Author Topic: What is your CCW weapon of choice?  (Read 22917 times)

Offline muddhen

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: What is your CCW weapon of choice?
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2010, 10:25:03 AM »
sig P238,

Offline Rock Home Isle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2010, 02:42:09 PM »

So what do you tote?

In the winter, when my outer garb is bulkier, I carry either an HS-2000 (9mm) or a Springfield XD Tactical (9mm or .40 Smith). Any of these guns work great. I like the 9mm because its cheaper to shoot and maintain my accuracy, but I prefer the .40 for its better ballistics and terminal power. Both guns will fit nicely into my Don Hume holster.

In the summer it a little harder to carry concealed, so I choose either a Kahr K9 (9mm) or an old Star Firestar (9mm), imported by Interarms. The Star is a single action semi-auto...so I'll take it out and shoot it quite a bit before I start to carry it regularly. Both the Star and K9 fit nicely into a De Santis Holster, and are very concealed even on the hottest day. I like to dress comfortably.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Lt Smoke

« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »
1911 45 acp.....................
There allways will be hard things in your life. The only sad thing you will ever face is giving up.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2010, 10:17:21 PM »
For me it is a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag with a 4" barrel and V-notch rear, fiber optic front bead stoked with Winchester .44Special 200 gr Silvertip HP's.

It rides easily on a belt with a coat, or IWB in a custom leather holster. I carry a double speedloader pouch on the strong side with the same ammo.  18 rounds is WAY MORE than enough for self defense as far as I'm concerned.  But I also tote another 18 rounds in an MTM Ammo Wallet in my back pocket.  Mostly I have this much ammo for incidental shooting and plinking while out and about.  

So what do you tote?

I have a question,and don't take it the wrong way,I'm not saying its a bad choice. Im just curious why you wouldn't want something lighter. It just seems that (as I presume you agree,since your loading 44 special) 44mag is too big for self defense. That being said,you have a gun that's built to shoot that,and therefore much heavier and larger than something that was made to shoot 44special. The 44 special from my reloading manual seems to be similar to a 45 auto (at least the 220 and 230 grain ones) which is what I prefer,so the ballistics seem very good. It just seems that a Redhawk is sort of bulky. I am currently shopping for something to take fishing and hiking, and that's exactly why I tend to pass up the Redhawks I see in my price range. (They are invariably 44magnum,and if I was going to go with the extra bulk,I would go with something heavier,of course my potential attackers are of the four legged variety,although I understand they are rather scary on two legs as well.  :o ) Of course concealment isn't an issue here as I can carry openly here if it makes more sense (and the cops don't even mess with you over it! Got pulled over the other day,told him I had a gun,he took my gun (which was plainly visible and in no way concealed) and put it on top of the car while he was writing the ticket (took forever,I'm sure he was checking my permit) then put it back on the passenger seat through the passenger window and that was it. My current favorite is the Super Blackhawk with the 7.5" barrel. Its not cartoon length like the 10" models and its reasonably light (for what it is) and reloading isn't that much of a concern. (If six buffalo bore 44 magnum +p+ rounds don't put it down,my guess is that Ill be dead before I could reload anyway.)
  Still,for concealment and for carrying it seems like a Redhawk is more gun than you need for what your shooting and you would be better off with "just enough gun" to shoot those 44 specials. Im curious I guess what advantages you find in the Redhawk vs something a little smaller.

Offline dbriannelson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2010, 06:05:04 PM »

That J-frame is interchangeable with several others, but the Kimber is the only auto I'll carry. 

-Don
Semper Fi.  (1803/0210)

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2010, 11:41:46 AM »
50 caliber, S&W.  :P
" we are screwed "

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2010, 09:52:29 AM »
After carrying a few, I went back to a full size, Para P16/40.  I use a composite belt clip holster which also can be used as a inside the waist band rig if you want. (I am already to fat for my pants so that didn't work)  The Para was like new when I bought it and someone had spent $$$ on it by adding an adjustable trigger, ambi saftey, custom grip safety and a aluminum mag well.  It is surprisingly comfortable even carried heavy with the 16 round clip, ( I usually carry with a 10).  The 40 S&W will do most everything a 45 will do without the wieght and will out stop the 9mm all day.
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline ChrisG19

« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2010, 01:11:42 PM »
Glock 19 in either a Sidearmor IWB or RM Holsters paddle.  Ammunition is either Speer Gold Dot 124 +p or Winchester Ranger 127 +p+.

Offline glockman55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2010, 02:57:30 AM »
Mine is a Glock 23...40 cal and or a Sig 232, .380 cal.
Glock 23  http://obamaclock.org/
Sig. Ultra Compact 1911
Sig. P-232
Sig. P-238

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2010, 06:58:44 AM »
Well, ... there be choice and there be necessity...  :-\  For daily carry I carry the same S&W M49 BodyGuard I have carried for 37 odd years.  This is by necessity since anything bigger gets uncomfortable for me to carry concieled unless in a hip holster.

