Author Topic: What is your CCW weapon of choice?  (Read 22906 times)

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
What is your CCW weapon of choice?
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2004, 11:10:42 AM »
Well---------the Davis is twice as good as a single shot. Still suffers from heavy weight and limited capacity. A seven shot P 3AT is lighter and no larger. That's about the minimum I feel comfortable with, and then only when anything larger is impratical.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 50 cal

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2004, 01:11:43 PM »
Kimber Ultra Carry 45

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2004, 08:56:13 PM »
Banderso, I have the same problem living out here in the People's Republic of Calexico!!  Actually, this is such a paradise that we have NO serious crime and therefore have NO NEED to carry a concealed weapon!!
However, I just this very day paid for a Kimber Pro CDP II .45 Auto and you can bet yer ass its going for a ride!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Steelheader

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2004, 04:00:26 AM »
Normal carry would be the Glock Model 29 with Agrip and Optima 2000 Sight in a Ray's holster loaded with 150 grain Noslers.  For a little lighter gun or for in the pants pocket it is the Kahr P-40.

Offline Cameron

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2004, 06:19:13 PM »
It all depends on the weather.Generally a Glock Model 19 with a NY Trigger(heavier trigger module,and issued to the NY State Police.Good for court defense),Loaded with 17 rounds of Cor Bon 115 Grain JHP with two high capacity spare mags.Night Sights on the Glock as well.Backup is either a S&W Aiweight Centenial,with night sights,two speed strips(Bianchi).The load is 158 grain plus p,semi wadcutter hollow points.
Summer time brings out my HK P7e(2 spare mags) with the same load and a Seecamp 32 auto loaded with 32 silvertips or the centenial and the Seecamp.
Hunting and Fishing in the great outdoors,S&W 629 Mountain Gun 180 Grain 44 Mag Cor Bon 180 grain JHP with 2 speedloaders.

Offline Swat Dude

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2004, 05:56:04 PM »
I just registered for this forum to respond to this thread. I have to say I am pretty shocked at the size of some of the handguns you would consider for concealed carry. I live in Phoenix and it is pretty much warm year round, but even if it wasn't what do you guys do when you go indoors and remove the jacket you were concealing your 1911 under?
I have finally found the gun that makes the most since for around the clock carry and that is my Kel-tec P3AT loaded with Glaser safety slugs. Before you balk at the small caliber, please let me tell that this gun has been on my body except when I'm sleeping, showering, flying or at the gym for the last 95 days in a row! Yes, you heard right, 95 days in a row. Since I got it back from Robar for application of their NP3 Finish, it has been in my front pocket. I carry it alone in my right pocket and I've even become very proficient at digging my car keys and money out of my left pocket with my left hand. In fact, as I sit typing it is resting comfortably in the front pocket of my gym shorts that I just got through wearing to the park to play with my 6 year old. I carry it in a hand made "GURU" leather pocket holster and I have gotten so used to it being in my front pocket, I forget its there on a regular basis.
In the past I have carried a Glock 23, Glock 19, and Glock 27 and more recently, I bought the sweet little Kahr PM9. But with the Glocks, I was always aware, sometimes painfully so, that I was carrying. The Kahr was a little better, but its heavy weight still made it impractical to carry in gym shorts with just the drawstring holding your shorts up.

I still keep my Glock 22C in my safe with a thirty round mag and my AR-15 is also readily available, but man this little Kel-tec is the epitome of convenience. Its just always on me. If someone knocked on the front door later tonight while I'm watching TV, no need to go scrambling to get my gun. Although I do question the ballistics a bit of the .380, I definitely think 7 rounds of the high velocity ammo would give me more than enough time to get on the phone and get something bigger. Plus, after extensive testing with 9mm and .223 rounds before I retired, I would not have regular handgun round loaded in my weapon with my daughter sleeping in the next room. Do you guys have any idea how many pieces of drywall a 9mm will penetrate??? And it just so happens that my bedroom door lies in a direct line of sight of my daughters bed. Anyways, not to ramble, but I challenge anyone to spend the $250 or $300 on this little gem and carry it for a week or two in a decent pocket holster. It was after this I decided to spend almost as much on the finish as I did on the gun because I decided this one would be in my pocket for a long time to come.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2004, 06:23:56 AM »
Most of the time I carry my Glock 27 in an inside the waistband holster. Sometimes I carry my Glock 22 in a regular outside the pants holster. Both pistols are 40 S&W. I shoot Federal 155 gr. Hydra Shock ammo in them also. 8)
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2004, 07:25:39 AM »
My choices seem to fall in the minority here but I pack a SW 640 or either an Interarms Walther PPK/s. I've never had to use them but I feel they would get the job done if need be.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2004, 05:57:12 PM »
When I lived in Colorado, it was my Para-Ordnance P12/45. But since moving to Phoenix, I'm beginning to agree with Swat Dude -- It's already over 100 degrees here; there's only so much clothing I'm going to wear outside without passing out, and the P12 is a little big for under a T-shirt. I like the firepower of the .45, but until/unless I can find an acceptable carry method for the summer months (we have 9 of them here), I'll be looking for something a bit lighter.
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Wes Hardin

