Author Topic: Politician wants debt forgiveness..  (Read 919 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Politician wants debt forgiveness..
« on: May 27, 2022, 04:20:05 AM »
Democrat Erik lynn, running for congress from Florida, wants his college debt forgiven, to be paid for byus..

https://freebeacon.com/democrats/this-florida-dem-wants-taxpayers-to-cover-his-10k-in-student-debt/

Now, I was looking at a new pickup the other day, and it was nice.  I have reviewsed my accounts,considered the interest and payments, and decided that spending $ 55,000 for one right now, would not be in my own best interest.

However, if I get carried away, and buy one anyway, maybe the Democrats will force others to pay half of it for me.

That isn't unreasonable to expect, is it ?  There are millions of people out there in flyover country, who can work a few extra hours each week to pay MY bills.  How could such a good plan go wrong?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Politiian wants debt forgiveness..
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 04:50:09 AM »
  I dont know what the average student debt is , But I suspect 10 grand  amounts to no more than a down payment .   Just buying votes and influencing people.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 05:21:24 AM »
I've heard that many student debts are over $100,000
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 08:29:09 AM »
They're buying votes with taxpayer money....your money.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Re: Politician wants debt forgiveness..
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 11:47:40 AM »
 A couple of my grandsons had college debts in the teens..like about $17,000, but they are almost done paying them off.

Now the government/acdemia complex now wants the rest of us to pay them off..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 01:13:11 PM »
A relative was an exemplary student in
public school and received a scholarship.
Maybe more kids should put their smartphones
away and study harder and not be trying
for high score on all the video games
and learn to read and write properly
and legibly. Books aren't obsolete
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 10:05:24 PM »
our half of my wifes sons loan was 30k. So between us his cost 60k. Forgive it? Well he and his girlfriend both have cars that are less then 2 years old and pay 17k a month for rent and never eat at home. Id say hes more then capable of paying his half of that loan and probably our half too. All hed have to do is drive a car 5 years old and use his kitchen stove and actually cook and he could probably pay it off in a year or two. Real comical thing is there getting married and the extravagant wedding theyve planned is costing them over 30k. So just getting married at the justice of the peace or like we did in front of our priest with no reception would save him enough to pay it off. Id bet my house hes more of the norm then people who cant afford to eat because they have college loans that were for some bs like liberal arts that never got them a good paying job in the first place. Nobody forced the to sign that paper or go to college. He could have done like i did and went in the service and learned a trade or made him qualified for the GI bill. I probabaly shouldnt be paying half of his loan let alone pay for your kids college.
blue lives matter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 11:52:32 PM »
I borrowed for my education.  I PAID my loans IN FULL.  I have the canceled loan docs.  My family went without benefits while my loans were being paid. 

They borrowed.  They pay it back, PLUS the stipulated interest due.  No exceptions.  "Crushing debt" is the default by their own hand.  Own it.  Deal with it.

The same for the US Government and its people...approaching 40T in debt.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 12:01:52 AM »
our half of my wifes sons loan was 30k. So between us his cost 60k. Forgive it? Well he and his girlfriend both have cars that are less then 2 years old and pay 17k a month for rent and never eat at home. Id say hes more then capable of paying his half of that loan and probably our half too. All hed have to do is drive a car 5 years old and use his kitchen stove and actually cook and he could probably pay it off in a year or two. Real comical thing is there getting married and the extravagant wedding theyve planned is costing them over 30k. So just getting married at the justice of the peace or like we did in front of our priest with no reception would save him enough to pay it off. Id bet my house hes more of the norm then people who cant afford to eat because they have college loans that were for some bs like liberal arts that never got them a good paying job in the first place. Nobody forced the to sign that paper or go to college. He could have done like i did and went in the service and learned a trade or made him qualified for the GI bill. I probabaly shouldnt be paying half of his loan let alone pay for your kids college.