However, when I have a choice I carry my snub nosed Taurus Tracker 44 Mag. loaded to warm 44 Spl. specs.    :P

All my other handguns I shoot for chuckles.  The two revolvers are my SD choices.  Them plastic auto jammers are just a passing fad...  ;) ;D

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »
Been carrying a Glock 22, 40 cal. for the last five years, and just recently bought a KelTec P3AT .380 to carry in my front pocket.

All too often recently I'd leave the Glock at home on those quick trips, and although I know the Glock will do anything I need it to do, it was doing me little good when it was left at home, so hopefully the little KelTec will be either in my front pocket, or in my boot at all times.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2010, 07:43:26 PM »
I know the Glock will do anything I need it to do

My 1911 gets up 30 minutes earlier than I do,puts on a pot of coffee and makes me pancakes. Tell me your Glock can do THAT!

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »
Well no, but at least I don't have to deal with PMS. :o
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2010, 10:05:14 AM »
S&W 340 PD w/357mag. 125 gr JHP . Yea it hurts on both ends . But at 12 ozs + ammo it is a pleasure to tote .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »
I was carrying a glock 21 but it's not easily concealed. I just picked up a S&W 642 airweight, 5-shot 38 special+p. I put it in an uncle mikes pocket holster and hardly even know it's there.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2010, 06:58:21 PM »

LOL  thats funny !    Thanks
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline trex1310

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »
I carry a Colt Detective Special 2" 38 Spl. I'm an old timer I guess.
NRA Life Member / Vietnam Vet
Certified in laziness
Certified in watching TV
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »

I just tell her no,she hasnt been eating too many premium hollow points,and that she has a nice slim 8 round magazine and no,those grips dont make her look fat,and shes happy.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »

I just tell her no,she hasnt been eating too many premium hollow points,and that she has a nice slim 8 round magazine and no,those grips dont make her look fat,and shes happy.

LOL   Thats even better!   :D
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2010, 02:44:30 PM »

LOL   Thats even better!   :D

Its just nowhere near as big of a lie as if I had a Glock.

Offline NateS

« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2010, 06:19:28 AM »
SA XD9SC...in a crossbred supertuck.  That's the primary holster, but I do use others at times.  The XD is always there, however.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2010, 05:05:14 AM »
Most days if I'm going out I'll slip my little Ruger LCP in my pocket.
If I'm going somewhere that may have lots of people I'll pack my Kahr CW45.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Dorado

« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:26 AM »
I'm kind new to CC, but since March my sp101 .357 (2.25" spur less hammer) has been on my belt in an inside the waist ban holster, so far I'm happy with it, a lil heavy but I've gotten used to it.

Offline jebb45

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2010, 11:34:19 AM »
Been carrying a 3 3/4 stainless SBH for over 10 years. 240 gr semi-wadcutters in factory loads, and carry it in a high ride cross draw holster that I built. Have never had to use it, but when the need arises, it will only take  1 maybe 2 rounds, then the paper work starts, hope no one has to go thru that. Thru my training I would not hesitate to use it without question.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »
In the summer I carry two, unless going into a known bad area, then I carry three. In cooler weather I always carry three. Quicker to grab another weapon than reload.

Kel Tec P-32 Navy Blue with Hard Chrome slide (Load 7 + 1 - Remington 70gr FMJ .32 Auto)

Cobra 9mm Luger (Load 2 - Hornady Custom 9mm Luger 124gr JHP/XTP)

Para Ordnance P10 Compact .45  (Load 10 + 1 - Hornady Custom .45 ACP 200gr JHP/XTP)

Offline HarryRichardson

« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2010, 04:37:48 AM »
I've been carrying a Ruger SR9, but the next time I go down the hill to town, I'm gonna get the compact version (if they have one in the black finish).
This pistol I have now has yet to fail to fire-maybe I'll get lucky with the SR9c as well! :)
May He say, "Well done..."

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »
Yesterday I got rid of the derringer, shown two posts up, and replaced it with this;

Kel Tec PF9. I carry it with 1 round in the chamber and 7 in the mag, Hornady Custom  9mm Luger 124 gr. JHP/XTP
The holster is made by Holster Kings.

Offline bubba15301

• Avid Poster
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
1851 navy .36 cal
BUBBA

Offline troglodyte

« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »
Springfield XD9SC. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2010, 02:05:07 AM »
The "Sub Compact" designation of the XDs and Glocks is laughable!!!   :D Although they are both good pistols, they are waaaaaaaaaaaay too large to even be called "Compact"
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,