Author Topic: 35 Remington Rechamber Question  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Tim50

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
35 Remington Rechamber Question
« on: November 29, 2022, 05:14:04 PM »
I have a 35 Remington barrel and was wondering if it would be possible to rechamber it to 350 Legend! My county now allows straight wall cases and I am a 35 cal fan...Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 35 Remington Rechamber Question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 05:21:19 PM »
Check the dimensions that should tell you.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 12:58:30 AM »
Don't think so. The Legend uses basically a straight wall .223 Remington case and the case of the .35 Remington is larger. So you would not be able to clean up the chamber in such a conversion.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 01:50:59 AM »
Rechamber a 357 to Maximum

It's a very capable round as I've
found out
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 02:06:27 AM »
I would have to guess the case walls are bigger on then either of those rounds with a 35 rem. Youd probablly have to chamber it in a wildcat like the 35 rem necked up to 44 or 45 cal. you could probably rechamber a 350 or 357 max to 35 rem but not the other way and either way youd have to do something about extraction because the 350 has a different sized rebated  rim and the 357 max is a rimmed case. Cheapest way? Sell you 35 barrel and buy what you want.
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 03:47:51 AM »
I have a 35 Remington barrel and was wondering if it would be possible to rechamber it to 350 Legend! My county now allows straight wall cases and I am a 35 cal fan...Thanks in advance for any input.
  NO you can't, the 35 Rem. case is larger in diameter.

Why ruin a good 35 Rem. anyway?

DM

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 03:53:46 AM »
agreed other then he wanted a straight walled case.
  NO you can't, the 35 Rem. case is larger in diameter.

Why ruin a good 35 Rem. anyway?

DM
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 04:39:34 AM »
  Lloyd, I haven't seen a deer hunting report from you, didn't you go to deer camp?

DM

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 04:44:56 AM »
  Lloyd, I haven't seen a deer hunting report from you, didn't you go to deer camp?

DM
nope. had a real good upper respiratory tract virus going on. Still have a little bit lingering but im going to try to get out for the first few days of muzzle loading. thankfully the guys from the farm where we used to shoot crop damage came by and dropped off two does for me becuase i was down and out. Probably head to camp tommarow. Had 4 decent bucks on the camera and as far as i know only one has been shot but who knows. My internet game camera took a crap two days after the start of season so i really dont have a clue whats been comming in. Honesly DM if it werent for my nephews and brother in law pestering me to go out id probably stay home.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 05:21:34 AM »
  I think you would do much better going to H&R classified here, and swapping that .35 Rem barrel for a .44 mag  or .357 barrel.
   The .35 Rem case is larger in body than the legend, and would be impossible or nearly so to convert, since the legend is 35 cal all it's length, and steel would have to be ADDED..

1)  .357 or .44 mag ammo are easier to find than the .350 legend.

2) If you wish, you could then rechamber the barrel to the .357 Maxi. or 350 Legend.

3) Personally, I have found the .44 Mag more than adequate for any big game in the northeast, having killed several deer with one.

4) A look at the case below, will show that the .35 Rem case swells wider than the legend..

I bought a rifle in .450 Bushmaster, but found I should have stayed with the .44 mag for a straight case, I can't imagine these super straight case in an H&R..as being comfortable.  Here is my recent post;
     https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=296722.0
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 05:44:09 AM »

DM
nope. had a real good upper respiratory tract virus going on. Still have a little bit lingering but im going to try to get out for the first few days of muzzle loading. thankfully the guys from the farm where we used to shoot crop damage came by and dropped off two does for me becuase i was down and out. Probably head to camp tommarow. Had 4 decent bucks on the camera and as far as i know only one has been shot but who knows. My internet game camera took a crap two days after the start of season so i really dont have a clue whats been comming in. Honesly DM if it werent for my nephews and brother in law pestering me to go out id probably stay home.
  Hope you do well, there's plenty of time left to get more meat.

