Author Topic: Just "won" a new to me Drilling, now what do I do?  (Read 4029 times)

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Just "won" a new to me Drilling, now what do I do?
« on: September 03, 2022, 05:47:02 PM »
Just won a new to me drilling from the thirties. Emil R Martin Drilling 16 GA Item S-172* - Other Shotguns at GunBroker.com : 944639281   The first main thing to look into is what cal. it is. Barrel is reportedly a 9.3 mm, but which cartridge it is, is uncertain. I know that what is prescribed is some kind of chamber cast, but I have never done one and don't know what material to use in doing one. I'd appreciate advice on doing a chamber cast and any advice on owning and operating a drilling since I've never had or touched one before. Thanks to all who respond. gene
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • A Real Regular
Re: Just "won" a new to me Drilling, now what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 06:50:58 PM »
This is what I use to do a chamber cast, in an AR barrel (277 WLV) but should be close, everything except a light hammer and a lead block I use to tap the chamber cast out.

In order to block the bore, I use a gas check, but some use a patch, which works but then you have to get it off the metal to reuse the Cerrosafe later.  I select a gas check that will be about the same as the bore, so it seals well.

I mark the rod so I know the check is just past the ogive,

I spray some release into the chamber, to make it easier to take out, then I put the gas check in, right up to the rifleing to get the entire throat.

I melt the Cerrosafe in a laddle, because it hardens quick, and makes it easier to pour in time.

I pour the metal into the chamber (a little fuzzy), with the AR you have to make sure to stop before the locking lugs or it will be a PITA to take out due to the large mushroom of the cerrosafe.

I put the end of the barrel, chamber side on a block of pure lead so it doesn't mar the barrel, in your case it shouldn't matter since its installed on the rifle.

I then insert the rod into the bore and tap the chamber cast out.  As you can see, the top one is what it should look like, the bottom one was a PITA to get out.

Ok, so take the chamber cast out just a few minutes after pour, because it initially shrinks, then expands to about full size.  I started using an aluminum rod, bent the heck out of it, so used a steel one with an aluminum gas check on the end to protect the bore.  That was the mushroom one, it wouldn't move, either due to too long a time, or the extra large sprue  :o
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 05:44:17 AM »
  I also use Cerrosafe, but once you have that done, if you plan to fire the drilling, you need to find out the condition of the gun and I'm talking about from a smith that knows DRILLINGS not someone who "thinks" they know about drillings.

It's an old drilling, and an important step to make sure firing it won't cause any damage to you or further damage to the gun.

DM

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 02:01:34 PM »
  I also use Cerrosafe, but once you have that done, if you plan to fire the drilling, you need to find out the condition of the gun and I'm talking about from a smith that knows DRILLINGS not someone who "thinks" they know about drillings.

It's an old drilling, and an important step to make sure firing it won't cause any damage to you or further damage to the gun.

DM

Boy. I certainly am hoping to shoot the drilling. Can you let me know some smiths who work on drillings? Thanks.

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 02:09:15 PM »

DM

Boy. I certainly am hoping to shoot the drilling. Can you let me know some smiths who work on drillings? Thanks.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 03:00:28 PM »
  https://jjperodeau.com/  Is who I use...

If you get a chance to go meet JJ, he's a great guy and can do anything that can be done, to a drilling, I was last at his place a couple years ago, a great guy to talk to.

BTW, I'm betting that IF your drilling is a 9.3, it has a 72R chamber.  You will need to slug the bore to see what bullet diameter is required.

You can still buy 72R ammo, if it's safe to shoot...

DM

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 03:36:46 PM »

If you get a chance to go meet JJ, he's a great guy and can do anything that can be done, to a drilling, I was last at his place a couple years ago, a great guy to talk to.

BTW, I'm betting that IF your drilling is a 9.3, it has a 72R chamber.  You will need to slug the bore to see what bullet diameter is required.

DM

Good to know stuff. Is there any way to know or guess which cartridge without the cast?

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 04:32:52 PM »

DM

Good to know stuff. Is there any way to know or guess which cartridge without the cast?
  Do the chamber cast, how else are you going to know if it's been altered or what shape it's in, or the throat either?

Old guns back then, there were few standards, every gunsmith did what HE thought was best, not what was a standard, many made their own tooling.

If you don't want to do it, JJ can check it for you and tell you if your drilling is on face or not, if it isn't, he can put it back on face.

DM

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 01:47:22 AM »
Thanks. Got to see it at the LGS; what a pretty piece. They said it is now taking three weeks for approval so I don't have it in hand yet. A friend in my club said he would do the chamber cast for me, probably the bore slugging also. I'm beginning to think about barrel inserts for the 16 ga barrels and maybe for the rifle barrel also depending on the bore diameter. I read that some are really close to .357 so lead .38 specials should work well. Since I haven't hunted in 20+ years and with my heart issues probably won't ever again. Really looking forward to getting it home.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 04:11:10 AM »
  IF, the guy knows what he's doing when chamber casting, you won't need to slug the bbl...

I'm betting a 38spl. at .358" will be a bit undersize...

I wouldn't fire it until it was checked for "being on face", as if it needs attention, firing it will just make it worse.

Not that long ago I bought this one for $600,

and like most old drillings, it's off face,

It's chambered 16 ga. - 9.3x72R and it's a beauty, with exceptional engraving of animals for the time it was built in the early 1900's, unfortunately it has some stock repairs.

DM

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 06:06:04 AM »
Ok, what does off face mean? I haven't seen that term mentioned in any postings to date. Gene

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 05:33:38 PM »
You know, about half the fun of a new project like this is figuring out how I want to do it and what I want the end result to be. Another Idea I have is to get a half doz. boxer primed brass in whatever cartridge it takes and load them with 5 gr of Unique and a slightly over size round ball and take that to the range like we used to do with our old Remington Rolling Block in .43 Spanish. Actually those cases were Burdan primed so Pop deprimed them hydrolicly. Used .45 swaged round balls. That, of course, was over 60 years ago before you could get anything but original black powder rounds loaded in Burdan cases. Still was fun to make the old girl roar. I still have that RRB, but haven't shot it for years.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 06:11:16 PM »
Semi related
Last time I was browsing in their
catalogs, IIRC dixie gun works and
track of the wolf had goods for
loading 43sp.  Cases, moulds, etc.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 07:22:30 PM »
I know, I got all that stuff a few years ago.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2022, 08:44:05 AM »
Ok, what does off face mean? I haven't seen that term mentioned in any postings to date. Gene
  The short answer is, it means the action isn't as tight in lockup, as it "needs" to be, to keep from damaging itself by further firing.

DM

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 01:39:39 PM »
Ok, thanks for the info. gene

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 04:18:03 PM »
Well... I have the chamber cast. This is clearly 9.3x72R X 16ga. My friend is a gunsmith/machinest and pronounced the lockup very tight. Now I start looking for brass or ammo. Right now, on Gun Broker, the one set of ammo is $335+20 for 20 rounds; so for now I keep looking and hope I can find so or some boxer primed brass. If anyone knows of any available I'd appreciate a heads up.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2022, 03:35:48 PM »
Gene,    Wow, Just a few years ago I use to see 9.3 x 72 R ammo for under $ 50.  I will start going to gun shows soon and will watch for some. I know it costs a lot for shipping but if I see some at a good price I will pick them up with you in mind. If you already have some by then I will keep them for future projects ?

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,