Author Topic: anyone used pulled primers  (Read 907 times)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
anyone used pulled primers
« on: December 12, 2022, 01:34:16 AM »
Jeff Bartlet is selling small rifle pulled primers from 30 carbine ammo. I would have to think once they were seated and punched out theyd be to small and loose in the primer pockets. Ive never tried it though. Has anyone here?
blue lives matter

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: anyone used pulled primers
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 02:17:51 AM »
Once punched out I would think they would not fire. But there's an army manual that tells how to "reload" fired primers. May work for emergency situations.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 02:40:16 AM »
This is interesting.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 03:55:46 AM »
Sorry I have forgotten the manual number, but it is available in both digital and hard copy on ebay usually. I'm on my tablet now so it's hard to copy links but I can look later today. Basically it's the WWII manual on irregular arms if you are caught behind enemy lines and have to make your own weapons.

Offline Moleman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 04:19:25 AM »
I'm a cheap ....... when it comes to primers and recover them when there's issue like a collapsed neck ect.  No issues, but I'm also not taking them out of cases where they're crimped in.  The last batch of primers I got at cabelas a few weeks ago was $90/1000.  Don't think I'd pay $80/1000 plus shipping and hazmat for machine punched primers from military cases.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 04:57:18 AM »
The problem I've had is in gas operated rifles like the AR15. Some of'em will blow out depending on the brass primer pocket. Many times the primer will get in the action and lock it up.that can be a pain depending on where the primer ends up.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 05:17:01 AM »
    In my experience it take considerably more pressure to de-cap military brass  ,my concern would be some primers may not ignite from being damaged . I have  salvaged a few  primers from commercial brass but they easily pop out . 

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 05:53:04 AM »
I have 'pulled' and re-used over 500 large rifle primers. I bought a batch of 'nicks & dings' 30-06 brass that was primed. The first thing I did was de-prime all of it, then sort the cases and process the good ones. To de-prime I just ran them through my single stage press and gently pushed the primers out. I have shot several hundred that I reloaded for a Garand with no trouble.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 07:26:40 AM »
yup had that quite a few times when i got cheap and didnt toss brass thats primer pockets were opened up enought o not have much if any resistance seating primers. Allways think "ill get away with it this time" but it comes back to bite you and you sure shouldnt do it with anything but blasting ammo.
The problem I've had is in gas operated rifles like the AR15. Some of'em will blow out depending on the brass primer pocket. Many times the primer will get in the action and lock it up.that can be a pain depending on where the primer ends up.
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 07:30:37 AM »
ya if it were half that id consider it. But if you look hard you can still find primers new at that price. I dont recall back when i loaded 30 carbine having any crimped primers. could be wrong though because that was in the early to mid 70s and i didnt load near as much then.
I'm a cheap ....... when it comes to primers and recover them when there's issue like a collapsed neck ect.  No issues, but I'm also not taking them out of cases where they're crimped in.  The last batch of primers I got at cabelas a few weeks ago was $90/1000.  Don't think I'd pay $80/1000 plus shipping and hazmat for machine punched primers from military cases.
blue lives matter

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 08:23:08 AM »
Not so much the cup getting
pushed in as the anvil is pushed
down into the compound as
the primer is seated the first time.
The legs of the anvil are sticking
up above the edge of the cup on
a new primer and seating the
primer pushes the anvil down
into the compound.
Just me-  I wouldn't utilize any
used primers for any ammunition
that I was depending on to fire
reliably. Of course, many people
do and have good luck with it,
but I'll have to pass. Not worth the
minute chance of a failure to me
YMMV
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline scattershot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 09:02:28 AM »
I have pulled and reused primers, but only if I pulled them myself. I wouldn’t use pulled primers from crimped military brass, though.
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 10:14:38 AM »
I must say that I used to be a lot pickier than I am today... I do use my best stuff for hunting or defense.

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 12:40:58 PM »
"Sorry I have forgotten the manual number, but it is available in both digital and hard copy on ebay usually. I'm on my tablet now so it's hard to copy links but I can look later today. Basically it's the WWII manual on irregular arms if you are caught behind enemy lines and have to make your own weapons"

The manual is: TM 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook
TM 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook
Book by U.S. Department of the Army

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 10:34:10 PM »
i believe they make them using the white head of a stick matches and reusing the anvil. Ive heard of them being made with the powder out of kids cap guns too.
"Sorry I have forgotten the manual number, but it is available in both digital and hard copy on ebay usually. I'm on my tablet now so it's hard to copy links but I can look later today. Basically it's the WWII manual on irregular arms if you are caught behind enemy lines and have to make your own weapons"

The manual is: TM 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook
TM 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook
Book by U.S. Department of the Army
blue lives matter

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 02:30:24 AM »
Lloyd, you are correct. I just figured folks ought to read the manual instead of saying gene or Lloyd said you can do this. It is available online, so access isn't a big deal.

Offline Eddie Southgate

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2024, 08:39:12 AM »
 I have pushed out many primers and reseated them over the years and never noticed that they worked any different. My question would be is where exactly did the .30 Carbine primers originate ? Us priming for .30 Carbine was always non corrosive but foreign .30 Carbine was not in all cases. Lots of foreign military surplus .30 carbine ammo on the marker at one time. The Korean stuff was non corrosive some of the others were not.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2024, 04:20:48 PM »

I have pulled and reused primers, but only if I pulled them myself. I wouldn’t use pulled primers from crimped military brass, though.
Only ones I reuse are the ones I pulled. Reseat them, and go in a separate box/container marked practice only, and why. Just got a couple of .223 that had a split in the neck. Didn't catch them when I was seating the primers, but when I was getting ready to drop the powder in the case.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman