Author Topic: Rut 2022  (Read 6053 times)

Offline M134 Troll

• Trade Count: (0)
Rut 2022
« on: September 17, 2022, 03:57:34 PM »
It seems a bit early( about a month earlier than last year) but a half dozen fresh roadkills on the way to Lansing and back today makes me wonder if deer are starting to move around.  Coming off a full moon might have contributed.

I caught a well rubbed buck on the trail camera the other day lurking around the pear tree where a doe and fawn had been photographed earlier. 

No fall harvest around us yet.  Beans are just starting to turn.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Rut 2022
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 04:11:22 PM »
Good Luck

Not looking promising here.
Not anything to do with deer,
but more about antler jealously.
A friend and his family lost their
place this year after both his sons
took very large racked bucks this
last season after previous hunters
were less than successful. I'm not
exactly sure of the reasons given
for the breakup, but it's a huge
coincidence that just after some
large antlered bucks were taken
the other family members decided
they'd hunt the place themselves.
Certain people in my area are becoming
trophy centered as well and think
that " trophy management " is feasible
on the tiny broken parcels of land
in the area. 
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 04:24:10 AM »
looking poor at camp too. Ive had a camera out for about a month and all ive seen on it are a doe and fawn a crap pile of raccons and 3 bear. Brother in law and nephews arent getting much better on there cameras. Nobody has seen a single buck. Granted they dont tend to move alot till rut but we about always see at least some small bucks this time of year. thats what kind of sucks about those cameras. I can sit at home and see on my computer that its hardly worth even hanging a bow stand.
blue lives matter

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 05:40:01 AM »
I'm getting lots of trail cam pics with at least one good one on it. Also a t least 3 different 2 year olds and many does and fawns.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 10:25:02 AM »
I'm getting lots of trail cam pics with at least one good one on it. Also a t least 3 different 2 year olds and many does and fawns.

Yep. All the good deer in huge numbers are just north of the Ohio state line in Michigan :)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 05:13:45 PM »
I was getting bucks on cameras at my shooting range, pond and driveway cameras regularly but a couple weeks or so ago they just disappeared. I haven't seen a buck since, only does and fawns.

Doesn't really matter since I don't hunt anymore and won't be shooting any of the deer here on my property.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline M134 Troll

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 03:00:21 PM »
Coming home at dusk last Saturday 1/4 mile east of home had 4 deer...two adults and two fawns...scoot across the road in front of us. I stopped dead when the first one hit the road.  Tail end charlie fawn ran into a van coming the other way.  The driver had slowed down and the fawn was tossed in the ditch and took off after the others.   Deer crossing from corn field to alfalfa.

Trail camera out back caught a 8 pt buck with clean antlers poking around where a doe and fawn had been checking my pear tree droppings. No other buck sign that I've found at historical rub and scrape sites.

Corn fields across the road from us and across from the neighbors down the road may upset historical movement through my small back field.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 06:17:08 AM »
We have more deer here than ever.  My son went out on bow stand the other evening and saw 15 deer, 6 bucks 2 of which were big boys.  I helped my buddy recover this guy that was hit about 1/2 mile from my house, he saw it along road on way to work.  Can't see it very well, but it has 22 scorable points and 9 others, shame it was hit on the road but will make a nice skull mount for him.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 06:52:09 AM »
The farmers here in SE MI are just starting to cut the crops.  My wife seen a dandy 10 pt. in the soybeans behind our house the other day. We keep a pair of binoculars handy and she seems more observant than myself at spotting deer and other game around the house.
I will wait a few weeks before I start bow hunting as I have so many projects around the house and maintenance on our vehicles to do before I can get into hunting mode.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 09:44:08 AM »
The farmers here in SE MI are just starting to cut the crops.  My wife seen a dandy 10 pt. in the soybeans behind our house the other day. We keep a pair of binoculars handy and she seems more observant than myself at spotting deer and other game around the house.
I will wait a few weeks before I start bow hunting as I have so many projects around the house and maintenance on our vehicles to do before I can get into hunting mode.

jedman

You and me both. It’s been nice and cool but to much crap on the list to even think about hunting.

Offline M134 Troll

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 02:07:11 PM »
Farmers are starting to pick soybeans around here but there are still quite a few green fields.   

Pulled the chip from the trail cam aimed at my apple trees and found photos of two bucks not quite as large as the first one.   A six and an eight facing off.  Three bucks in short order is atypical.   Interesting given the substantial corn fields across the road from us.  Hope they stick around for gun season.

Offline M134 Troll

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 04:19:45 PM »
Well, the rut is taking off in Mid Michigan.   Several bucks caught on the trail cam.   Multiple fresh scrapes out back and I may have missed some because it has been a pretty dry fall and the ground is very hard. Scraping activity barely scratches the soil and doesn't turn it up like when the soil is damp.