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2004, 05:32:42 PM »
Normally my S & W 637 .38 is in my pocket, whether at home, in my vehicle, or whereever.  However, even though I have a CCW permit, due to certain factors there are times when I simply can't take a chance on being made as carrying.  At those times I drop a .32 auto caliber Davis Derringer into my pocket loaded with Winchester Silvertips.  It makes a smaller bulge than my keys.  Also I have my Ruger P97 .45 in my home or vehicle, whichever I am in at the time.
Wes

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2004, 01:03:46 PM »
I have three that get carried, depending on the situation. The most often carried is a S&W 640 Centenniel 38 Special. I also favor either a S&W 64 with a 3" barrel or a Springfield XD 40. All three of these guns are utterly reliable, plenty accurate, and lend themselves to CCW.

Offline patm41

• Avid Poster
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2004, 03:55:38 PM »
Im suprized that no one carried a Ex combloc service pistol..
I ccw a Bulgarian Makarov .. there are excellent  pistols that are 100%
reliable and accurate...small in size , just a little weighty.. I carry mine
in a fobus paddle with good results..

I also from time to time carry a Tokaerov in 9mm or 7.62x25  another
reliable weapon....

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: What is your CCW weapon of choice?
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2004, 07:47:23 PM »
Quote from: Plainsman
LARGE SNIP...........

So what do you tote?

Two for concealed carry:

S&W Airweight® Mdl 37 38 Spec
Taurus® Mdl 617 357 Mag

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
ccw
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2004, 01:34:28 PM »
I like the Taurus 2" 44 sp for a casual carry. Colt series 70 always close by, and a 92fs/ high cap 9mm is in a back pack. Wife has a 32mag 2'' / speed loaders in the purse. Here in the central states we just leave them in the truck, except the purse.
Jim

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: ccw
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2004, 01:51:09 PM »
Quote from: Jim n Iowa
I like the Taurus 2" 44 sp for a casual carry. Colt series 70 always close by, and a 92fs/ high cap 9mm is in a back pack. Wife has a 32mag 2'' / speed loaders in the purse. Here in the central states we just leave them in the truck, except the purse.
Jim

Jim:

I don't fully understand what you mean when you say"we just leave them in the truck".  Does that mean in lieu of taking into the house at the end of the day; or, you don't carry on your person?

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$; just over 50 & brain fart confused.

Regards.............

Dave

Offline Ridge Runner

• Avid Poster
Glock 21
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2004, 08:02:05 AM »
Carry it for work and personal protection.

Offline tonke73

Re: Glock 21
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2004, 06:48:39 AM »
Glock 23 or HK USP compact .40

Offline ABaker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2004, 02:55:53 PM »
I carry an H&K USP Compact in .40. It is fun to shoot, and easy to clean. Also you can slide on a hogue rubber grip for $9.00. That makes it alot more comfortable.
Go out and get yourself a Concealed Weapons License. I did. :wink: :gun4:

Offline Swat Dude

Re: Using your smarts
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2004, 09:16:12 PM »
Quote from: Mikey
Fellas, and especially kbmoly and Savage - I always go armed in my own defense.  I follow three golden rules:  (1) Never go lookin' for trouble because you won't have any grounds for complaint if it overwhelms you; (2) Don't ever start a fight but don't ever walk away from one - my Mom told me that but only after she saw her favorite uncle hit from behind after walking away from one; and (3) keep calm and squeeze the trigger.

A friend once asked me if I would stop to assist a Police Officer who is under fire.  Normally, yes!  I consider that one of my responsibilities as an armed citizen.  Would I assist my State Police - absolutely, and without hesitation.  Would I do the same for my County Sheriff - absolutely, without hesitation and especially if they indicated they could use the help.  Would I assist my City Police Department - man, don't ask me to go there.  The degree of arrogance and lack of trust in those people is frightening.  The impression is they would as soon club you or shoot you in the back while you were assisting, than to even tell you it was ok for you to break off the fight.  Lord help you if you ever did assist and fired shots - your treatment at their hands would be worse than the way they would treat someone who shot one of their own.  