Perhaps I don't get something here.....  ...But why are you still paying his legitimate bills, when he can do so himself?  On second thoight, why is he not volunteering to pay his own bills, now that he can afford to do so ?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 12:07:26 AM »
I borrowed for my education.  I PAID my loans IN FULL.  I have the canceled loan docs.  My family went without benefits while my loans were being paid. 

They borrowed.  They pay it back, PLUS the stipulated interest due.  No exceptions.  "Crushing debt" is the default by their own hand.  Own it.  Deal with it.

The same for the US Government and its people...approaching 40T in debt.

Way back when, I could not afford college, so lived life without it...and managed.  Sure, I earned some college credits along the way, plus, there are other way to get an education..just a matter of ..reading, studying, and practical application.

There are other ways of getting..or rather, earning an education.  Today, a young man or woman can serve a few years with the military,and obtain college that way.

Biden is bound we will pay off $10k of anyone's college debt, for those who need it. Still, there are some ingrates for whom even that much is not enough!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/aoc-says-biden-s-student-debt-relief-plan-could-be-better/ar-AAXOYG3   

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 04:05:57 AM »
IG...in no way did I mean any disrespect for those that went to some or no college.  College assures nothing. 

Grit, tenacity, persistence, patience, and the Good Graces God and our parents gave us helped us through this life.  The "ingrates", many of whom are from affluent families, "woke up" one morning with some useless college degrees and a heavy load of debt, then went crying for someone to "save" them.  It has always been, and will forever be, this World owes none of us one thing. 

Mother Nature is a cruel Mistress.  If you don't work, you don't eat.  If you don't eat, you die.  Pitifully, the cockroaches among us, the ingrates, the Politicians, the "reparationists", the racists, etc., will continue to live off of the backs of the Middle Class while selling "help" to the Poor and actually doing NOTHING for them.

The breakdown of the Family is what has ruined this country.  Lots of Single Parent households.  Too much Welfare.  Taking God out of the family, schools, and away from the Public is one of the most ruinous.  Too much of "one person's wokeness" demanding everyone's compliance and worse, government cow-towing to that one.

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 11:52:41 AM »
I know my property tax goes for good causes, so maybe Joe Brandon would like to pay that for me.  Or maybe Joe could explain why the guy that lives down the road in a dump doesn't have to pay the same tax as I have to; he gets all the same services from the state and county.

I have to admit that I don't feel a bit guilty for getting my college paid for by the gubmint.  That was part of the deal for my time in the Navy and Air Force.
Swingem

Offline Casull

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 01:34:48 PM »
Lloyd, where do they live that they pay 17K a month in rent?
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 02:15:23 PM »
IG...in no way did I mean any disrespect for those that went to some or no college.  College assures nothing. 

Grit, tenacity, persistence, patience, and the Good Graces God and our parents gave us helped us through this life.  The "ingrates", many of whom are from affluent families, "woke up" one morning with some useless college degrees and a heavy load of debt, then went crying for someone to "save" them.  It has always been, and will forever be, this World owes none of us one thing. 

Mother Nature is a cruel Mistress.  If you don't work, you don't eat.  If you don't eat, you die.  Pitifully, the cockroaches among us, the ingrates, the Politicians, the "reparationists", the racists, etc., will continue to live off of the backs of the Middle Class while selling "help" to the Poor and actually doing NOTHING for them.

I know you didn't mean disrespect for those who didn't attend college.  While many make good use of their education, there are still others who may as well have went to WORK right out of high school..in fact that may have been just what they were avoiding !  ;)  :D
  Curiously, years ago when someone wished yto brag of his college education..he claimed to be
   'college bred'.  One fellow popped that on a friend of mine, who promptly told him..  "Yeah, college bred..a four year loaf.. on the old man's dough.  Now I guess by Joe, it will be on the public's dough..

The breakdown of the Family is what has ruined this country.  Lots of Single Parent households.  Too much Welfare.  Taking God out of the family, schools, and away from the Public is one of the most ruinous.  Too much of "one person's wokeness" demanding everyone's compliance and worse, government cow-towing to that one]"

^^^THERE^^^... You have scored a direct hit !  Cannot quibble in the least..