So dry that corn harvest has started.  There is corn across the road from 1/4 mile west to 1/2 mile east of us.   Hundreds of acres 1/2 mile SE  from here.  Kernel moisture content must be good and combines aren't tearing up the fields.  The past couple of years it was so wet that corn wasn't harvested until the ground froze.   

Wonder if the trail cam deer will stick around after the deer hotel across the road is gone.   Set up popup blinds yesterday in anticipation that some will keep moving through here.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 02:09:45 PM »
A friend and I are going up near Rose City, MI for the first 2 days of gun season. We are hunting state land and staying in a motel in West Branch. This year I am taking 2 rifles I haven’t hunted with yet, a Henry big boy lever action in 45 Colt and a Henry single shot rechambered to 35 Rem. I don’t care what I get a shot at even a yearling will do for some meat, have the combo tag so I would be tickled to shoot something !

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline locust

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 05:31:56 AM »
i went up to houghton lake to do a visit to my huntshack .put a window in to the door which had  a  huge  blind spot on that side of the shack. found a nicely worked scrape not a 100yd from the shack and another  50 yd to the west .cut down some brush and then it started raining .good timing on my part

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 06:33:57 AM »
They are at it in Southern Minnesota right now.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2022, 12:15:21 PM »
I live in south east Michigan and from my home I have a great view for several miles to the east and west of my home. It is 80% farm fields with several ditch lines with a few trees, a few weedy open areas and several small woods.
I see deer daily moving around but so far nothing like bucks following close to does yet ? Yesterday and today I watched several groups of does walk around the edges of a small woods and several that crossed the fields while browsing. I have not seen a buck now in nearly 2 weeks ?
I am rather puzzled by this as this period right now should be very rut active.  I have to admit I still have not been out bow hunting as household projects have taken priority because of the mild weather we have been having lately.
Looks like the first week of gun season is going to be good, much cooler and overall more average compared to this extra warm fall we have had so far.

jedman

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2022, 06:03:33 PM »
Good Luck to everybody that
will be out hunting
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2022, 01:36:39 PM »
According to the Michigan DNR deer hunter numbers keep dropping. They say deer numbers have been increasing in the lower peninsula and hunter success is up.
I am still new to MI hunting and can’t relate to what is was like in years past but last year I spent a day and a half scouting on state lands near Gladwin to north of West Branch. Hunters with large campers seemed to be everywhere and I was a little overwhelmed at the prospects of seeing nothing but orange on opening day.
I did end up finding a couple small tracts of state land where no one was set up so I hunted there the first morning and did here some shooting close but didn’t see any deer or hunters. In the afternoon I could have shot a couple yearlings but let them pass, this year I probably will not. My friend that was hunting with me did see a buck but it crossed through a shooting lane and was gone to quickly for him to get a shot. We did hunt some the second day but it was more scouting than hunting and we ended up leaving for home.
 I am doing a similar hunt this year mainly because I want to use some of my rifles in bottlenecked calibers and to get a feeling for what public land hunting is like in MI.
I feel I will be able to get a deer or two in southern MI where I’m living but want to hunt the north country and see more of it.

jedman

I

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 05:14:49 AM »
Shot a small 10 this morning in Southern Minnesota.

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 08:52:06 AM »
I live in south east Michigan and from my home I have a great view for several miles to the east and west of my home. It is 80% farm fields with several ditch lines with a few trees, a few weedy open areas and several small woods.
I see deer daily moving around but so far nothing like bucks following close to does yet ? Yesterday and today I watched several groups of does walk around the edges of a small woods and several that crossed the fields while browsing. I have not seen a buck now in nearly 2 weeks ?
I am rather puzzled by this as this period right now should be very rut active.  I have to admit I still have not been out bow hunting as household projects have taken priority because of the mild weather we have been having lately.
Looks like the first week of gun season is going to be good, much cooler and overall more average compared to this extra warm fall we have had so far.

jedman
Just had a full moon and temps are going to drop this weekend. Just sayin...
Useful Useful x 1 View List

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 09:44:27 AM »
It was 60 here this morning and 38 now.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2022, 06:43:53 AM »
 Strange ?    This morning I watched 3 adult does walk out into the middle of a picked cornfield across the road from me they layed down about 75 yards apart and layed there for at least 2 hours ?  They were a minimum of 600 yards from any cover but chose to lay in the open field, the only way I could see them were thru binoculars.
I still have not seen a buck in weeks ?

jedman

Offline M134 Troll

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2022, 03:47:23 PM »
Full moon this past week and clear sky.   Deer will be moving around quite a bit at night under these conditions.  Also atypical warm weather will have them holed up in deep shade during the day.   Trail cam still catching bucks at night.  Additional scrapes out back.

Big temperature drop from yesterday and getting colder over the weekend so that might get them moving..   Corn across the road was harvested yesterday and no telling how many might move across the road to where there is more cover.

