Author Topic: new 10 ga  (Read 1580 times)

Offline ranger730

• Trade Count: (0)
new 10 ga
« on: March 12, 2004, 12:51:42 PM »
Went to local dealer today found a 10ga with extra full choke,hi-vize sights,camo stocks with 2 boxes of shells for 219.00 total. Can't wait for saturday never shot a 10. What do ya'll think was that a good price, gun is like new,Later

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
new 10 ga
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 01:54:51 PM »
When I purchased my 10GA three years ago I spent $155.00 on it plus tax.  It came with the the gray woodland camo painted stock and forearm as well as the high viz saddle mount site and the extra full factory choke.  I stripped that paint off and finished off the stock and forearm in a nice medium brown stain.  Looks much better now.  I also cracked the high viz site so I opted for the Truglo Star Brite shotgun bead.  

What shells did you walk out of the store with?  I have Winchester 5's and 6's that I pattern with.  At $9.99 a box I don't over do it with the patterning.  As a matter of fact I have to pattern this gun in the next month or so.  Spring turkey opens up 5/1/04.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline walt cowan

new 10 ga
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 02:21:39 AM »
just got a new 10 gage yesterday! it's a beast! cammo stock,drilled and taped and sling and swivels. 219.00 at bass pro. could of saved a few dollars at w-mart but, paid with bass pro gift cards. for some reason the cammo was 10 dollars cheaper. the one thing i notice was the choke is not marked.???? i also found the stock to be a bit short but, when you sit down and back against a tree its just right. can't wait to pattern!  now need to find cheap and good ammo. :grin:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
new 10 ga
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 07:12:35 AM »
Congrats on your purchase...Me and the Street Sweeper will be taking to the woods in 20 days or so.

Finding good ammo may be easier than cheap ammo...The cheapest I have found is $9.99 per 10 shell box at Gander Mtn, Galyans and Dicks.  You don't have a wide selection to choose from...I stick to the Winchester #5's and 6's...Good luck.

Offline walt cowan

reloading 10 gage
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 03:20:17 AM »
anyone here reload 10 gage? seems alot more of us have rediscovered the mighty 10. loaded down a bit it would make a fun shooter and good long range squril gun. maybe a 2 and something inch with  1 oz. of 6's.  :-)

Offline walt cowan

10 gage a bit too short
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 11:57:20 AM »
anyone here try to lenghten the pull on the stock? do i try spacers between the stock and recoil pad or a thicker pad? another question is what scope/red dot would handel the tens recoil? :?

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
new 10 ga
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 03:05:56 AM »
Walt...You can make your own spacers if you would like.  I would take the stock and make a template.  You could then cut spacers to fit your need using a jig saw.  Smooth out the edges and then install it in between your recoil pad and the stock.  As far as matching the color you are on your own there...I do not reload 10GA shells nor do I have a scope or red dot site on my gun.  Maybe others can help out with that...

Offline walt cowan

new 10 ga
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 02:45:32 AM »
thanks, good tip on a temp plate! i'll probably mount a tasco pro-point II. got one on a muzel loader and it works fine. i got this thing for turkey but, i got the nef bug! you know? i need the 12 gage slug and 10 gage mod. barrels. also the steel choke.  :-D

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
new 10 ga
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 07:52:17 AM »
Walt...You've been bit...Much like the rest of us around here...You will find yourself looking for other calibers and gauges to purchase...The feeling will expand and consume more of your wallet than you expect.  Good luck holding those feelings at bay.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
new 10 ga
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 10:51:39 AM »
There is a rumor that a Forum will be starting called NEFA.  I think it is short for "NEF Anonymous".
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.