ultra-concealed carry, a NAA Black Widow in .22 mag.  You may even find me toting any combination of the above at any one time.  I have shot all these enough to have confidence in all of them.  

Never had to draw my weapon in response to a threat and I would like to keep it that way.  However, should the occasion arise,  I would not hesitate.  Let the bad guys prey on the sheep.  I prefer to run with the wolves.

encoreshooter

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2004, 06:08:36 PM »
Mine is a Para Ordance 12/45 duo tone. Compact accurate with 185 Golden Saber +p loads. Twelve in the mag and one in the pipe of good ammo is a very comfortable feeling. This piticular pistol fits me very well.
Rick

Offline IntrepidWizard

Carrying over 50 years
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2004, 06:09:27 AM »
Mostly 1911's,now a CGP model Colt ,but a boot gun has been a 1939 Chromed Walther PP 32 that never quits working,befor the CGP I carried and still shoot a Bob Chow'ed 1911 Colt.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline yotehunter

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2004, 03:14:08 PM »
My main carry is a 3 inch S&W 629 44 mag.

Offline pshaw

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2004, 11:06:49 AM »
Gee I'm going to sound pretty wimpy on this thread.  With any cover garment (jacket or untucked shirt) its my Kahr P-9 in a Uncle Mikes OWB.  No extra mags.  All other times my Kel-Tec P-32.  House or car its a glock.

Offline tenzilla

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2004, 11:24:37 AM »
Mine is a Glock Model 23 stoked with CorBon 135gr. JHP`s.  On really hot days I`ll go light and carry my Glock 27.  On days when the world looks like it might end, I`ll carry my Glock 20, and the two .40`s.  That trio with spare mags ought to be able to get me back to my rear echelon...where more serious artillery awaits!   8)  tenzilla
terminal ballistics---facts caused by the whacks

Offline Dakota Confederate

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2004, 12:24:51 AM »
Depends on the time of year.  In the winter when I wear a heavy jacket and heavy gloves that won't fit into the trigger guard of a lot of sidearms, I prefer my USP-45 cocked-and-locked.  In the summer, the bulk of that H&K doesn't conceal well so I'll switch over to either my Glock 27 or if it's really hot and I'm dressing with little more than my birthday suit, my Colt Mustang.

Offline Don Dick

• Avid Poster
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2004, 05:37:34 AM »
500 S&W mag IWB
Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay awhile and leave footprints on our hearts.  And we are never.  Ever the same.   Authur unknown.  In memory of my son Jonathan.

Offline Topper

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2004, 06:08:02 AM »
If you don't carry it with you it does no good - if it's to bulky, or to obvious to carry concealed what good is it?

I carry a 2 shot .38 caliber Davis Derringer.