Author Topic: Famous last words of some famous atheists..  (Read 701 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Famous last words of some famous atheists..
« on: November 30, 2022, 11:18:11 AM »
   Don't wait as long as they did , to make sure of your eternal destination.

https://www.takehispardon.org/articles/famous-atheists-last-words-before-death
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Famos last words of some famous atheists..
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 04:36:22 PM »
Cannot one find salvation in their last moments?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 03:14:57 AM »
Cannot one find salvation in their last moments?

Sure, but apparently these folks don't realize it !  Perhaps they have been living in darkness so long, it blinds them
    to be in the presence of light.

Or as possible with some, they have heard the message but are too proud and/or stubborn to admit who is King,
   and how they have been wrong all their lives.

Then perhaps, nobody has told them, which would be neglect on someone's part.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 11:42:51 AM »
I see the name of Thomas Paine is spelled Payne. Unless it is referencing another Thomas Payne, but I don't think it is, because It mentions him as the Atheistic writer of the American colonies. I suppose what pronounced Paine an Atheist was his book titled The Age of Reason.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 02:08:05 PM »
I see the name of Thomas Paine is spelled Payne. Unless it is referencing another Thomas Payne, but I don't think it is, because It mentions him as the Atheistic writer of the American colonies. I suppose what pronounced Paine an Atheist was his book titled The Age of Reason.

Some quotes from that book..    https://www.revolutionary-war-and-beyond.com/quotes-by-thomas-paine.html

Offline DDZ

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 03:03:57 AM »
I never knew Paine was such an atheist. Learn something new every day.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 03:14:02 AM »
I have a book entitled "Visions Beyond the Vail" of Christians who died and what they saw on their death bed.  This happened in China before the Communists took over.  They saw various things in heaven, angels, Jesus, and the "great gulf between heaven and those in hell".  Can't remember author, I will try to find the book. 
Opelika Portal

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 05:43:18 AM »

Paine was a deist. Reading through the excerpts offered, all I saw was a man who believed.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 10:23:38 AM »

Paine was a deist. Reading through the excerpts offered, all I saw was a man who believed.

Just "believing"..not enough !
    " you believe there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe-and tremble..."  (James 2:19)

Even if he were a Deist, he would still be out in the cold..or rather end up in the heat..  :D  ;D

Deists think that a God created the world..then just left it alone ..to sink or swim !  ..But even beyond that, Paine took the time to harshly criticize the very faith that most of his neighbors lived by.

https://www.azquotes.com/author/11249-Thomas_Paine/tag/religion

In fact, here is a quote from Paine, taken from the link posted above;

"Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is no more derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory to itself than this thing called Christianity. Too absurd for belief, too impossible to convince, and too inconsistent for practice, it renders the heart torpid or produces only atheists or fanatics. As an engine of power, it serves the purpose of despotism, and as a means of wealth, the avarice of priests, but so far as respects the good of man in general it leads to nothing here or hereafter."
Thomas Paine

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
Re: Famous last words of some famous atheists..
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 12:24:30 AM »
Paine took the time to harshly criticize the very faith that most of his neighbors lived by.
Yep, he did do that. He was certainly cynical about established religion. 
His neighbors….Paine arrived in the colonies in 1774 with the help of Ben Franklin (also a deist. Note that Deism was common amongst the founding fathers…Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe are a few.) i do not believe that any of them voiced as sharp a criticism as did Paine. Paine settled in New Rochelle, NY. His neighbors were French Huegenots who had left France to escape Catholic persecution.
Paine wrote his famous tract “Common Sense” in 1776. Shortly after the war he travelled to France. He was arrested there and it was while incarcerated that he wrote “The Age of Reason” (1794) which contained the passage quoted earlier.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 01:33:04 AM »

Just "believing"..not enough !
    " you believe there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe-and tremble..."  (James 2:19)

Even if he were a Deist, he would still be out in the cold..or rather end up in the heat..  :D  ;D

Deists think that a God created the world..then just left it alone ..to sink or swim !  ..But even beyond that, Paine took the time to harshly criticize the very faith that most of his neighbors lived by.