Under only one circumstance would I assist a city Police Officer - that would be if he/she had been hit and was down, and the shooter was advancing to fire the finishing shot.  I would shoot to defend the officer and then get the hell out of there, hopefully before anyone could recognize me, get a license plate number/description of my car or me.  I would call for assistance for the officer, then contact my attorney and instruct him to place a pre-emptive call to the NRA for legal assistance because they would most likely try and fry me.  

Would it be worth it to assist one of my City Police Officers - Nope!  They would victimize me worse than the family of the shooter would villify me.  

The impression is they would rather attend a formal funeral than to thank a civilian for assisting.  In my city that's a pretty danged accurate impression, and that's shameful.  Mikey.

I detect the presence of an event in your life that formed a biased opinion on your part. Sounds like your enthusiasm to do the right thing may have bordered on engaging in vigilante-type behaviour and you got called on it. The only thing that is shameful is your opinion of some probably isolated occurence, in which you happen to be on the wrong end of, and you have applied that view wholeheartedly and across the board to ever member of that group. If you substituted a black man for the "city police officer" in your story, you sir, would be the definition of a bigit.

I may be way off base but that is pretty much what I read into your post.

Offline Totin'a10

carry two!
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2004, 04:14:30 AM »
Thats what I say! For me the N.Y. reload is fastest. Either 2 .44 spls or my beloved Glock 29 and a .44 spl snubby 8) . reload for the 29 is a 15 rounder (DT 155 Gold Dots) 200gr. Gold Dots for the .44s. Y'all be aware and be safe! :D
What goes around comes around!!! 8)

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2004, 11:09:22 AM »
My carry gun of gun of choice is the compact Para .45 ACP I handled in the gun shot today!  Maybe if I buy it and tell the wife it was one I had before we got married!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Gebann

« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2004, 04:57:56 AM »
My CCW gun of choice is the either one of the two I have been carrying since 1957: a Walthers PP or a Walthers PPK, both in 9mm Kurtz (.380).
I carry either one in an inside pants strong side holster.  I like the PPK in the summer since it will also fit in a pocket holster.  I teach the handgun courses that are required for CCW both here in Colorado and Utah.

I have other guns and have carried them from time to time, 32 Auto, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 9mm Luger, 45 Auto, but for everyday carry I like the Walthers. Fits my hand, feels right and I don't have to think about using them (practice and long time use has made them an extension of my hand) and I can place my shots where I want.  

You should carry the gun you can shoot and handle well and most important you should shoot the gun you carry. Practice, Practice, Pratice.

Gebann

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2004, 11:25:06 AM »
When I finally get my permit from Niagara County my gun will be a Springfield XD-9 Sub Compact...I've priced them out and I am just waiting for the go ahead from the government...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Border Bandit

« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2004, 11:55:21 AM »
Sig P239 in 9MM with Winchester Black Talon Ammo. Hogue finger groove grips, AE Nelson leather inside the pant holster.....and watch out brother I be ready for anything  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hvacman

« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2004, 02:10:35 PM »
Smith and Wesson 4040PD, Bianchi IWB holster
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2004, 03:14:06 AM »
Glock 36, M52 Pro Haugen Handgun Leather holster OWB, 185gr HP handloads (or, handpacked as heard on the History Channel :roll: )
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2004, 04:50:09 AM »
It's Steyr M40 for me.
Moderator at www.gunandgame.com

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2004, 01:14:46 PM »
Rossi 38 spl. 2" with barami grips. This gun has been with me daily for some time now (since before 9/11 if i remember right).  Never any problems.

Offline RB Rooson

• Contributor
  • "If you come for mine, be sure to bring yours!"
    • http://www.ptca.00go.com
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2010, 05:28:51 AM »
Most of the time it comes down to comfort.  I carry a SA .357 Magnum alot.....but am not shy about packing a birdshead .22 magnum, a very underestimated pistol.
SASS #16974 - Duelist
SBSS # 1195 (O.G.B.) LXXIX
BOLD # 352

"Everyday I pray to be the man that my dog thinks I am!"

Offline jimster

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2010, 06:27:26 AM »
1911 most times over the years, but lately it's getting heavier than I like, so in warmer weather an older Rossi M38 3" in .38 special seems lighter and is going to get carried more from now on.  Main thing is to have one with you, so whatever it is it needs to feel comfortable and not a pain, otherwise you might think about leaving it home "this time".  I'm keeping my eyes open for an older J frame Smith, seems like the J frames are nice to carry, but if I come across any more Rossi M58's in the paper that are 3" with the windage adjustable rear, I'm going to grab as many of those as I can find that are in good shape, for the price they are a good revolver for what they are.