Author Topic: The Roman legions.  (Read 471 times)

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
The Roman legions.
« on: January 14, 2023, 11:01:53 AM »
Must have been very good at this at one time.  :) .That armor would great in knife fight in nowdays.lol
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline phalanx

Re: The Roman legions.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 11:57:42 AM »
The once mighty Greek Phalanx , was defeated and overwhelmed by the Roman Legions. The Romans flanked them on all sides. They never recovered, neither did Egypt before that. A Roman Legionary was a soldier, not a warrior.
Thats never changed. In any modern military structure.Politics haven't changed much either. Corruption, lies, worthless expensive endeavors.
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 04:08:49 PM »
  The Roman army wasn't always indomitable.  Actually, back in the years of the Roman republic..about 220 BC,
  The Cartheginian named Hannibal nearly took Rome down.
  After failed defensive actions by other Roman generals, Fabian finally employed the winning strategy.

In 9AD the Roman general Varus put Rome in serious jeopardy, by allowing 20,000 Roman troops to be slaughtered in the Teutoburger forest.

..But in the end, like most great powers, Rome fell, more to internal rot, rather than external pressure.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 04:10:34 AM »
The Romans met their match in Scotland. They built Hadrian's Wall in northern Britan to keep the "barbarians" away from them. A bunch of fur wearing heathens scared them silly.

Rome fell to internal rot. Anyone see the comparision with what the US has today?
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline TrumpWon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 04:55:07 AM »
Yes, walls don't work.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 05:35:33 AM »
Yes, walls don't work.

They didn't help much in China either. Although it is a big tourist attraction. Or it was ,i don’t know if it still is.
Constantine III

Offline phalanx

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 05:56:38 AM »
  The Roman army wasn't always indomitable.  Actually, back in the years of the Roman republic..about 220 BC,
  The Cartheginian named Hannibal nearly took Rome down.
  After failed defensive actions by other Roman generals, Fabian finally employed the winning strategy.

In 9AD the Roman general Varus put Rome in serious jeopardy, by allowing 20,000 Roman troops to be slaughtered in the Teutoburger forest.

..But in the end, like most great powers, Rome fell, more to internal rot, rather than external pressure.

They eventually split apart into the East ,and the West Empires. The West finally  failed ,the East went on for a couple of more Centuries. Called the Holy Roman Empire.
Constantine III

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 09:30:16 AM »
The Romans met their match in Scotland. They built Hadrian's Wall in northern Britan to keep the "barbarians" away from them. A bunch of fur wearing heathens scared them silly.

Rome fell to internal rot. Anyone see the comparision with what the US has today?

About 20 years after building Hadian's wall, the Romans pushed a bit further and built the Antonine wall, constructed with earth band stone, along with added wooden structures.
  However, they could not hold the position, so they abandoned the Antonine wall at about 158-160 AD.  Curiously, there were many iron nails left over, perhaps from the blacksmith shop or from burning the existing buildings.
  Not wanting the native Scots or Picts to get the iron to make arrowheads and other weapons from them, they buried hundreds of pounds of those nails.
  About 20 years ago, archaeologists dug up those nails.  I bought 3 from them, mounted in a small terra cotta "house".
  I have a historic souvenir, and archaeology has a donation toward their work.  Some claim Rome left the highlands, because there was no plunder available..and plenty of pain if they tried to invade.

Here is a song you will enjoy..pay special attention to the lyrics
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 09:43:33 AM »
Yes, walls don't work.

My goodness, like most Demonrats, you are hopelessly and badly uninformed..

Hadrian's wall was built in 122 AD..  Since then, there have been a few developments, such as;

Gunpowder, aircraft, and TNT.

It would take an 'act of war' to attack our southern border wall...which would move things to another, much more dangerous category.
  On second thought, even an act of war may not shake the Demonrats from their trying to import more voters.
   ..And they sure don't want to inhibit their drug-running pals..

Offline phalanx

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 11:38:24 AM »
I found some old Roman coins while snorkeling off an Italian beech. Not worth very much is what i was told. Depending on the time frame by who is stamped on it. And what its made from. These are about the size of a nickel or a dime, and made out of copper. It showed up because it was tarnished black in the sand. Merchants or sailers must have lost them in storms. Its a common thing to find them.
Constantine III

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 12:54:00 AM »
I found some old Roman coins while snorkeling off an Italian beech. Not worth very much is what i was told. Depending on the time frame by who is stamped on it. And what its made from. These are about the size of a nickel or a dime, and made out of copper. It showed up because it was tarnished black in the sand. Merchants or sailers must have lost them in storms. Its a common thing to find them.

Yes, some antiquities are more common than some would expect , and if they are things found in quantity, as with my
   nails, the archaeology project can sell of some as a way of supporting their digs.

In this way, I also obtained some Roman coins and a couple 1st century lamps from the Holy Land. 

I have given the lamps to my grandson, who is studying to become a pastor. They are excellent for illustrative uses.

Below, typical lamp such as I mentioned.