Author Topic: RAMPS!  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
RAMPS!
« on: May 16, 2022, 07:13:25 AM »
Swung by my secret ramp spot this morning which coincidentally is on public hunting grounds that is heavily hunted for turkey, but everyone walks right by the ramps...  There are literally thousands of ramps in this area, by far the best spot that I know of.   Looking forward to smoked venison shoulder with sauteed leaks and potato ramp soup tonight!

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: RAMPS!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 09:01:35 AM »
I love potato soup.
So are ramps a direct substitute for onions??
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 09:58:28 AM »
I love potato soup.
So are ramps a direct substitute for onions??

Yes the are.  They have an onion/garlic combo flavor with the tops being milder than the very firm white bulbs.  They are a treat!  And also quite expensive if you have to buy them.  I'm also going to dry some leaves and pickles some bulbs.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Mule 11

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 11:00:31 AM »
Onions and garlic how disgusting. I go through about 100#’s a year combined. Close anyways...

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 12:17:27 PM »
  My back woods is full of them, I do dig a few to use.

DM

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 05:44:53 PM »
I was going to plant some but I totally lacked the, OH BOY, feeling I usually have for gardening and actually forgot the items I had ordered online and had to look at my E mail to see what they were.

I am having nasty pain in my calves now, that came and went a couple weeks ago, so gardening at least at the end of the day is turly painful.
I have to, not way not to, due my South Garden tomorrow but will take a half-dozen or so of the othe half's Tramadol along with me.
It does not hurt when I use the muscles, but when I relax; some times the sharp pain almost make my legs give.

I was using those and anther prescription, non addicting pain killer, but being stupid I took them one night on a near empty stomach and gave my self an ulcer again so I cannot just pop them every day like I did.

Offline ulav8r

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 04:56:12 PM »
A short search shows that they grow in the Appalachians and Great Lakes regions.  Do they grow in any other parts of the country?