Author Topic: What is your CCW weapon of choice?  (Read 22922 times)

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
What is your CCW weapon of choice?
« on: November 23, 2002, 09:06:19 AM »
For me it is a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag with a 4" barrel and V-notch rear, fiber optic front bead stoked with Winchester .44Special 200 gr Silvertip HP's.

It rides easily on a belt with a coat, or IWB in a custom leather holster. I carry a double speedloader pouch on the strong side with the same ammo.  18 rounds is WAY MORE than enough for self defense as far as I'm concerned.  But I also tote another 18 rounds in an MTM Ammo Wallet in my back pocket.  Mostly I have this much ammo for incidental shooting and plinking while out and about.  

So what do you tote?
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
ccw
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 12:46:18 PM »
usually a S&W 6906 in a don haum inside wband, with 1 extra clip in l rear pocket, If going to Little Rock 2 extra clips in L rear pocket!  when out on the farm here it could be anything from a S&W 686 model 57 or even a ruger mark 2 depending on what im doing and the one I feel I need to do some shooting with.  Always have a rifle for the yotes handy it was a ruger mark 2 stainless with a 4x12 in 223 until a couple weeks ago when I picked up a howa 1500 in 223 and its been keeping me company when not deer hunting. that usually how the day goes, being retired is ruff but I guess I will make it somehow.  JIM :)

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
CCW GUN
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 02:17:26 AM »
For me it's a Glock 23 with a Fobus paddle holster.  Federal Premium 180 gr Hydra Shok 40 cals. Extra mag in a handcuff combo from Fobus on reaction side...I'm a police officer.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline BubbaP

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 11:20:05 AM »
Colt Combat Commander- 38 super stoked with Silvertip HP's.  Cocked & locked in Bianchi inside the pant thumbreak holster.

Offline Catahoula

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 01:06:06 PM »
My choice is a stainless Springfield 1911 45ACP carried in leather by Wild Bills.  If you haven't checked out his products, you should. I was amazed at how comfortable it is to carry a full size 45 and spair mag all day after receiveing my belt, hoster, and mag carrier.  If dress requires a smaller gun, I'll carry my S&W model 38 airweight in 38 special.

Offline BigDaddyB

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 04:34:47 PM »
I carry a Taurus M445T .44 Special, stoked up with CCI Gold Dots.  These are the only .44 Special rounds I've been able to find in the Ft. Worth area.  The gun is VERY light (19.8oz), and carrys really well.   It's ported, so recoil isn't a problem.  

What I carry it in depends on what I'm wearing.  I have a Kangaroo Carry belly band, Uncle Mikes belt holster and IWB, two different fanny packs, and an old Bianchi shoulder rig.  Leather is rather hard to find for this weapon, but I'm still looking.

I think Taurus may be discontinuing this piece, so they've become quite the steal.  They're the only titanium revolver that I know of that can easily be had for under $400.
brianb

WHEREVER I GO, EVERYONE
IS A LITTLE BIT SAFER BECAUSE I AM THERE.

WHEREVER I AM, ANYONE IN NEED
HAS A FRIEND.

WHENEVER I RETURN HOME, EVERYONE
IS HAPPY I AM THERE.

"The Warrior's Creed"
Robert L. Humphrey

Offline Grinder

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2002, 08:56:30 PM »
There usually isn't much concealing for me.  Thank God I live in Virginia where open carry is legal.

Ruger P95 in a Fobus paddle holster or (when I need to hide it) a Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB.

I sometimes carry the wife's SP101 in 357 Mag or Taurus Millennium in 40 S&W.
NRA Life Member

Offline Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 03:38:11 PM »
I carry a Springfield V10 Ultra Compact 45 ported barrel. It shoots low even at 7 yd. targets. I am attempting to put a Novak rear sight on it to bring the group up to a reasonable point. I stick this piece in my pocket or it is holstered in a modified belt holster. Stuck it in my boot a couple of times too.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2002, 12:18:44 PM »
My full size Kimber or my Glock Mdl 21--------Oh wait!! That's what I wish I carried!!!! Glock Mdl 36 or 19, Kel-tec P-11 or P-32. Sometimes carry a combination of any two of the above Depending on dress and threat level.
Stay safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2002, 04:18:51 PM »
Springfield Armory 1911 in .45 ACP with MMC tritium sights or my S&W Mountain Gun in 44 mag with full moon clips after Wild West Guns milled out the cylinder to accept them.
Isaiah 6:8

Offline kevin

• Avid Poster
carry handgun
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2002, 04:32:01 AM »
:D  for me its a S&W 4506-1 with night sigts in a don hume retention belt slideholster this thing is real fast, done for real practice drawning with it with friends who train and use them every day on the job.
                                                   kevin
TOS violation warning given 4-2-05 Account deactivated 4-5-05. E-mail GB to get reinstated.

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2002, 05:28:53 AM »
Whatever happens to fit under my clothing the best on the day of need.
I am, therefore, I think.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Don M.

Offline cpobb

favorite concealable
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2002, 09:04:13 AM »
I hate to admit it, but my off duty carry weapon of choice is currently a Glock 33 /.357sig. in a custom made version of the Alessi CQB holster, with two spare mags in a weak side carrier. I was never a fan of combat tupperware but I shot this very little, very lightweight gun once and had to have it. I have never had a problem with it and it carries like its not even there.  ( BTW, Pierce mag extensions are a must!)

P.S. My personal soap box issue......carry extra mags! If the need to use your weapon arises, odds are that you won't have anyone around to back you up. Won't you be embarrassed (and dead) if you run out of ammo before the bad guy!