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 09:43:18 PM »
Because my wife made the deal with him that she would pay half. Like anything else when i give my word i stick to it. I would have liked to see him man up and offer to pay them but hes a typical liberal and that wont happen. She took out the loan and she works and the money for it comes out of her spending money. We have seperate budgets and what she does with her money is her business and what i do with mine is mine. If i want a new gun i dont have to discuss it with her. So if shes not willing to jump him about it then its really none of my business. I live through another marriage where the wife did the bill paying (with my money) and when i wanted something i had to ask. Today my social security pays the bills. My retirement is mine and her income is hers. Its saves ALOT of arguments.

Perhaps I don't get something here.....  ...But why are you still paying his legitimate bills, when he can do so himself?  On second thoight, why is he not volunteering to pay his own bills, now that he can afford to do so ?
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2022, 09:44:35 PM »
Washington DC and its a small one bedroom apartment that they had to wait for almost 6 months to get in the building. There were people standing in line to take it if they didnt. after looking I appolgize. Its not 17k its 1700. Still outrageous if you ask me. You could own about any home in our country with a 30 year loan and a 1700 dollar a month payment
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2022, 09:50:53 PM »
I never used the GI bill and never went to college. I got a job right out of the service that paid probably more then any college grad around here gets other then a doctor or lawyer. that said you did earn that. It was part of the benifit package you signed up for. Sure doesnt compare to student load forgiveness which is a slap in the face to anyone who served and fought for there country to get there school paid for.
I know my property tax goes for good causes, so maybe Joe Brandon would like to pay that for me.  Or maybe Joe could explain why the guy that lives down the road in a dump doesn't have to pay the same tax as I have to; he gets all the same services from the state and county.

I have to admit that I don't feel a bit guilty for getting my college paid for by the gubmint.  That was part of the deal for my time in the Navy and Air Force.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2022, 03:54:32 AM »
Because my wife made the deal with him that she would pay half. Like anything else when i give my word i stick to it. I would have liked to see him man up and offer to pay them but hes a typical liberal and that wont happen. She took out the loan and she works and the money for it comes out of her spending money. We have seperate budgets and what she does with her money is her business and what i do with mine is mine. If i want a new gun i dont have to discuss it with her. So if shes not willing to jump him about it then its really none of my business. I live through another marriage where the wife did the bill paying (with my money) and when i wanted something i had to ask. Today my social security pays the bills. My retirement is mine and her income is hers. Its saves ALOT of arguments.

I can understand, "a deal is a deal"..and you stick with it.  ..But I still must question a man making great money in Washington..but still allowing his mother to pay his debts.

..But that is the way it is, once people arrive in Washington... ;)   ;D

BTW; not all marriages are the same, but during our 60 year marriage, i never had to check with her, if i wanted a new gun..or conversely, no need to check if she wanted something.
  Of course, neither of us were spendthrifts..

Offline Casull

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2022, 05:48:44 PM »
Washington DC and its a small one bedroom apartment that they had to wait for almost 6 months to get in the building. There were people standing in line to take it if they didnt. after looking I appolgize. Its not 17k its 1700. Still outrageous if you ask me. You could own about any home in our country with a 30 year loan and a 1700 dollar a month payment

Yep, still high.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2022, 08:51:39 PM »
I worked and paid my way through school.  Sometimes had to skip a quarter to get enough money.  Took a while, but I didn't have any student loans.  I went to work at 16 to get money to buy my first car.  Parents were cotton mill workers and couldn't afford to pay, and I didn't want to take out any loans.  Kind of stupid, especially for a French literature degree, or basket weaving degree that most kids get that doesn't pay anything.  Our country needs engineers, doctors, nurses, and good businessmen.  I think student loans should only be given to those pursuing a degree the country needs, not social justice degrees, or liberal arts degrees. 

In Germany only 10% go to college, and about 60% go to a trade school of some type.  They do fine.  We need more trade skill degrees. 
Opelika Portal