Author Topic: Side Release Lever Pretty Loose on the New Ultra  (Read 947 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Side Release Lever Pretty Loose on the New Ultra
« on: March 12, 2004, 03:16:07 PM »
Well I got the New Ultra 25/06 on Wed. and then got hit with two extra long days at work so I just really had time to play around with it a little tonight. While opening and closing the action all of a sudden it wouldn't lock a few times  :cry:  so I messed with the release lever a couple times and it started locking up again. I noticed that the release lever has a lot of side to side movement and about half way down is free play. I don't think it should be this way, should it?
A bit of good news however, while at Wally World tonight looking at scopes the counter salesman said if I would come back in the morning he would sell me his BSA Competition Classic for about 1/3 the original cost of $180. Says it is in really good shape. Gonna check it out in the a.m. Any of you know anything about this scope. He said he used to use it for .22 competition shooting and got a Luepold so he doesn't need it anymore.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline greenjeans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Side Release Lever Pretty Loose on the New
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 03:25:36 PM »
My 25-06 Ultra has a very tight release lever, both horizontal and vertical. My synthetic stocked 30-06 has quite a bit of play in both directions. Never had any problems with either of them. Sorry, don't know anything about the scope.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 04:56:39 PM »
Most of my release leavers have some sort of play in them don't think that is a problem. :-)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 07:46:39 PM »
If the downward motion has play in it it might not be locking up all the wat and not allowing the release lever to go back to original position.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 11:32:22 PM »
Ok guys Thanks....may have just been having pre-range stress syndrome (PRSD)  :)  Seems to be working fine now.
Can't wait to shoot this beauty. Gonna try that infamous "GREAN BOX AMMO" first and then go from there.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 03:09:34 AM »
like2hunt,
I sent my 243 handi in for a couple barrels and a trigger job last year.  Before sending it in it had a very tight release lever (very little movement in either direction) when I got it back it was very loose like you described so I called H&R to see what happened.  John at H&R explained that they are ment to be loose like that and mine was corrected when they did the trigger job.  The new rifles should all have a fair amount of play in the lever.  In the past they were made tighter I guess it led to problems in some rifles.

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 03:39:12 AM »
1S1K,  Thanks for that info :D  That really does relieve a LOT of the PRSD. Thanks again. That is really good to know.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org