DM

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 10:02:21 AM »
hasnt been great at camp this year but there wasnt the hours put in as was in the past either. Ive got some doe permits but i doubt ill bother filling those. Only thing im going to bust my but for is at least an 8. how did you do?
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 12:17:39 PM »
hasnt been great at camp this year but there wasnt the hours put in as was in the past either. Ive got some doe permits but i doubt ill bother filling those. Only thing im going to bust my but for is at least an 8. how did you do?
  I shot an extremely big 8 (for here) and later a buck with longer spikes, so I'm all set, I posted picts. over in the Michigan region...

I saw deer every day that I hunted, but I didn't shoot any does and probably won't, as I get lazy after I fill two tags.  We don't need the meat, in fact I get both deer processed and give one to my stepson/family for Christmas, and split a second one with my longtime friend, so half a deer is more than enough venison for us.

My wife suggested I shoot one for the food bank, and I even got too lazy to do that.  I called my older brother to see if he needed one as I've helped him out in the past, and he said he had plenty of meat too, so I guess my deer hunting is over.

DM

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 04:35:01 PM »
I guess a good machinest could bore out the chamber and make an insert, but why?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »
I guess a good machinest could bore out the chamber and make an insert, but why?
  Other than the 350 was really designed originally, to use .355" bullets, and the 35 Rem. uses .358" bullets.

I see now, it says you can use .355" to .357"...

DM

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 10:16:32 PM »
Best friend who lives up by ishpeming called last night and said he got a 9 right off his back porch last night. He got a nice 8 on opening day too. Deer where he lives migrate to our camp when the snow comes but all the snow is gone again so i doubt there will be a mass migration this muzzleloading season.
  I shot an extremely big 8 (for here) and later a buck with longer spikes, so I'm all set, I posted picts. over in the Michigan region...

I saw deer every day that I hunted, but I didn't shoot any does and probably won't, as I get lazy after I fill two tags.  We don't need the meat, in fact I get both deer processed and give one to my stepson/family for Christmas, and split a second one with my longtime friend, so half a deer is more than enough venison for us.

My wife suggested I shoot one for the food bank, and I even got too lazy to do that.  I called my older brother to see if he needed one as I've helped him out in the past, and he said he had plenty of meat too, so I guess my deer hunting is over.

DM
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 10:17:41 PM »
a 375 big bore might work.
blue lives matter

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 04:37:14 PM »
The handi barrel in 35 Rem. is a hard to find barrel. You might be able to get $ 325 - $ 350 for it on eBay and for another $100- $ 150 added you can buy a Henry in 350 Legend . The only H&R barrel you could rechamber to the 350 legend would be the 357 mag and they are the most pricey right now plus you would have to change the ejector/ extractor so you would have the price of a new gun in just the barrel.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2022, 02:34:41 AM »
  Or you can go this way..after selling your H&R ..

https://cva.com/product-line/scout/

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/threads/christmas-started-a-little-early-cva-scout-td-350-legend.671097/

I have a CVA in .44 mag..a nice rifle..

Here are the chamberings already available in the scout;

Thread Pitches:
Scout TD .45-70 Govt. - M18X1
Scout TD Compact .243 Win. - 5/8x24
Scout TD .350 Legend - 5/8x24
Scout TD Compact .300 AAC BLACKOUT - 5/8x24
Scout TD 450 BUSHMASTER - M18X1
Scout TD .35 Whelen - M16X1
Scout TD .444 Marlin - M18X1
Scout .410ga - Invector Choke

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2022, 02:41:02 AM »
or you could step up to some real power and rechamber in in 50 Beowulf. Ive HAMMERED a few deer with my ar. Rim just might work with your extractor too.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2022, 03:48:46 AM »
  I have harvested deer with many different cartridges..just as many here have.  From 30/30 and .44 mag on up, I see little difference between killing capacity on whitetail deer..although there are effective differences in effective range.
Funny Funny x 1 View List

Offline Ruger27

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 12:29:08 AM »
My 358 barrel used to be a 35rem