Folks once again judging the heart of someone they never met. I don't know exactly what someone like Thomas Payne believed some 240 years ago, anymore than the present mayor of the little town I now live in.

Definitions, and meanings of words in our present world have changed numerous times in my lifetime. Were they the same in 1776?

So this debate, and condemnation of ole Thomas is just why many Christians actually shun other folks (and churches) claiming to be Christian while actively violating Biblical law.

Matthew Chapter 7 verses 1-5 ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 05:32:14 AM »
Paine took the time to harshly criticize the very faith that most of his neighbors lived by.
Yep, he did do that. He was certainly cynical about established religion. 
His neighbors….Paine arrived in the colonies in 1774 with the help of Ben Franklin (also a deist. Note that Deism was common amongst the founding fathers…Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe are a few.) i do not believe that any of them voiced as sharp a criticism as did Paine. Paine settled in New Rochelle, NY. His neighbors were French Huegenots who had left France to escape Catholic persecution.
Paine wrote his famous tract “Common Sense” in 1776. Shortly after the war he travelled to France. He was arrested there and it was while incarcerated that he wrote “The Age of Reason” (1794) which contained the passage quoted earlier.

I must take exception with your choice of Deists among the founders of our nation.  First off, I will give you Jefferson and possibly Monroe, but Washington and Madison..I reserve the right to quibble.

Deism claims that God created the world, then essentially walked off and left it..forgot it.  That prayers directed to him would not reach Him.

Though any estimation of the depth of Franklin's belief is sketchy at best, he could not have been a pure Deist, since at the constitutional convention, he implored for God's intervention.  Here's his prayer;

" therefore beg leave to move — that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service."

Washington is a far different case.  Gen Washington was an Episcopalian, and very open about it> ..And that was
   when the Episcopalians were far more "Biblical" than they are today.
  Gen Washington carried with him a 'book of prayers', mostly written by himself ..

One winter day Isaac Potts, a Tory resident of the Valley forge area, was walking through the woods when he came upon Washington in prayer.  He even heard the prayer, and was so touched that he concluded right there, that the British had already lost the war.
  This witness decades later, inspired Arnold Friberg to produce the painting shown below.

True, some of the founding fathers were skeptical concerning "organized religion', with the same skepticism that Luther held for the medieval church and Knox and our 'Pilgrims' held for the Anglicans...but they still believed in an active, loving, personal and just God.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2022, 06:03:15 AM »
  From Dee...

"
Folks once again judging the heart of someone they never met.
   Yes, how can we ever appraise the character of Judas Iscariot, Adolph Hitler, Chairman Mao or Joseph
  Stalin?   Better we go about answering "DUH !" when asked about any historical person or event..

I don't know exactly what someone like Thomas Payne believed some 240 years ago, anymore than the present mayor of the little town I now live in. 
  He has written prolifically ..check him out !

Definitions, and meanings of words in our present world have changed numerous times in my lifetime. Were they the same in 1776?
  Sorry about your lack of surety concerning the English language. Most of us have little problem with the "King's English", as employed in the King James version, written in 1611..

So this debate, and condemnation of ole Thomas is just why many Christians actually shun other folks (and churches) claiming to be Christian while actively violating Biblical law.
  "The Law" is old testament.. The New Testament is referred to as the "New Covenant"..

Matthew Chapter 7 verses 1-5 ;)
      OK, Let's look at that verse..

1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

First off.. the OP wasn't 'judging' anybody!  It was only quoting 'last words' of some people.

Secondly... It was not judging any soul's final destination, which is what that Biblical passage is concerned with..

If we are to take what you claim, and never "judge' anything..we could end up like some, not being able to decide between right and wrong..concerning everything from using drugs to stealing funds, can't tell a man from a woman and worse..

I think I am safe when I say God doesn't want us to be some kind of 'air heads' ..

BTW: You are doing a heap of "judging" on Vladimir Putin, aren't you ?  Over in another thread, you called him a "piece of excrement"../color]