Author Topic: 10 mm  (Read 1039 times)

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
10 mm
« on: January 01, 2023, 11:03:26 PM »
Recent posts in a number of threads have mentioned both 9mm and .40 S&W as preferred ammo. No mention of the 10mm. Why is that?
I have shot .40s and 9s but have no esperience with the 10mm.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 10 mm
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 12:59:49 AM »
my getting serious 10mm ammo is loaded with either a 200 grain xtp or a 180 lee tn cast hard and pc coated and both pushed with aa9 or surplus equivalent (because i have alot of it) and a small pistol mag primer. Another good powder is power pistol with a standard primer. Never bought a box of factory 10mm so i cant help you there. Honestly i just dont shoot them much anymore. I prefer the size of the 40sw glocks and i shot a couple animals when i first got my 20
 and wasnt all that impressed with the results.
Recent posts in a number of threads have mentioned both 9mm and .40 S&W as preferred ammo. No mention of the 10mm. Why is that?
I have shot .40s and 9s but have no esperience with the 10mm.
blue lives matter

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 09:16:54 AM »
I've not held or shot a 10 either, but the 40 is enough handgun for anything I am ever apt to do.  I am too old to go to grizzly or lion country, and the 10 would not be enough for that for me to consider it.

I got to shoot a Ruger 41 magnum years ago, full factory loads seemed mild recoiling and pleasant to shoot.  Also got to shoot a S&W 29.  Though it rose quite a bit in recoil, it was still fun to shoot though 50 consecutive rounds might add up to less fun.  99% of gun owners don't NEED anything more than a 40, they have the right to any thing they want to shoot.  The one gun I really wanted when I was young but could not afford, was a 20mm 10 shot repeater advertised in the back of Outdoor Life.  I think they were about $99 in 1963.  I was 13 at the time.

Online Mule 11

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 09:59:19 AM »
Ahhh, the old trusty advertisements in the back of magazines. They took some of my hard earned money of youth and never lived up to their claims. Eventually I learned the lesson.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 12:31:25 PM »
A relative has (or had ?) one of the
original Delta Elite, and has killed
several deer with it. No trouble with
it as far as I ever knew
Not really much difference between
it and the 45's I've had as far as recoil
or any of that
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 04:16:14 AM »
!0mm must be the new greatest thing around. I see where Hi-Point even has a new pistol available for it. We just go from one caliber craze to another with both rifles and handguns.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 05:38:18 AM »
now i think the 45 has a easier recoil then even a 40. 40vs10 isnt that much differnce. really none of them have enough recoil to even mention for shooting other then maybe recovery time for a second shot.  The differnce with the 10 over all of them is muzzle blast. It is substantially louder. About like a 357 mag. but as far as new and greatest the 10mm has been around longer then the 40sw.
A relative has (or had ?) one of the
original Delta Elite, and has killed
several deer with it. No trouble with
it as far as I ever knew
Not really much difference between
it and the 45's I've had as far as recoil
or any of that
blue lives matter

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 05:39:00 AM »
!0mm must be the new greatest thing around. I see where Hi-Point even has a new pistol available for it. We just go from one caliber craze to another with both rifles and handguns.

Thats pretty much all it is.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 05:39:59 AM »
I see psa is pushing some 5.7 pistol. Now theres something i have no use for.
blue lives matter

Offline darkgael

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 06:52:25 AM »
“5.7 pistol”
Kinda like having a varmint rifle that you can carry in your pocket.
I do not see it becoming a craze….too expensive and difficult to reload (more difficult than more mainstream cartridges.)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 08:33:01 AM »
yup a pistol is no good to me unless i can shoot cast out of it and am able to afford to go to the range with more then a box of 50 shells. Isnt worth the gas money to me unless i have 500 rounds with me. Then what do you do with it. Brag on grey squirrel kills at a 100 yards. Talk about an answer to a question that was never asked. id be willing to bet that none that are sold ever see 500 rounds. Ive done twice that out of my new 9 in a week. Well 40 short of it anyway after today.
“5.7 pistol”
Kinda like having a varmint rifle that you can carry in your pocket.
I do not see it becoming a craze….too expensive and difficult to reload (more difficult than more mainstream cartridges.)
blue lives matter

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 04:48:21 AM »

Thats pretty much all it is.

Capitalism at work. Drag it out, dust it off, and hype it so it will sell. Change it a tiny bit from another, give it a fancy name, and hype it so it will sell. Gotta keep those dollars flowing.

