Author Topic: Shooting with a thumb ring ?I  (Read 3621 times)

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
Shooting with a thumb ring ?I
« on: July 23, 2022, 02:10:19 AM »
I just ordered a cheap Chinese made Mongolian style horse bow and a copper thumb ring to try out.
This style is all new to me and should be a fun way to practice a new skill in archery.
I am just getting back into traditional archery as I use to shoot recurve bows then tried a longbow for years and have taken deer and hogs with both but just got into other hobbies years ago and quit shooting bows.

My question is there anyone here shooting a thumb draw and do you use a ring or a leather thumb tab or bare thumb ?
The bow I have ordered is a 40 lb. draw but I have long arms and will probably draw it 31 - 32” and believe the bow will stack some and end up being more like 50 lbs.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Shooting with a thumb ring ?I
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 04:35:01 AM »
I just ordered a cheap Chinese made Mongolian style horse bow and a copper thumb ring to try out.
This style is all new to me and should be a fun way to practice a new skill in archery.
I am just getting back into traditional archery as I use to shoot recurve bows then tried a longbow for years and have taken deer and hogs with both but just got into other hobbies years ago and quit shooting bows.

My question is there anyone here shooting a thumb draw and do you use a ring or a leather thumb tab or bare thumb ?
The bow I have ordered is a 40 lb. draw but I have long arms and will probably draw it 31 - 32” and believe the bow will stack some and end up being more like 50 lbs.

jedman
A Chinese thumb ring is Greek to me.:)
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 05:06:22 AM »
i shoot my rage crossbow with a wedding ring on. does that count??
blue lives matter

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 08:44:20 AM »
I was a finger shooter for years, but always used a tab.  Never tried a ring.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 02:05:32 PM »
  I think I have given up the idea of shooting with the thumb draw. I have a brass thumb ring and then bought a leather and metal thumb protector and couldn’t get either to feel comfortable or allow me to hit anywhere near where I am looking when shooting. I am a left handed shooter so I draw with my left hand hold the bow handle with my right. When shooting with a thumb draw you pretty much have to shoot from the opposite side of the bow handle because even though your thumb is drawing the string your index finger lays over the tip of your thumb and creates side torque that holds the arrow against the bow handle. If I shoot from the right side of the handle like I would if I were drawing with conventional finger draw the arrow will consistently fall away from the bow riser as this torque is twisting the arrow and string the opposite way so you need a ambidextrous bow handle which these horse bows have and you rest the arrow on the top of your hand that is holding the bow handle.
All of the examples I have seen online say you must have a very relaxed wrist and try to just relax the thumb / index fingers grip on the string and simply draw the string back. Well easier said then done for me as the string slips off the thumb very easily unless I concentrate on keeping the thumb held from opening with the index finger and the higher poundage I shoot make holding on to the string very hard.  Plus when I do get to full draw and visualize where the tip of the arrow is pointing and try to just instinctively point where I am looking and release with the thumb the arrow flys way to the left of where I think I am pointing.
I can shoot the horse bow(s) as I now have 2 of them with regular split finger draw fairly well and enjoy them but the short overall bow length does magnify any flaws in your shot cycle and you must really concentrate on letting go of the string exactly the same every time to get the arrows to group.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,