Author Topic: Moving day this weekend..  (Read 3275 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Moving day this weekend..
« on: October 21, 2022, 04:36:27 AM »
  Hope this is the right forum..  Moving day this weekend.  i had a 14' X 20' cabin built by an Amish neighbor, and we will move it into my woods this weekend.
  I may get a year or two use of it, but it is here for the long term.  My son, his kids and grandkids can enjoy it for generations.

We ..all the family is involved...plan on preparing it for wa happy week or two to saty.  It will be especially handy for those coming home from out of state, for a 'cabin vacation', while not having to pay a hotel bill...and still enjoy the outdoors.

It has an exterior of board & batten rough sawn, Tyvek wrapped of course and a green steel roof, with windows on all sides. We will finish the interior over the next few months.  I think it will be a fun project.

Will be able to double for a xcomfy big game blind as well..

I am getting used to a new computer and operating system, so i can't post an actual picture..  ..But I found this one on the net.

Mine looks much like this, even to the green metal roof.  Just picture the porch as closed in, rather than open. We figure an awning would be easy to install, while we use the extra space..

https://www.lancasterbarns.com/sheds-and-barns/specific-use-sheds/standard-board-batten-a-frame-cabin

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Moving day this weekend..
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 05:24:46 AM »
   I actually know people in my area , living out of those as their  regular household residence .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 06:24:24 AM »
  It could easily be done.  Time we are done with the interior, it could be year round livable..  Certainlywpould be plenty  adequate
  for a 'lone wolf' like myself.    Nice, quiet area in woods..nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 01:35:35 AM »
We..my son, grandson and I will be preparing a spot in th ewoods for our new cabin..  Should make a great blind  for deer hunting...

THis..is not my cabin..  ;) ;D    https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1798710423829983&set=a.131717530529289

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 01:53:37 AM »
Cabin successfully placed.  Our Amish neighbor completed it and a local building mover placed it in the woods, just where we want=ed it.

That was no easy task, since we had to take it down an old logging trail..only had to cut down one tree..  It is ready to use as a blind now, but we will finish it off where it can be used as a vacation cabin for a family.

That way when for instance, my grandson and family come to visit from out of state..they can have superior lodging without cost.

East border of the property is a fishing stream, with a beaver colony..should make a great place to vacation, especially in summer, since winter vacationing would require perhaps 100 yard walk through deep snow.  ..But it could still be worth the walk, since there is a major ski resort about 10 miles down the road.

Dimensions 14' X 20'

I think my son wants to replace that Amish door with a regular house door..  Still remains to be levelled and set..

Double click to enlarge, and you can see a deer blind I built years ago..off to the left side of the new cabin...heading down toward the creek.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 04:03:10 AM »
That is kinda what I did with a Tough Shed when we moved up here. Wired it, insulated it, sheetrocked it. Now it's got the freezer, dehumidifier, safes and is full of stuff that should be downsized, even the half loft. Someday maybe I'll get it cleaned out so it can be the office/guest bedroom it was intended to be.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 04:19:52 AM »
My son & grandson will be levelling the cabin and building a kids sleeping loft today. There is electric at the roadside, but that is rather a distance, so we don't plan on using that right off.  Solar wouldn't be too practical in the summer months, since the trees when in full leaf, would likely shade it too much, although we could probably set up in a nearby clearing, and run a cable.

Ph=oto:  ..Five year old great grandson running around the cabin..this side will need be lifted..levelled.
Like Like x 1 Agree Agree x 1 View List