Author Topic: Boycott?????  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Boycott?????
« on: March 15, 2004, 10:31:41 AM »
Ha guys!  I know this does not have anything to do with NEF Centerfire Rifles.  But I would like to ask my old H&R friends if you folks are seeing commercials on TV about our killing wolves here in Alaska, and urging you to Boycott out state, mainly for tourism.  Friends Of Animals are the ones supposedly doing this.  I'm just curious about what kind of lies they are spreading down there.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Boycott?????
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 11:40:46 AM »
Haven't heard a peep out of them YET!
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Boycott?????
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 11:43:12 AM »
As a matter of fact the wife and I are planning an Alaskan Cruise this summer for our thirty'th, so will I boucott Alaska?  Heck no!  I'd love to see the place.

Just wish I could afford to hunt there.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Boycott?????
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 12:38:19 PM »
Hunting Wolves? The Alaskan Dept. of Tourism should have that add running. It would only make me want to go there all the more.
don

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Boycott?????
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 01:06:32 PM »
After seeing what they do here in Montana where they are protected, I would love to go up there nail a couple of them critters. :gun4:

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
Boycott?????
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 01:07:59 PM »
Sourdough,

I was in North Pole a couple of Summers ago. Drove up and back. BEST trip I have ever made.

I have 2 cousins still in Soldotna area so I have a good excuse.

If I see any of the ads I will let you know.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Boycott?????
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 01:09:17 PM »
Big Blue wrote:
Hunting Wolves? The Alaskan Dept. of Tourism should have that add running. It would only make me want to go there all the more.

:lol:  :)  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Boycott?????
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 01:22:13 AM »
I haven't heard a thing about that down here in NY...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
Boycott?????
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 04:44:40 AM »
Nothing here in JawJA about anti-Alaska commercials, maybe they're targeting areas closer and more likely to travel to your great state.  Mention a foot of snow down here and watch the fried chicken induced heart attacks ripple across the state.

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
Boycott?????
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 12:36:16 PM »
Big Blue I'm in too. :sniper:
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Boycott?????
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 02:24:00 PM »
hey i saw something the other week abt this on tv.
wasnt paying much attention but heard something abt how " we have to put a stop to this sensless destruction of these innocent and misunderstood animals" or something to that affect. if i see it again i will let you know more abt the details
btw im in georgia.
i remember thinking to myself i would like to be up there helping with my 45's
sureshot

Offline Sourdough

Boycott?????
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 05:35:56 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I think this will help ease the fears of the folks around here.  I keep telling them I don't think the animal rights groups will get anywhere this time.  Most people will realise that what they say and show are a bunch of lies, and exagerations.  

Wednesday my son and his buddy were down in the Alaska Range, looking for wolves.  It snowed Tuesday night, so when we found fresh tracks we expected to see a wolf.  We followed the tracks for about three miles, the wolf was running the trappers trail in the snow to avoid the deep snow.  As we came to the river bank, we saw the wolf running up the trail on the river bed.  Just as we were starting down into the river bed we saw the wolf tumble, then we heard a shot.  The trapper ( a friend of mine ) had heard our snowmachines coming down the mountain, and seen the wolf running ahead of us.  He just sat down in the snow beside the trail.  When the wolf got right in front of him he shot it with his .22RF pistol that he uses to dispatch animals caught in traps.  Nice big male.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Boycott?????
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 07:23:11 PM »
smart man!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Boycott?????
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2004, 01:51:22 AM »
Sourdough, I haven't seen anything like that down here in NC.   I don't think that the Animal Rights groups have much influence down this way anyhow.  Most of the good old boys around here have a rifle in their truck ready to dispatch any fox or coyote that may cause harm to their Fighting Cocks.  :-D  

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Boycott?????
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2004, 02:42:21 AM »
Sourdough, not many good old boys up here in New England (Mass), but all the same, plenty of guns in pickups and leaning against the wall next to the back door, especially around my second home, down east Maine. Haven't seen any of those anti ads around here, hope I don't either....<><.... :shock:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
Boycott?????
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2004, 03:58:08 AM »
Hi, I just got back from covering the Iditarod.  One of the questions I asked everyone I could find who had GOOD information on the subject frankly educated me a great deal.  I AM one of the so called Wolf Lovers and I learned that the pressure on the Moose and Caribou was in fact very intense from the wolves and that despite what I thought they posed a great deal of a problem and had to be balanced out.  While I'm still not a big fan of ariel shooting, I do understand the situation much better and in McGrath while viewing the race I had a great opportunity to learn first hand from the real experts.  I cam away educated and supportive....and NOTHING stops me from visiting our 49 state...the last great place in this country!.....and that fellows as they say is the truth..the whole truth.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Boycott?????
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2004, 05:51:33 AM »
I don't know if this has anything to do with what your talking about...but nite-before-last I was watching a special on wolves in Yellowstone..I think it was on the Discovery channel...and they stated that they want a "Free" zone from Yellowstone all the way up into Canada ..looked like almost a thousand miles...where the wolves would be protected...the narrator stated that it would have some impact on the caribo herds but that it would be worth it...I liked to choked when I heard that.

These wolf lovers are just plain out of touch with reality..along with a-lot of depts.of conservation reintroducing mountain lions in different areas thru out the mid-west and eastern seaboard.The depts. of conservation denied for so long that they have done this but everyone that has seen them know they just didn't get there by circumstance and had to have help.

They can argue all they want about needing them and wanting to populate some of the unpopulated areas...but those days as far as I'm concerned are long gone.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Boycott?????
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2004, 07:12:40 AM »
If they trully need thinning out, they should do it, but I've had several 87% wolves for pets,and they make the best babysitters there is.
If anyone catch'es a nice female pup I would sure like to have it.
But there probabley like the coyotes down here,and when the rabbit pop. goes down they start in on small dogs and other domestic animals. Thats when I get to use my 220 Swift or 223 handi.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Sourdough

Boycott?????
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2004, 10:09:05 AM »
Digger I hear what you are saying, but!!!!!!!!!  First of all a good friend in Anchorage had a half wolf, it was a good companion, he loved it dearly.  We took it on several camping and fishing trips.  He made one of the best and most faithful pets ever owned.  Mean time a litter mate was bought by a lady in Wasillia, she claimed that it was a most wonderful pet.  That lady had a baby, and with the infant in her arms, she went out to feed her dogs.  The half wolf came running up she thought the animal only wanted to sniff the baby.  The animal bite the baby in the head killing it instantly.  Tragic incident!  About that time there were several maulings and attacks by wolf hybrids.  Now the state has banned wolf hybrids.  Wolf hybrids have been reclassified as wild game and falls under the law that no one can own, or possess one.  While there may be a few good ones out there, as a rule they can't be trusted.  Also unlike a dog that will bite the first part of a person, like a leg or hand, that they come in contact with.  A hybrid goes for the kill, in almost all cases they went for the throut, neck, or head.  They still have strong instincts.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Boycott?????
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2004, 02:53:48 PM »
I've had half wolves and 87% percent ones, and the halve's are more aggressive than the 87's. The last one I had was 87%,and if there was a kid in the neighborhood playing,she was there also. The only adults that could touch her was my wife and I. The strange thing about them is that anyone could walk all over my place,and until they tried to pick up something the wolf would leave them alone. Needless to say, no one walked off with anything I had.I never saw her kill anything,but she would run right beside deer trying to play with them. The deer wanted no part of playing with a young 125 pd. wolf.   I sure miss her since she died of seizures.    Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017