I'm ready for Tuesday AM chilly conditions.  Most deer taken here are shot in late afternoon, but sometimes they show up in the morning.

Offline M134 Troll

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2022, 04:14:18 PM »
According to the Michigan DNR deer hunter numbers keep dropping. They say deer numbers have been increasing in the lower peninsula and hunter success is up.
I am still new to MI hunting and can’t relate to what is was like in years past but last year I spent a day and a half scouting on state lands near Gladwin to north of West Branch. Hunters with large campers seemed to be everywhere and I was a little overwhelmed at the prospects of seeing nothing but orange on opening day.
I did end up finding a couple small tracts of state land where no one was set up so I hunted there the first morning and did here some shooting close but didn’t see any deer or hunters. In the afternoon I could have shot a couple yearlings but let them pass, this year I probably will not. My friend that was hunting with me did see a buck but it crossed through a shooting lane and was gone to quickly for him to get a shot. We did hunt some the second day but it was more scouting than hunting and we ended up leaving for home.
 I am doing a similar hunt this year mainly because I want to use some of my rifles in bottlenecked calibers and to get a feeling for what public land hunting is like in MI.
I feel I will be able to get a deer or two in southern MI where I’m living but want to hunt the north country and see more of it.

jedman

I

Jedman, in past years the Gladwin area was known for large numbers of deer per square mile and almost as many hunters. 

There is a certain cachet/flavor/quality to hunting up north where one can avoid the orange masses.
  This means a longer drive to larger masses of public land in the tip of the mitt or the UP where one can walk away from the roads.   Most hunters do not appear to have compass/topo map/gps skills to navigate out of sound of vehicles on roads.   Check out the extinct dune areas between Cross Village and Wilderness State Park.  I found that if you hike over a dune or ridge one pretty much has the area to oneself. You will need some wilderness navigation skills despite not being far from roads and trails.  Fewer deer but better overall hunt experience.  Also research commercial forest lands which allow hunting...DNR website.
In terms of eating venison, have you met the farmer/landowner of the fields near your home?  Permission to hunt private land?  Living in the neighborhood might be an advantage.
Check out hunting on DNR managed areas and Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge.  These may require participating in a drawing in order to gain access.
When I lived in SE MI I would canoe into the backside of state game areas furthest from roads/parking areas.  Very quiet so long as there wasn't any skim ice!
Good Luck wherever you end up.

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2022, 09:27:40 PM »
Here in Ohio, I had a nice 10pt in my back yard last week hanging out with a doe. Another smaller buck was very interested also, but the big boy wouldn't tolerate it and spent most of the day running the little guy off.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2022, 04:22:35 AM »
M134 Troll,    Thanks for the advice  ;). My problem is that I am only a couple years from 70 and have had 3 heart attacks and even though my brain thinks I can I find I ain’t what I use to be. Back 20 years ago In OH I took several deer canoeing by myself with a crossbow. I used to hunt 1 mile plus from my vehicle and have had to drag out many deer a long ways but wount do it anymore.  This year I am taking equipment to where if needed I am going to try the “ gutless method “ of skinning the deer on the ground and taking off the meat on one side then flipping them over and do the other side. I do have a friend going hunting with me so I will have some help if needed. I think the 2 of us could carry out a cooler with a quartered deer in it fairly easy if it comes to that.
I do have permission to hunt some of the farms near me at home from my neighbors and that’s great as it payed off in a smaller buck last year and I was able to drive to within 30 yards of the dead deer and it was nice to not to have to work so hard.
Due to my heart disease I depend on deer meat for the majority of the red meat my wife and I eat. In past years when I use to hunt antelope in WY every year and deer in OH there were years I killed 7 to 9 animals in a year and all the meat was used .
The rest of my years of hunting will probably be here in MI and 1 or 2 deer a year will do me well.

jedman

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »
This one came walking by my driveway the other day, been trying to get a pic of him for a while now. We are over run with whitetail and axis in our small community.
wtxbadger

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2022, 03:05:46 PM »
Nephew's wife shot this one in Southern Minnesota this morning.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2022, 05:09:22 PM »
This one came walking by my driveway the other day, been trying to get a pic of him for a while now. We are over run with whitetail and axis in our small community.

When I used to get to hunt around brady and
el dorado and mason and such,  many of those
guys wouldn't kill the does they were instructed
to. Now there's a gazillion that won't kill any
spikes or tweeker bucks because they're afraid
of missing a chance at the "big buck " to
put above the television or post on farcebook.
I don't see that ending anytime soon
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2022, 05:58:50 PM »

When I used to get to hunt around brady and
el dorado and mason and such,  many of those
guys wouldn't kill the does they were instructed
to. Now there's a gazillion that won't kill any
spikes or tweeker bucks because they're afraid
of missing a chance at the "big buck " to
put above the television or post on farcebook.
I don't see that ending anytime soon

And that is why diseases like blue tongue and CWD are spreading.