Author Topic: FINALLY GOOD GROUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1550 times)

Offline huntsalot

• Trade Count: (0)
FINALLY GOOD GROUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: March 11, 2004, 07:49:38 PM »
This was a 7mm-08 rifle. Ok guys here you go. You know I have been having trouble getting my handi to shoot. Well, I went today and shot some. I followed the advise about resting near the hinge. I shot a group at 1 1/4"!!!!!!!! Thats awesome compared to what it has been doing. I shot a couple more around this. They were in the 1 inch and some range. I was amazed. I put a total of 34 rounds through it today. I am so happy it is unreal. By the way, that smallest group was an 8 shot group. I couldn't believe they were hitting in there like that so I kept shooting to see if it was going to go to pieces and it didn't. Thanks for the help. I hope things continue as they are going. By the way, my load was a 139 grain Hornady SP on top of 45.5 grains of Hodgdon 4350 powder with regular primers and OAL of 2.80". I think I will definately stick with this load. Again, thanks for the help and encouragement.
Whitey
Whitey

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 02:20:58 AM »
Whitey: Ain't like throwing a bolt gun down a set of bags and squeezing the trigger. You've got to do your part, actually they'll make you a better all round shooter. They'll also improve your hunting, you'll consider your shots carefully when you don't have the crutch of a "follow-up shot". To me it's their idiosyncrasies that appeal to me. Enjoy: <>< :grin: Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 02:26:58 AM »
If you cannot see me huntsalot I'm happy for you  :-D !!!. Glad it worked out. When I asked what bullet weight you were using I was interested because bullet weight can make a big difference in accuracy potential when looked at in relation to rate of twist and overall length/chamber length. My 7x57 (7 mm Mauser) Handi seems to like the 139 and 140 grain bullets best. Each of our guns are 7mm/.284 so there is a correlation there.  Have fun and now refine your method of shooting your Handi remembering consistency is the key ....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 03:16:54 AM »
Congrats!!  :toast:

It's always good to see someone turn one into a shooter :sniper:
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 08:09:17 AM »
Way to Go Huntsalot :grin:  :)  :-D  :D  Glad you're getting better groups...you know what they say...if you don't succeed the first time try try again....!!!!
Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 10:24:39 AM »
Way to go.  Persistance pays off.

I took my new 223 Ultra to the range today.  First time shooting it.  Haven't tried a lot of rounds but it HATES the Win value pak :( , too bad cause they're cheap.

So far it LOVES the 35gr (yes I said 35gr) Hornady V-max bullet.  First group with it at 50yds was 3 shot, 2 holes 1'2" apart.  Shot the 100yd target and the group opened up to a whopping 3/4".  Sad thing was I only had 10 of those loaded so I couldn't go far with them.

These look about as aerodynamic as my Jeep, but they sure shoot nice so far.

Can give load info later on.  Right now I have some chores to get done before my date with Momma tonight :grin:
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 10:49:43 AM »
Quote from: handirifle

First group with it at 50yds was 3 shot, 2 holes 1'2" apart.  

Handirifle...  3 shots at 50 yards and only two of them on paper, and the other two a foot and 2 inches away from each other!!!!   :cry:   I hope you find a better load than those 35gr. V-Max soon.  :wink:

I'm sorry I just had to bust your stones, the typo just looked so comical.  :lol:, . I'm sure you meant 1/2" group with two shots thru the same hole.  

Congratulations on your 1/2" and 3/4" groups.  :agree:

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 11:09:02 AM »
Oops, phat pingers!
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 11:15:37 AM »
:grin: Huntsalot, glad to hear that your 7mm-08 improved! I'm interested in that particular rifle, as mine developed a lock up/headspace problem after 15 Remington factory rounds and 15 less than max handloads....(look at my post : "Problem with HandiRifle 1st time out.....") and MY hits actually moved completely OFF the target after several rounds!
Hodgdon lists H4350 as one of the best loads for the 7mm-08, and I have read of some using Varget with success.
Anyway, that is great news, I'm sure we all know how it feels to make a breakthrough like that!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!