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 04:55:34 AM »
Historically one of the deadliest pistoleros Bill Hickoks' favorite pistol was the 1851 Colt Navy 36 caliber cap and ball. What was he thinking?
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Online Mule 11

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 06:09:28 AM »
It has one shining characteristic, it shows it was too much gun for the eff bee eye.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 09:01:06 AM »
i was told he only killed 6 people. Maybe a contender if you said "in the old west" because we all know gun fighting was much more prevelent in the movies then in real life. Probably a whole shitpile of south chicago guys that could double that number with there sideways glock ;)
Historically one of the deadliest pistoleros Bill Hickoks' favorite pistol was the 1851 Colt Navy 36 caliber cap and ball. What was he thinking?
blue lives matter
Funny Funny x 1 View List

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 09:35:40 AM »
i was told he only killed 6 people. Maybe a contender if you said "in the old west" because we all know gun fighting was much more prevelent in the movies then in real life. Probably a whole shitpile of south chicago guys that could double that number with there sideways glock ;)

Yeah, you're right. My point of marksmanship, and lesser caliber doesn't really make any sense.
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 11:20:58 PM »
from what i read he wasnt even a fantastic shot. Most gun fighters werent. He wasnt even fast. What he was was fearless. He could stand in a gun fight and calmly draw and take his time to make sure he made his shot deadly rather spraying bullets.

Yeah, you're right. My point of marksmanship, and lesser caliber doesn't really make any sense.
blue lives matter

Offline Dee

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 12:46:32 AM »

Now, moving on to my point, which was badly missed by some concerning the  10mm.

Bill Hickok enforced the law, and was quite comfortable carrying a pair of 36 caliber cap & ball pistols. A pretty anemic combination compared to todays modern cartridges. He relied on marksmanship and knowledge of the strengths, and weaknesses of his pistols, and they worked for him.

As O&S said: "HYPE" many times sells unnecessary items, including guns, and cartridges like the 10mm.

Now. As far as Hickok and his pistol it is known that, the 1851 Navy cylinders were packed on the face with grease to prevent chain fires, and that grease could foul the powder charge. Hickok is known to have emptied his pistols at least once a day to ensure that this didn't cause a dead chamber.
He did this by turning the process into daily practice, and was known to be a remarkable shot with his pistolsbecause of this.

So for those still missing my point? You don't need a sledgehammer to drive a nail.

As to the stand in the street Hollywood gun fight analogy? That isn't related to my point, and it has nuthin to do with my point.
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 05:31:51 AM »
so would you have went to work with a 36 cal cap and ball colt if they would have let you ;) Nope. You wanted to come home to your family every night and used the best dammed tool you could find. Im out of this silly arguement. I didnt know hickcock so i dont know if he really was a good shot or if its just crap that was written. 10 rounds a day was probably more then the average criminal or police officer shot in the 1800s just because of access and cost of ammo. But im sure you shot more then that a year and so did i. yup hype sells but some idiot toting a 36 cap and ball or something equivalent like the 25acp  as being adequate for self defense can get people killed and surely isnt the proper tool for law enforcement. The happy medium is in between. Id about bet hickcock would have loved to have a glock.
blue lives matter
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Dee

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 10:11:42 AM »
I'm done with this one.   ;)
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Online gypsyman

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2023, 01:04:47 PM »
The .40 and 10mm were developed back in the mid 90's, after the FBI shoot out in Dade county. They carried 9mm S&W's. 2 agents were killed, and 2 bad guys. So the hunt began, for a more powerful rd. Me being a 1911 guy since the mid 70's, decided to wait and see which one would win out. After about 10 years, and Obama coming into office, decided to buy a Hi-cap pistol, and the M&P in .40, adjustable palm swells,(short fingers) is what I have. Still have a couple box's of Black Talons in 180gr. Now days, since bullet technology has advanced so far, the 9mm is a pretty hot rd. as well as the .40. The 10mm probably isn't used by many police/law agency's, as the probability of a shoot thru is much greater. So you don't see as much data on that rd.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Online nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2023, 02:12:24 AM »
I'm going to skip the 10mm, and wait for a handgun that handles this lil pill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTNSLL-FEc
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline darkgael

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2023, 04:45:09 AM »
What I did as an experiment with the 10mm was reform some .45 ACP brass by necking it down to 10mm to make the .400 CorBon. Picked up a barrel for that cartridge, changed the springs and loaded a few with 165 grain bullets. Function was good, flatter shooting at 100 yards.