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2002, 11:35:05 AM »
Cpobb,
The best carry gun is the one you carry. I find that weight is as big a factor as size for concealed carry. I am a fairly recent convert to the tupperware. There was a time when all steel was the only way to go----------but now carrying a 2#+ weapon concealed is a chore I'd rather not undertake. Have to confess that I quite frequently carry a Glock mdl 36, with (shudder) one spare mag. Thats only 13 rounds to get back to the car where the real toys are!  Guess I could up the round count by carrying my Glock mdl 19 with one spare mag to 31. Hope I never need more than that!!!!!!!!!
Savage

Offline ricktile

Favorite carry gun
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2002, 10:00:39 AM »
I usually carry a Colt 1991 compact .45 or a Sig P239 9mm.  Both are easy to carry and I carry a Surefire 6P flashlight at night as well.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2002, 01:00:24 PM »
for the shame of you only carrying your light at night! what about the movie theater, store etc.... there are a million uses for those lights! mine ride with me daily! on duty and off all day all night!  good ppct devices! make good blinders,  make great for vehicle checks in high risk jobs ep etc.... re think your tactics! trust me you will find a use for it in the daytime, fires with thick smoke, shall i go on!  air travel oh my!

Offline sundogg1911

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2002, 03:00:57 PM »
My rule of thumb is to carry the most practical weapon for the clothes that i'm wearing. In the winter time (in Pittsburgh) I tend to carry a CZ 40B in a side holster (Under a jacket) in the Spring and the fall it's usually an ultra-lite .38 snubby in a leather cross draw holster (under a light jacket or heavy shirt) this is also a nice setup for driving or rideing my Motorcycle. In the Blistering Summer It's at the very least an NAA Guardian .32 in a sharkskin pocket holser.
 I think the key to all of it is to be comfortable carring, and train hard. If you carry in a pocket holster. practice your presentation from the holster. the same goes for a cross draw. (Be extra carefull with this one, or you'll end up sweeping a lot of people at the range...not a great way to make friends!) if you wear a side holster with a jacket. practice with the jacket on.

Offline Pecos

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2002, 06:58:13 PM »
If I carry a 40, its my ParaOrd LDA 14-40, if my 45 its the Kimber Pro Carry.  

Pecos

Offline ricktile

Surefire
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2002, 08:17:35 AM »
Deputy, You're right.  I never thought of it that way but those surefire lights could come in handy during the day.  Inside a building or possibly even outside they are bright enough to blind people.  I'll start carrying mine all the time when I get back to the States.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2002, 09:38:36 AM »
good idea many good carriers out there for them do ! i have a belt clip on 2 of mine just like a good folding knife! safe trip !

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2002, 04:05:47 PM »
A cocked and locked 1911A1 Series 70 Colt Government Model with home rolled 200 gr.XTP's   :-)
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2002, 04:51:16 PM »
:D Thats why I carry generally two guns,and a eload for the primary..which is  my GLOCK 19 most of the time.  Or my 10mm,or/and my little snubbie (kinda rare tho),  Also a fixed blade,and a one hander blade.  All in all,im kinda set fer going into  anything from a bad guy to  BERUIT.  Im a retired deputy.   :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2002, 03:51:04 AM »
sound as bad as me! in the event i nned to travel to a small third world nation or just going to detroit! i'am well covered

Offline Savage

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2002, 05:04:34 AM »
Guess I've gotten old and careless. I rarely carry more than two guns, a flashlight, and a combat folder--------\
Usually the two don't go together, Old and Careless that is-------

Offline leadbutt

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2002, 11:57:53 AM »
For me its a Sig 220 in 38 super all day every day,backed up by a S&W 60
in the right front pants pocket, and a Kel-Tec-32 either on a neck chain or in the vest pocket .
"Just another day in Oz"

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2002, 09:41:30 AM »
I carry different guns for different situations years ago at night fishing on the beach it was my springfield armory 45acp(silver-tip) w/6 magazines and a box of shells in the car, on my bike at night its my ruger redhawk 5 1/2" bbl. 44mg(200gr jhp) w/two speedloaders,  in the winter i carry my ruger redhawk 7 1/2" bbl.  shoulder hostered(long coats),  and fishing in the summertime its my ruger 357mg(125 jhp) 2 3/4" bbl in the pants holster. I have both my 44's sited in at 100yds.           BigBill

I like to think of it as talking them for a breath of fresh air, for a walk and hope i never have to use it.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2002, 08:16:25 PM »
90% of the time it's a smith mdl 60 .38 special in a leather bianchi cross draw loaded with 110 gr XTP handloads with 5 extra rounds on a speed strip in a front pocket. Occasionaly carry a Standard Arms compact .40 in a G&G S.O.B holster. For strictly "Get off of Me" purposes a Davis Arms derringer in .38 loaded with Glasser prefragmented ammo is always accessible in a front pocket holster. During deer season or while fishing and backpacking it's a Charter Arms Target Bulldog with a 4" barrel in .44 special loaded with 200gr Gold Dot Hollowpoints or 190gr Cast handloads in a Hunter 1100 series holster.  

Frog
 :D
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2003, 01:45:12 PM »
I usually carry a plain-jane, boring, Ruger P95DC in a Don Hume, belt width, pancake holster.
I have, while on my way to go hunting, carried my 480 Blackhawk in a shoulder holster. Then put it in a exposed belt holster while hunting.
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline banderso

ccw
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2003, 02:03:52 AM »
This is so interesting.
You should live in Illinois.
Apparently the government believes I cannot defend myself.

Its so wonderful knowing help is only a 911 call away.
Banderso
WHAnderson

Offline boneguru

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
glock 23
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2003, 07:13:07 AM »
I carry a model 23, use the clipdraw, absolutely love it
SUA SPONTE